Lumapower D-Mini, Fenix P3D or Jetbeam Jet2 IBS

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for good throw, outstanding output for size and overall quality of materials, fit & finish.

My use is going to be hiking (primarily ultralight gear only), camping, bump-in-the-night duty and just impressing myself (honest flashaholic). I live on a good sized piece of land, so a good bumpinthenightlight may be used outside where throw and decent flood/spill is important.

From those of you who have owned both which would you keep if you could only have one? Why?

Thanks very much in advance. I value the opinion and reccomendations of fellow members here and expect to get some strong opinions on this one.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE EVERYONE, MUCH APPRECIATED.

THREAD CLOSED.

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Re: Lumapower D-Mini or Fenix P3D

Hi OCDG,

firstly, I have neither light so obviously I am not speaking from experience of the particular torches you are considering but I think I can generalise.

The P3D is brighter than your P2D-Q5 but I don't think it would be hugely so to the eye, and the beam pattern is the same for both lights. The primary gain with the P3D is run-time and a longer body to grab hold of.

The D-Mini has a larger reflector so will give you a tighter hot spot at a distance and, I think, would be different enough for you to be satisfied; plus if you want to show off, such a small light throwing such a good distance looks impressive.

If you are intending to use 18650 and are not bothered about foregoing the ability to run primaries (with the same LED module), then I would suggest considering some of the slightly larger torches as well. I have the Dereelights (CL1H & DBS) which have a choice of reflectors and very easily upgraded LED modules. Both are larger torches with good throw for their size and have reasonable run-times as well as the ability to run on primaries of Li-ions if you choose your modules.

Quite frankly I think you will be pleased with most of the high powered lights out there, they are mostly similar but from your perspective, I would suggest something with a little bit of throw next it usually gains more bragging rights if that is what you are after :)

Andrew

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Since you already have a P2D, the P3D won't be too much of an improvement.

The D-mini has a good amount of throw but there are better LED throwers out there(though they are bigger too). The best stock one being the Dereelight DBS(also easily upgradeable).

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened

Hi OCDG,

firstly, I have neither light so obviously I am not speaking from experience of the particular torches you are considering but I think I can generalise.

The P3D is brighter than your P2D-Q5 but I don't think it would be hugely so to the eye, and the beam pattern is the same for both lights. The primary gain with the P3D is run-time and a longer body to grab hold of.

The D-Mini has a larger reflector so will give you a tighter hot spot at a distance and, I think, would be different enough for you to be satisfied; plus if you want to show off, such a small light throwing such a good distance looks impressive.

If you are intending to use 18650 and are not bothered about foregoing the ability to run primaries (with the same LED module), then I would suggest considering some of the slightly larger torches as well. I have the Dereelights (CL1H & DBS) which have a choice of reflectors and very easily upgraded LED modules. Both are larger torches with good throw for their size and have reasonable run-times as well as the ability to run on primaries of Li-ions if you choose your modules.

Quite frankly I think you will be pleased with most of the high powered lights out there, they are mostly similar but from your perspective, I would suggest something with a little bit of throw next it usually gains more bragging rights if that is what you are after :)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I was joking about showing off. I actually don't have have anybody within a mile of me to impress:laughing:, but I do want to be excited about the new light.
I am really considering selling the Fenix power pack. I just bought a new Lummii Raw Aluminum, 160/25 lumen option, and expect to use it as an edc (along with a spare battery:))
I will look at the lights you mentioned, but really like the styling on the
D-Mini and the size power ratio. Much bigger than that I plan on adding another light in the MRV-Thrower class that was so well reviewed here.
The D-Mini will also run the CR123's correct? I will still have the stock shorty body and plan on using it also. I wanted to be sure you guys helping me knew I was planning on using multiple power sources.

I'll have to talk to you about the Deree's when I start looking at my thrower. Kind of hoping to wait a while for some more improvements too.

Eric

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Gunnur, I am also going to check out the Deree offerings. The P2D I have is rated by Fenix pretty close to the P3D.

The concern I have, not having seen both, is the rated output.
The Fenix is rated at 215 lumes max, the D-Mini 120. Again, I have not seen both so I can't comment on the supposed near 100 lumen difference, and frankly am skeptical.

cdosrun

Enlightened

OCD,

whilst the numbers are useful as a guide, I would really take a look at the reviews over in the reviews section. When you start looking at throwers you will really appreciate the difference between lux and lumens. There are some members who have produced excellent information and comparative photographs of beams etc. This thread http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191407 might be of interest to you to see the difference between the P3D (albeit a Rebel) and some of the bigger options. This one might give you an idea about the D-mini https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/162083

I really like the idea of the D-mini and have almost been tempted a couple of times but can't justify any more expenditure when I have similar beams already and the D-mini seems to command quite a premium for Q5 bin LEDs. I don't know how easy the D-mini is to upgrade the LED on but if you can handle a soldering iron you will be able to upgrade a P3D. I have done my L2D and P1D without any problems.

