Password Protected Pen Drives?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Does anyone know of any 3rd party software that can be used to password protect different manufactured thumb drives.

Thanks for any input.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
truecrypt.org

+1
You can either encrypt the entire drive (requiring it be used on a system with truecrypt installed) or make a large container file and run the portable version from the stick when you want to access it. The catch is both ways require that you have administrator access on the system you are using to access your data.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
baterija:

I was a tanker also from 81 to 84. I trained on the M60A3s which looks like your avatar. 3rd AD and 4th ID.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that it's a better idea to encrypt the stuff you put on the drives than the drives themselves.
Are you sure?

As hard as it is to securely delete data from HDDs (Peter Guttman's 1996 "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory,") to me, at least, the Wear Leveling technology used by many thumb drive manufacturers would seem to mean that any PLAINTEXT created on a USB flash drive would probably be much harder to remove by 'erasing' or 'wiping' software AND those crypto aps that claim specifically to decrypt and then re-encrypt a file the to same disk location (to cover the plaintext.) Wear Leveling would probably mean that an 'eraser' would wipe an area that does not contain the plaintext. For the same reason any encryption ap wouldn't even know that it was not overwriting the plaintext. Wear Leveling would seem to make an already iffy situation potentially much worse.

Transparent, On-The-Fly volumes on a flash drive would, at least, seem to overcome those difficulties since no plaintext is ever written to the thumb drive.

I often use UNIX encryption utes that have also been ported to Win32, which is a handy and portable approach -- but a very long way from perfect. Ya can't win. :sigh:

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second wanting the A3's TTS (Tank Thermal Sight). :twothumbs Why slum by getting a mere searchlight.