Mag2C SSC P7 3x 4/5 SubC Mod

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here's a light I built for another member. I wasn't planning on posting this but because it's a simple mod with great results I wanted to share.

Mag2C using three 4/5 SubC 2000mah NiMhs makes a very nice inexpensive size P7 light. The P7 pulls 2.7A running direct drive off the 4/5 SubC cells. Even without a battery tube the cells don't rattle around at all.

Mag2C
Modified Hotlips-C
SSC P7 CSWOI
3x 4/5 SubC 2000mah NiMhs
Sputtered Reflector
KD Multi Layered Glass Lens (I'm really surprised how clear these are!)

The owner should really enjoy this light! I think I'm going to build me one too.

EDIT - Feedback from the owner of this light:
Man this thing is bright! Actually both are bright. The EL Mag 2D is slightly brighter but has a very golden corona. The Mag you made for me has a more nicer beam and spill. The yellow color isnt bad, I actually like the color. I ended up using the Mag2C all night. I took the Mag 2D out only once because it was too big and heavy for duty use. The Mag 2D acutally got hotter quicker than the 2C you made. The Mag 2C fits nice in my back pocket and doesnt weigh my pants down. I dont think I ever got this many complaints from drivers in my whole career about how bright a light is. I was second on scene to a shooting and accidentally started blinding the victim! Every one else that started showing up started looking for casings. As soon as I started looking, the light was so bright that it made the casings standout and way easier to find. Everyone there was saying "What the hell kind of flashlight is that?"

The mainstream flashlights out there that Law Enforcement community uses is WAY behind the curb! After using my first modded Mag (a 2C with a Malkoff drop-in) I was saying to myself, How is everybody else getting by with low output lights like Stingers, SL20's and standard Surefire lights. Even high end Surefires didnt compare to my Malkoff 2C. Then I heard about the SCC P7. The first time I saw it, I thought to myself "This LED is a freaking monster!" I was'nt aware how bright it was though. The Mod you did for me blew my expectations away. While driving around, I was lighting up entire driveways and porches pretending I was looking for someone just to play with my new light! On car stops, I would usually point my beam at where the hands where. When I used the 2C, it would light up the entire front compartment of the car. I havent done any entries or building searches with it yet because we were looking for shooter all night. I'll let you know how it does indoors. A one of my team mates asked me where I got the light from... I said "This here is a DarkZero Custom buddy!"

EDIT: More feedback below.

Img_2159.jpg

Img_2154.jpg

Img_2165.jpg

Left: Mag2C CSWOI 3x 4/5 SubC 2000mah, Right: Mag1C CSWOI GD3333
cswoi_3x45c_2000mah_cswoi_GD3333.jpg

Last edited:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
Re: Mag2C SSC P7 3x4/5C Mod

Darkzero,
Thanks for sharing. Even these "simple" builds help others, especially with P7 mods being new and "newbies" like me trying to learn as much as I can daily. I may just make one of these myself. Wish Mag still made 2C in color options.

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, that is a really cool idea! It looks like you have soldered the cells into a pack, are you still using the stock spring?

uluapoundr:

You can get a purple (blue-purple) 2 C maglight here: http://www.yourlightsource.com/inc/sdetail/239

It is confusing but if you click the black one there is a color choice, if they are out it will show zero when you add it. I have bought a couple of these from this store and they are great to deal with, and they ship fast. I have also seen sliver ones at Home Depot still. They blend in with the black ones in the box though, so they are hard to spot.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Thanks, that is a really cool idea! It looks like you have soldered the cells into a pack, are you still using the stock spring?

The cells aren't soldered together. The body, spring, & tailcap are stock.

Hamburger

Newly Enlightened

Can a normal Mag switch handle 2,8A ? Are these normal C-Cells ?

Nice one, I think I have to get one now, Q5 aint bright enough anymore :)

forrest

Newly Enlightened

Nice Light ! Could you please tell me where you got the heatsink and the reflector and lens, also what mod did you do the the heatsink? I want to build one of these also, Thanx; Forrest

Greg G

Enlightened

I really like these P7 builds for their lumens/simplicity ratio.

Very good work. I like the beam on that light. Great job on sputtering the reflector. :thumbsup:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

KD Multi Layered Glass Lens (I'm really surprised how clear these are!)

Yeah i bought a 52mm for Penta Cree Q2 Mag and 35mm for my WF-400 the lens(windows) is really clear, i kind of surprised with result my self. Compared to normal glass the KD lens looks like it isnt even there.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Nice Light ! Could you please tell me where you got the heatsink and the reflector and lens, also what mod did you do the the heatsink? I want to build one of these also, Thanx; Forrest

The Hotlips heatsinks can still be purchased from Howard here. I removed the pedastal & drilled out the holes as pictured here. You could also use a DHS or Litemania's P7 heatsink from the Fenix-Store. H22A is supposed to release a P7 heatsink soon.

The lens you can buy from KD. I still prefer to use UCL. The reflector is a stock Mag that I sputtered. I sputtered it to match the KD MOP reflector. Compared to PMRs, IMO KD's MOP is a bit more than medium & I consider it on the heavy side.

Left: Sputtered Reflector, Right: KD's MOP
sputtered_KDMOP.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I couldn't find any info on 4/5 C cells, what the difference between them and normal C cells ?

From the BatteryStation:

4/5 SUB C SIZE: DIA 23.0 mm X HT 33.0 mm

C SIZE: DIA 25.2 mm X HT 49.0 mm

C Size x2: 98mm

4/5 C x3: 99mm

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened

Thanks found the purple:twothumbs. Hard to find colored mags where I live, even Home Depot is limited.

uluapoundr:

You can get a purple (blue-purple) 2 C maglight here: http://www.yourlightsource.com/inc/sdetail/239

It is confusing but if you click the black one there is a color choice, if they are out it will show zero when you add it. I have bought a couple of these from this store and they are great to deal with, and they ship fast. I have also seen sliver ones at Home Depot still. They blend in with the black ones in the box though, so they are hard to spot.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast

VERY clean and nice mod :twothumbs

How many C or D Alkalines would it need to run a P7 sufficiently?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Original post updated with great feedback from the owner of this light.... :thumbsup:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened

Darkzero,
What a great response from the light owner. Thank you very much for sharing. I have to admit, I order a couple sets of 4/5C cells for my own build with those 2C purple lights I ordered. I can't wait to do them. I love my 3D, but having a 2C carry option is nice!

forrest

Newly Enlightened

Just looking at the batt. station store and the 4/5 c's only show 1250mah or the high rate at 1700mah, you show that yours are 2000mah, am I missing something? or was it a mis type on your end, I'm ready to order all the stuff and I really appreciate your help! thanx: Forrest