BugOutGear Cree Q5 vs. Fenix TK10 Q5

Be a Crab Fight the Worm

Newly Enlightened
Contenders:
Surefire 6Pd w/ BugOutGear Cree Q5 "Super Premium" rated @ 230 lumens. Total cost: $110.
Fenix TK10 Cree Q5 rated @ 225 lumens. Total cost: $75
Both torches have new set of Surefire 123's.

Throw Test:
Took both out to a dark country road, turned off the headlights. Target was a treetop about 100-150 yards away. The SF-BOG had effective throw at this distance but illuminated the target only softly. The TK10 was more effective as a spotlight and provided greater brightness and contrast. Compared to the SF-BOG, the TK10 also has a whiter hue. Winner: TK10.

Ceiling Bounce Test:
Dark room, white ceiling--you know the drill. Objective is to look at a poster in far corner of my room while either light shines on the ceiling, and compare the level of detail observable in the poster. Since the TK10 seemed brighter before this test, I started with the SF-BOG as a baseline. When I fired up the TK10, words on the poster popped up that I couldn't have discerned with the light from the SF-BOG. The TK10 has a tighter hot spot and a broader spill. SF-BOG has a more purple hue than the TK10, which is very pure white. Winner: TK10.

Conclusion:
The TK10, with its brighter hot spot, is more effective for spotting, and it also seems to have more total light output. While the lights have similar output, the TK10 is noticeably brighter.

Extras:
FYI the clip on the TK10 is worthless, but a 60 lumen mode is a plus. Both lights are tanks, top notch quality. The 6Pd has some very sharp teeth compared to the round crenelations on the TK10.

Hope this helps.

Be a Crab Fight the Worm

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire 6Pd Q5 vs. Fenix TK10 Q5

daimleramg, i'm sure there's a classier way of making your request. there are no beamshots, just my word.

DM51

Flashaholic
The Surefire 6PD host is irrelevant in this comparison – the BOG Cree Q5 drop-in would perform the same in any other suitable host.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my review of the TK10 I took beam shots of both the TK10 and G2 with BOG-Q5 drop in and Olight T20-Q5.

The OP is correct. The TK10 put more light on target at 50 yards than either of the other two lights. If you can find my review you can see the beam shots.

Bill

Latest posts