Torch UI difference

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking of getting a Fenix light but am starting to wonder about the UI. I am used to Maglites, you click them momentarily on, on or off. I love this simplicity. By videos I have seen it looks overly complex with the Fenix lights, such as the P3D, it looks as though you must click it on and then keep clicking until its on the brightness level you want.
I love simplicity and this is making me start to think the Surefire Nitrolon G2 LED may be better option.
Or am I totally wrong here?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
With the Fenix and most other multimode lights, a click is aways on or off.

To change modes, you half press or tap the switch.

There are two groups of modes, one with the bezel loose is general mode and tight is turbo mode.

General mode:
Low-(tap/half press)-> medium-(tap/half press)->high-(tap/half press)->SOS-(tap/half press)->Low(repeat)

Turbo mode:
Turbo-(tap/half press)->Storbe-(tap/half press)->(repeat)

If the light is left off for 2 seconds or more, it resets to the first mode of the group.

It sounds a lot harder then it is. It should only take you a minute or less to get it.

Last edited:

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
It is easy enough to remember but doesn't it get annoying every time you want light? I use momentary light a lot just to flash around and have a look, I will probably use high the most so I would have to click the button 3 times every time I want light. Or have I got this wrong?

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I think all Surefires have momentary on don't they? How do they vary the light levels on models which have this feature?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well you can keep it in turbo, or get a L2T V2.0(tighten = high, loosen = low and nothing else)

Some Surefires use a similar tapping thing(Examples E1L, E2L). Others like the L1 have a special two stage switch, soft = low, harder press = high. Still others have a ring to control the modes like the U2. Turn the ring to the mode you want.