Why TIR for the SF E-Series lights?

vtec

Newly Enlightened
Why is SF using the TIR for the E-Series lights? Inova no longer uses the TIROS.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possible reason for using TIRs is because they are more efficient. There were some tests done here on CPF, and it was found that a reflector/glass window combination only released 65-70% of the bulb lumens as torch lumens. Better TIR optics were up around 90% efficiency!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The SF optics in the E-Series and L1 does a phantastic job. Maybe that's the reason why they use it? I have yet to see a reflector being able to achieve such a beam in a small E-Series head and in lightweight plastic.

Cree LEDs work perfectly with reflectors. Don's Cree adpated reflectors do produce the most desirable beam of a LED/reflector combo I know. They are widely used in mods on CPF.

Almost all the optics that came after the NX01 and NX05 in 2002 were made for the lambertian distribution pattern. Until the Cree and SSC LEDs hit the market, that is.
The NX01 and NX05 were made for the batwing LuxI.

bernie

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possible reason for using TIRs is because they are more efficient. There were some tests done here on CPF, and it was found that a reflector/glass window combination only released 65-70% of the bulb lumens as torch lumens. Better TIR optics were up around 90% efficiency!

Do you have a link? I've seen different results on a one german forum.