Are we all scared of the dark?

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
I admit when I was a kid I was a little afraid of the dark...at least the things that the dark hid, as I got older I realised that I was no longer afraid-probably because I thought I was probably one of the more dangerous things out there (argh the arrogance of youth)!
Now I find myself going out more and more at night/early morning in the dark, now, however, I always ALWAYS have my EDC with me...I can not imagine going out withoput a light...so am I afraid of the dark again?

I certainly go out in it, but I have a light to defeat it, even if I am using a super low mode on my 120P its still there...are you afraid of the dark too?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Nope !

I am NOT afraid of the dark.

Simply want to have some control over "dark situations".

On MY terms !

As an amateur astronomer, i certainly TREASURE totally dark surroundings.

:candle:
_

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I kinda like dark surroundings. It gives me time to think and reflect on things.

But then I'll always have a light with me so I can have light if I need it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant sleep if even one led light is on.i had to tape over the led on my tv and routers

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always been deathly afraid of the dark ever since I was a very small child:shakehead. I would always leave the closet light on. I even had recurring nightmares, were all the lights would go dim in my house and I couldn't find anyone. This dream stopped when I finally got a 6D xenon Maglite "as my friends called it "Day maker" "it's funny to think that used to be the brightest light I had:ohgeez:" any way I finally had a dream were the lights were dimming again, but this time I had my 6D with me and when the Mag's beam couldn't piece the darkness I was quickly brought to my senses "That this was a completely ridicules dream, so I woke up, I guess I couldn't comprehend my mighty light not working so my brain labeled the dream irrational and I never had it again. I now will purposely venture in to the night knowing that I am now capable of killing it if necessary:xyxgun::D.

Now for some in dept thinking! It seems that simply not knowing what horrors were hiding in the deepest depths of the solid wall of darkness around your self is frightful. Being a human comes with the after prints of long forgotten times "when you blessed the sun as your true god that would keep the terrible nocturnal creatures of the night away." I mean image a time when man kind did not know of what lived at night for they them selves slept during this time so to the fact nothing could be accomplished "with out the aid of abundant light for our eyes". So small groups of men lived together and hid in the night when the predators awaken to hunt. So this is why the sun was praised as the most early form of a god. "think about it, when the sun came up it brought with it: warmth, security, and productivity".
Is it this very reason why us flashaholics are drown to our hobby? Is it that we still feel the primitive instinct in our selves to hide from the darkness, yet instead stand strong and fight it off. If one is to look for a power trip, is it not here that they will find one? Some people get a sense of importance / power when they play the role of God "producing genetic clones, Dr.s saving lives through science" all of these elements were once only God's domain, then isn't it evident that such a feeling of Godly power to end the night single handedly, gifted with the power of a hotwired light one man can literally cass darkness aside and substitute it with his own day. This my friends is truly the power of the electric lamp, over coming the darkness entrenched in us all.

Last edited:

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
juggernaut,

Believe it or not, I used to have those "dim dreams" too. Not any more!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never liked the dark. Simple reason. I was watching criminal minds once, and a character says

"I dont like the darkness, because its got an inherent lack of light"

its a very practical fear i think, after all, you cant defend (in very extreme situation) yourself from something you cant see right? and just over the week end i went for a nighttime walk in with some friends, near the beach, and we walked down some stairs, that had massive ants crawling all over the hand rail, now imagine if we had not had 6 lights (all mine) with us...whats the first thing you would grab on stairs if you cant see?

Same reason i dont like very deep water, or at least, any water body i am in, which i cant see to the bottom of.

Crenshaw

warlord

Enlightened
I'm not afraid of the dark or enclosed spaces for that matter!

I'm pretty sure crawling around smoke mazes with a blacked-out mask in full turnout gear would've exposed that. Although I have seen what happens to people who didn't know about their own fears. Let's just say it never made the situation better.

I do find myself talking late/early walks just so I can play with my flashlights now. :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not afraid of the dark -- I just can't see in the dark -- and it's dark every night, like clockwork. Do scuba divers wear air tanks because they are afraid of drowning -- or is it just that they can't work under water without them?

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love the dark. At least if we're talking about outdoors, far away from civilization. Walking along (safe terrain) from moonlight, or even starlight has always been fun for me. An when you're away from light pollution it makes for great stargazing.
If I'm in familiar place I enjoy sitting in the dark; I find it relaxing.
But if we're talking about SAR, a blackout at work, or some other such emergency situation, I like to be able to light up my surroundings as if it were daylight... or brighter. :devil:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was an episode on TV the other night, I think it was coldcase or something, I had never seen the show before. The guy that turned out to be the bad guy was terrified of the dark, and his wife said "He has flashlights all over the house, one in every room." My parents were in town vvisitng, and everyone in the room turned and looked at me........

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have those dark dreams then I turned 13 and started having wet.... erm..

I mean I'm not afraid of the dark I just like to sleep with my HDS in my hand.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can feel completely unafraid of the dark and be happily walking along in a familiar environment, and then you hear something rustle in the bushes (or clank behind you)....:huh:

It's only natural and proper that some part of you goes into higher alert when you can't see well, however safe you might be; and a flashlight is good for those moments...and for playing with of course...

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally I'm not scared of the dark. If I watch Japanese ghost videos on youtube, however, then I'm sure to leave the tv on.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Another amateur astronomy nut here... so I love the dark too. And definitely a "low light culture" person overall ;)
And juggernaut... that explanation of early man's experiences with the dark and his great thanks at the rising of God's Sun sure sounds familiar ;) Hmm... astrotheology anyone? :popcorn: