Any outdoor beam shots of a ARC AAA vs Fenix E01

MarkS

Newly Enlightened
I have seen beamshots in other threads

But I would like to see real world outdoor beamshots

anybody?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be interesting to me as well.

However, the lower lumens of the the AAA E01 and Arc maybe would suggest a better use indoors?

Illum

Flashaholic
outdoor beamshots won't look too good...assuming of course you could capture it...
cameras, unless its completely manual will step down really bright lights and step-up really dim lights...so even if you could see the difference between them in outdoors, the intensity wouldn't be accurate

I know cuz I've tried, the E01 gave no light on camera beyond 3 feet:ohgeez:

EDIT: :bow: to WadeF :bow:

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output is low enough as it is, an outdoors environment will just swallow it all up. There's no punch in these lights with the short and small reflectors. The indoors shots probably show the output best.

paulr

Flashaholic
These are basically indoor lights. Ourdoors they will light up the ground in front of you enough to see what you are about to step on. They are not made for distant illumination.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
:cool:
outdoor beamshots won't look too good...assuming of course you could capture it...
cameras, unless its completely manual will step down really bright lights and step-up really dim lights...so even if you could see the difference between them in outdoors, the intensity wouldn't be accurate

I know cuz I've tried, the E01 gave no light on camera beyond 3 feet

Are you issueing a challenge sir? :) Gimme a minute, gotta find my shoes.:cool:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go! Arc GS compared with my Fenix E01 Olive and E01 Orange.

I shut off all the lights to get part of my back yard as dark as I could. This is a "control" shot at 7 seconds (I meant 5 seconds, oops), longer than any of the other exposures, so it's pretty dark:

These first shots are 5 seconds, f/2.8, ISO 100, WB set to daylight. These look comparable to what I saw, these lights put out plenty of light for this range, which is around 7-8 feet.

Arc GS:

Fenix E01 Olive:

Fenix E01 Orange:

Now with a 1 second exposure, which looks darker than it did in person:

Arc GS:

Fenix E01 Olive:

Fenix E01 Orange:

Same 1 second exposure, but I'm standing close to the leaves so you can see the spill, I tried to hold the light in the same general place each time, but it's probably not perfect:

Arc GS:

Fenix E01 Olive:

Fenix E01 Orange:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work Wade.

These lights really do put out more light then one would think when it is really dark.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: wade...

i once cranked the exposure to something like 8 seconds (iirc) on an EOS in a dark auditiorium...

overexposed was an understatement...the whole thing was white!

Crenshaw

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, leave it to WadeF :thumbsup:... Awesome job on the photos, and thanks for noting the settings.

txmatt

Enlightened
Great shots! I forget how pleasing the spill from my Arc AAAp (CS version) is until I use it. The Arc is a special light, but I'll also be buying some E01's (for gifts).

paulr

Flashaholic
Very nice pics. I have a GS and a CS and the GS puts out more photons but I gotta admit that the CS has prettier spill. I wasn't planning to get a DS but maybe I'll get one sometime.

Illum

Flashaholic
:wow: :kewlpics:
:aaa::huh2: :thanks:
:candle:

I need a new camera is what I need, something completely manual and a good tripod
your last three shots convinced me it was something luxeon based at the minimum:nana:

:bump:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, a tripod is a must. I just use a mini-tripod since I'm just using a little Sony P-200. It has been a great little camera, but it is starting to get dust inside, which is showing up in some of my product style shots on the white background.

I also use the self timer so I'm not bumping the camera around while it is trying to expose the image. Self timer + tripod will result in great long time exposures.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Although I probably won't be taking beam shots, I'll be camping this weekend and both the Arc and E01 will be going with me for a workout. You'd be amazed how much little light you really need in total darkness.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be amazed how much little light you really need in total darkness.

I completely agree, anybody who says these are not for outdoors should get out to where there is no light pollution, you would be amazed that these Little AAA's all the sudden have some decent throw to them!

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely agree, anybody who says these are not for outdoors should get out to where there is no light pollution, you would be amazed that these Little AAA's all the sudden have some decent throw to them!
Yep, I've used a lit up mobile phone keypad to see where I was going in the past. Night adapted eyes are amazing things!

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your Olive one a lot better than the Orange one. It's quite an eye opener to see how much variation there can be in output.