Andrew

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Andrew.
I've read just about everything I can lay my hands on for both lights, including the reviews, which were excellent. I also read the reviews on the other light review forum that is not nearly as large.
I am just looking for subjective opinion now. The large discrepancy in tested lux vs. lumens as rated by manufacturer was one of the reasons I wanted users to chime in. Too many times a manufacturers claimed performance specs are more marketing than representative of actual percieved or even real output.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened

I really like the idea of the D-mini and have almost been tempted a couple of times but can't justify any more expenditure when I have similar beams already and the D-mini seems to command quite a premium for Q5 bin LEDs. I don't know how easy the D-mini is to upgrade the LED on but if you can handle a soldering iron you will be able to upgrade a P3D. I have done my L2D and P1D without any problems.

Andrew[/quote]

Andrew, thanks for the info on the Fenix's. I had not heard of anyone upgrading them. I am concerned about overlaping lights and limited budgets also, so you have an excellent point on why you don't own a Mini.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Eric,
So, it really looks like you want a pocket rocket. Like many have said, JETBeam is really THE pocket rocket company, and the JET-II THE pocket rocket. However, you're right about the heat issues. However, the JET-III may be your light. The JET-III is one of the most compact 18650 lights. Beam is about the same as the JET-II, and the runtime and heat issues are completely fixed. On a side note, JETBeam is coming out with the JET-II PRO IBS, with IMHO the perfect clip, and and option for a smooth reflector. The JET-II might break 15K lux with a SMO reflector :eek: Unfortunately, no sign of the JET-II IBS's heat and runtime problems being resolved in the PRO.

Perhaps the most surprising throw for its size will come from the JET-I PRO IBS. The PRO put out around 4,500 lux@1m in a AA form factor. The IBS circuit will have the potential for almost twice that much. However, heating will be an issue again, although I beleive it is better heatsinked than the JET-I MK.II.

I am endlessly impressed with my Tiablo MA6. My review is the only MA6 review on light-reviews.com/forum. However, this isn't as compact as I beleive you would like.

The P3D is an all-flood light. It is not good for long-distance illumination. The TK10 is Fenix's current furthest thrower, but still not nearly as far as a JETBeam.

The D-mini is a bit behind in terms of output. With an 18650 you will gain runtime, but no output. Throw is only around 6,000, equivalent to a TK10. I personally think it looks pretty bad with the extension tube - bad news is, apparently so do many customers, because I haven't seen that form factor you like in any other lights.

Hope this helps :)

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Frank,

Thanks, I really like the O-light's, but they seem almost identical to the Fenix line. That is a good thing in my mind, but I have a Fenix P2D Q5 premium( :eek:whatever that means) that is almost identical to the O-light.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
I came to the light,

Hey thanks. I sent you a pm earlier, check it out.

I have been biasing my analysis giving too much emphasis to lumens (mfr rated), and this was over weighting lights with good flood and total output, but much less throw at distance. I took the Huntlight & P2D (currently my two overall brightest) out front last night and was evaluating beamshots at the pines 40-65yrds. I was hit over the head with the fact that both of these lights have great output, but like the P3D and similar lights, have no where near the throw and volume at distance that I need. I want something that will allow me to clearly paint and identify things at least 100 and preferably up to 140+yrds with a decent amount of light. I am expanding and revising my list and will try to remain patient. I want to see if I can find a Spear to check out. I realize now I need a serious thrower, but the size is a big question on this more dedicated class.
The upcoming Jetbeam Jet2 pro may be my answer. We'll see

Patience Grasshopper...

Anyone see the new Titanium toy from Jbeam???:devil:

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came to the light,

Hey thanks. I sent you a pm earlier, check it out.

I have been biasing my analysis giving too much emphasis to lumens (mfr rated), and this was over weighting lights with good flood and total output, but much less throw at distance. I took the Huntlight & P2D (currently my two overall brightest) out front last night and was evaluating beamshots at the pines 40-65yrds. I was hit over the head with the fact that both of these lights have great output, but like the P3D and similar lights, have no where near the throw and volume at distance that I need. I want something that will allow me to clearly paint and identify things at least 100 and preferably up to 140+yrds with a decent amount of light. I am expanding and revising my list and will try to remain patient. I want to see if I can find a Spear to check out. I realize now I need a serious thrower, but the size is a big question on this more dedicated class.
The upcoming Jetbeam Jet2 pro may be my answer. We'll see

Patience Grasshopper...

Anyone see the new Titanium toy from Jbeam???:devil:

Well, for that distance you need a MA6 at a minimum. Like I've said, you can't reach that much lux with a single battery yet... but maybe with the SMO JET-II PRO.

Now, to your real LED throwers. There are really only three, and strangely they are all 158mm long. They are, in order of throw, the Dereelight DBS v2 1S, 2SD, or 3SD, Raidfire Spear, and Tiablo A9. I would not recommend the A9 - I have owned it, and it is not well made. The Spear is really excellent in every way. It's only flaw is that it can't beat the DBS in throw :) The DBS has excellent build, and is first place for throw. If you're considering the DBS, also see StefanFS's thread on it - the third of his homemade pill can give you a few more minutes of runtime, or can be set to give you amazing levels of output, and therefore throw.