Flashaholics - afraid of the dark?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering how many flashaholics are afraid of the dark. Not necessarily a flashaholic because of fear of darkness.

I ask because it seems like a logical enough question, but being one, of course, doesn't necessitate being the other.

My X-girlfriend is afraid of the dark, and doesn't like things like taking out the garbage by herself at night, but doesn't have a working flashlight in the house. She just kind of does it even though she's afraid, when someone isn't there to go with her.
Doesn't it seem like I could easily convert her?

note:
Achluophobia- Fear of darkness.
Lygophobia- Fear of darkness.
Myctophobia- Fear of darkness.
Nyctohylophobia- Fear of dark wooded areas, of forests at night.
Nyctophobia- Fear of the dark or of night.
Scotophobia- Fear of darkness.

(I had to look it up, and was surprised to see so many names for it)

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Well...

I'm not really afraid of the dark.

But I told my wife that, so that she would let me get wierd and expensive flashlights...

I have very good night vision, and unless I am indoors, can see quite well when it is dark.

Abe.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not afraid of the dark, but I'm HYPER claustrophobic and acrophobic.

Ask me to crawl through a sewer tunnel and I'm more likely to faint. Ask me to pilot an airplane and I would probably just grow wings and say a prayer...

My first plane ride, I remembered opening my eyes for a grand total of 5 minutes (because I had to go to the restroom), out of a 6 hour ride, with the WINDOW SEAT of all places.

And when I was up in Yosemite for the first time, I've never felt that much primal feal in my life. It's almost literally heart stopping. And with my asthma, it's not good.

Now imagine, if I were in a small airplane flying at night with a small window to see outside and the lights all of a sudden, just died... I'd probably forget my masculinity and just wet myself...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I didn't used to be....

Funny thing is, I used to be completely comfortable wandering around in the dark- even in pitch black, I had kind of a sense for things.

Then I found CPF and now any time I leave the house I make sure that I have at least two lights with me, and use the darn things even when there is enough ambient light to get around with.

I think having flashlights MAKES you afraid of the dark....

Of course that bear might have had something to do with it too....

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I love the dark...also like to have the "most correct" tools that I need to do my job/task in the dark...also like to help other's out if needed...also like to be "johnny 'on the spot' with 'WOW' technology".

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not afraid of the dark; the dark is afraid of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though I can truly relate to Silviron's statement, "Then I found CPF and now any time I leave the house I make sure that I have at least two lights with me, and use the darn things even when there is enough ambient light to get around with."

Pat

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also quite like the dark. And Johnny on the spot with WOW technology, exactly.

I won't fly (aircraft maintenance tech, go figure), but I think I would feel different if I were in control, and doing the flying. And, I am afraid of lightning, that just happened in about the last two years, I don't understand it.

[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
I am not afraid of the dark; the dark is afraid of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That reminds me of eternalight's banner. "It makes light of the dark."

I think you just created the battle cry of the flashaholic.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid my parents had a hell of a time getting me to come in after dark. During the summer (no school) they just gave up but then the other kids parents would get pretty steamed at me for makin' their kids want to stay out too. I always had toys that lit up (battery powered aircraft, lightsabers and flashlights) and liked to play in the dark even used to electrical tape flash lights to my toy guns and play nightime assault with the kids in the hood. As a young adult I even took nightime jobs where I could use flashlights (nightclub bouncer, stage production assistant). My wife is always following me around turning on the lights nearby telling me I'll hurt my eyesight trying to do something without enough light. I guess you kind of never outgrow certain things. I wonder if there's a psychological term for really liking the dark? But I have always loved the flashlights ability to "banish darkness" from the palm of your hand. As I get older the amount of light needed for me to work or just plain see in the dark gets larger and larger and the SF lights and Arc LED's really are cool. I have even been checking out the NV posts lately (uh oh, better padlock the ol' wallet).

Well I know I'm rambling so I'll stop and just sa NOPE to the question of whether or not I'm afraid of the dark. I've always been on the "dark side" and it's been good!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom always despised this particular quality, typical of my responses back when I was young and could think clearly:

"I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what I can't see in the dark"

BTW: I bought my 4-yr-old a Fisher-Price flashlight that's fantastic; Aside from the red/green/none filter on it which is kinda cool just for that, after letting go of the handle (say, if he falls asleep) the light turns itself off after about a minute and so it doesn't run down the batteries. That's brilliant. He or the 2-yr-old also get the 8nx whenever they want since it's rechargeable anyway, and running the batts black hasn't hurt the 'bad' b90 set yet.

[edit] Oops. It was Playskool, not Fisher-Price that I have, but I bet FP has a similar thing too.
00144_imageMain200.JPG

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Have you ever been outdoors somewhere where you could not see you hand? When I was in Panama back in the late '60's, it could get so dark that you could'nt see the drainage ditch between the parking lot and the BEQ. The bridge over the ditch had no handrail and I can remember going across on my hands and knees (especiallly after a few rum and cokes)! When the sky was clear the stars were awsome!

No, I'm not afraid of the dark, but total blackness really bothers me. After 9/11 I get the willies thinking about the poor souls that were buried alive and died in the darkness. Any light would have been a confort to them.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I love the dark. I love being outdoors when the only light is starlight. I don't mind being indoors in complete darkness, except for the bumping into things issue.

I also love blinking lights. I used to tell people I went into the computer field because of the blinking lights they used to have, and people either thought I was nuts, or kidding, but there's a lot of truth in it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm not REALLY afraid of the dark, except I might run into furniture & boxes, and step on little furry tails without a flashlight and/or nightlight to guide my way.

I grab a flashlight for nocturnal urination and refrigerator raids at 3am, though with strings of Christmas lights outside my door and a Digitronics LED nightlight being tested in the bathroom, I could probably get around here without the flashlights if it were forced upon me.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
That reminds me of eternalight's banner. "It makes light of the dark."

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say I love Eternalight's add banner. It seems so perfect for their lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, now this is interesting to me. I seems that people that love flashlights, really like the dark. Doesn't it seem that it would be the other way around?

Oh, that fisher-price light rocks, doesn't it? I like that thing, I have bought that for a couple of kids that are afraid of the dark. It would be great with a regulator, too. And D cells instead of C cells. And what the heck, maybe LEDS? Wait a minute, does that use a PR bulb?
With that power-off timer and LEDs, you'd have to mark the calendar to remind you to change the batteries, before they leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
See, now this is interesting to me. I seems that people that love flashlights, really like the dark. Doesn't it seem that it would be the other way around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we love the dark we sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif need flashlights, whereas people that hate it tend to avoid the dark alltogether... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people like the dark because they can BLEND into the night.

Flashaholics love the dark because they can SHINE BRIGHTLY in it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not afraid of the dark. Can't see worth a darn in the house at night, so decent flashlight is required, to NOT bump into things (particularly with furniture in bedroom where I don't like it to be: in path to door).

I find snow acts as a light amplifier, even on cloudy nights. I actually dislike really bright light.