My Fenix L0D went POP!!!!...

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

This happened last night.

I have a Fenix L0D which I had on my bedside table. I didn't touch it for about 4-5 days. It doesn't get sun there and it's cold this time of year.

I tried to turn it ON but the head was really tight. I then twisted it to try and loosen the head and there was a loudish POP!!!

Taking the head off completely, the battery (new duracell, expiring like 2012) or plastic around it had opened slightly down the seam. It had also lost some of the black plastic down the L0D's tube.

And down the inside of the L0D's tube, it is now a stain there.

I will get some photos taken today and will edit this post.

Any one guess/know why this might have happened??

I was just thinking though, the head might have been screwed all the way tight (meaning it was ON until the battery died) My 18 month old loves torches so she might have turned it ON without me knowing and it remained ON till it died BUT, my little one is a pro with clicky switches, NOT twisties.

I might need to test her tonight with the L0D. See if she knows how to turn it ON.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I will add photos tonight.

UPDATED WITH PHOTOS

2510975754_9f5805c686.jpg

2510975810_1cf9efe056.jpg

2510975854_d9e5c89d8b.jpg

The inner body of the L0D has build-up at the top (visable in the photo above) and the bottom of the tube. So it's actually a bit tight to put the battery in there.

What would be the best way to clean/remove this? With a philips head screwdriver to scrape it off?

BTW The L0D STILL WORKS!!!! :twothumbs

I have Duracell rechargeable AAA's so will use them going forward.
I can still use Alkaline's as backup, right?

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has happened in the past, I read about it on the Arc forum. The alkaline battery releases hydrogen gas or something like that. Don't use alkalines in a L0D because they can't supply enough power (well, only on low mode). Buy some rechargeables (eneloops), these don't vent gas and your L0D will be brighter and have a longer runtime.

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
It was late last night and I was in a rush this morning so I haven't yet tested whether the light still works.

I will need to get the "melted" black plastic out of there and then try.

Alkaline battery is constructed with the outer body being positive and the indentend button on the bottom isolated from the body and negative. The construction is just the opposite of NiMH.

If the flashlight somehow punctured the outer wrap, the body that's connected to the negative side will cause a dead short against the body.

It isn't necessarily Duracell's fault.

If the light caused damage to the wrapper and shorted the cell out, it's the light's problem. I really don't know what happened without pictures.

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you're ok. I hope the light is also ok as well.

Let us know what happened. Was there noxious fumes from the cell?

Last edited:

mackey

Newly Enlightened
Well, either way, Duracell will warrant any product against battery leakage, assuming you did not damage the cell yourself.
really? news to me

cause i'd like to be able to salvage a minimag that had battery leakage from duracells

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
really? news to me

cause i'd like to be able to salvage a minimag that had battery leakage from duracells
http://www.duracell.com/care_disposal/care.asp

All DURACELL Batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defect, Duracell will repair or replace it (at Duracell's option) if it is sent with the batteries, postage prepaid to:

Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT, 06801 U.S.A.
Att: Consumer Dept.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
really? news to me

MagLite will also fix your light if it had name brand cells in it. Give them a call and they'll service the light or send a new one if its not salvageable.

From their website:

Unfortunately, Mag does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. If one of these brands of batteries has leaked in your flashlight, send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace it at no charge to you.

http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=2AA

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm really glad this wasn't a thread about 10440 popping (that would be yikes!)

Had no idea duracells could do this. I'm currently killing one in my L0D...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm really glad this wasn't a thread about 10440 popping (that would be yikes!)...

LMAO! Yes that's what I thought :crackup:
Luv my L0D CE on 10440s with the Streamlight MicroStream switch and clip!:thumbsup:

warlord

Enlightened
I agree that it was likely a pressure build up and release due to using an alkaline cell.

I would suggest using lithium primaires for the best runtime and about 1/3 weight savings. NiMH would be a good second choice and more enviromentally friendly since they're rechargeable but they weigh about a 1/3 more than alkalines.

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have updated the original post with some photos.

Thanks for the feedback.

So in general, safer to use rechargeables than alkalines due to gas build-up?

I will have a look at the thread above now.

Thanks

Grock

Newly Enlightened
It has happened in the past, I read about it on the Arc forum. The alkaline battery releases hydrogen gas or something like that. Don't use alkalines in a L0D because they can't supply enough power (well, only on low mode). Buy some rechargeables (eneloops), these don't vent gas and your L0D will be brighter and have a longer runtime.
is this also possible in the other models like L1D, L2D, etc?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that it was likely a pressure build up and release due to using an alkaline cell.

I would suggest using lithium primaires for the best runtime and about 1/3 weight savings. NiMH would be a good second choice and more enviromentally friendly since they're rechargeable but they weigh about a 1/3 more than alkalines.
Actually lithium cells can vent and cause similar issues. I've have lithium Energizer cells vent in flashlights on several occasions, one time it was so extreme that it took a pair of vise-grip pliers to remove the head on an Infinity Ultra-G, and when it finally came loose the head flew across the room.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually lithium cells can vent and cause similar issues. I've have lithium Energizer cells vent in flashlights on several occasions,
WOW!?!! aside from the cost of lithium primary cells, I've always thought that one of the main reasons to use a lithium primary cell is it's utmost reliability over long periods of time. Alot of folks here expect a lithium cell inside a spare AA light to last years. imagine surviving a disaster, reaching for your trusty light and POP!:mecry:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!?!! aside from the cost of lithium primary cells, I've always thought that one of the main reasons to use a lithium primary cell is it's utmost reliability over long periods of time. Alot of folks here expect a lithium cell inside a spare AA light to last years. imagine surviving a disaster, reaching for your trusty light and POP!:mecry:
Oh, the light wasn't damaged in the least, it works fine to this day (several years later), and IIRC, the cell that vented still worked in the light afterwards. I've had numerous lights (mostly Mags) ruined by acid leaking from alkalines, never had a light ruined by a lithium cell for any reason. In this case, the light wouldn't turn on because the pressure buildup inside was too great. After the head was removed and reattached, it worked fine again.