AA EDB Light

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have been planning on getting a L0D and now am curious if an AA light would be a better choice. It will be carried in my bag daily and would only be a little heavier than an AAA. Having a larger cell should give more output and longer run time should I need it for an extended period. Are there any available that use an up to date LED that are recommendable? I like to travel light so the smaller/lighter the better. Also a high/low beam is sufficient, and 3 modes would be even better.

Randy

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're trying to keep it light then stick with AAA. An AA cell has about 2.5x the energy of an AAA at 2x the weight, but the light itself is also heavier, so do the math: L0D plus AAA (inside the light) plus spare AAA weighs less than a 1aa light without a spare cell. Main counter-consideration is that for international travel, AA's may be easier to find than AAA's.

I'm not a fan of the L1D but don't know what I'd suggest instead if you really insist on multi levels. Maybe the LRI Proton Pro.

pobox1475

Enlightened
L0D plus AAA (inside the light) plus spare AAA weighs less than a 1aa light without a spare cell.
Every day around town carry light. Will load it with an e2 but not carry a spare unless traveling. Going to get an AAA for key ring.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
L0D Q4 is a good light. For bag carry, I prefer something a little better. I'd get a Fenix L1D Q5 or if you don't like it's multi modes, then Fenix's L1T V2 Q2. Simple 2 stage light.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome to CPF.

Great question. I'm actually coming from the other way - I EDC AA lights like the L1D Q5, and am contemplating the AAA light like L0D Q4 and/or LiteFlux LF2X.

Having said that though, the 1AA light like the L1D is a very great EDC and I don't think it's too big for me at all. I also think AA's are slightly easier to obtain than AAAs and a bit cheaper. So to me, the best EDC value / sweet spot is AAs (especially if you're using Nimhs like Eneloops).

But I will get at least one AAA light to have as a back up and possibly EDC to use.

For your use, I highly recommend the Fenix L1D Q5. It's my most used light, even though I have other great 1AA lights like the NDI and Jet-1 IBS.

Enjoy. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
If you don't mind the digital interface, the L0D with an eneloop is a great combination. The L0D does NOT work well on alkaline cells especially if you use the high power setting much. The powerful AA lights aren't that great on alkalines either. If you want a reasonably bright alkaline powered AA light, try the Peak Pacific with the 1aa pocket body in "high" power. For AAA, I think I'd stay with the 5mm lights (Arc AAA, Fenix E01).