Aurora AK-P7 SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650)

Mark620

Enlightened
Is it even possible for 1 * 18650 to power this?
I dont think the battery could put out the 2.8A required by the emitter for full power.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it even possible for 1 * 18650 to power this?
I dont think the battery could put out the 2.8A required by the emitter for full power.

Depending on the cell that is just barely over 1C discharge. It is very possible to do so. The issue currently seems to be finding a driver to push the current. Just my observations..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Decent 18650s shouldn't have trouble putting out 3 amps.

But many of the P7 lights have a resistor.

Direct drive works.

Mark620

Enlightened
Okay, it can power it but for how long?
I would rather have lights with a 4 hour minimum run time...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For a 4 hour minimal runtime, a single die LED would be better.

A Seoul P7 is pretty much 4 Seoul P4s one one slug.

cv3po

Banned
Okay, it can power it but for how long?
I would rather have lights with a 4 hour minimum run time...

Backpedaling aside, you can't have it all. If you want that much power in such a small form factor you have to sacrifice some runtime. Or as another poster noted..............the P7 single cell platform isn't for you. Or maybe look for something with a long runtime low mode?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why can't Seoul make a P7 with a parallel series wiring of the LEDs so put 2 dice in series and then have the 2 pairs in parallel. Voltage drop in the 7.4 to 8V range and 1.4 amps to run off of 2 18650's in series directly. Doesn't seem like such a hard thing to have done.

No one seems to want to make any flashlights to take 2 of these types of batteries in parallel. I have seen 3 in parallel in a big fat round form factor which isn't too popular, 2 in series would work, there are lots of flashlights that already have that form factor for the battery tube. They would have had several flashlight models that they could have been able to drop their die into right off the bat with no special driver at all and made it work.

Not to mention that the 2 batteries in series delivering 1.4 amps versus 2.8 amps will probably run cooler and longer and have longer life. Is this such a bad idea?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Maybe we should get back to discussing the topic of this thread
ie. the Aurora AK-P7 SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight.

Plenty of discussions have taken place about the P7 led and these
have been conducted in the LED forum where they belong,
not the LED Flashlight Forum.

sims2k

Enlightened
I am still waiting for my Aurora P7 order from DX so any further info on this light would be beneficial to those of us that has bought this light. I am hoping this would be brighter than the SF P6 with an R2 dropin and the Conqueror M-C1 that I currently use at work.

LGCubana

Enlightened
Just received mine in the mail:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12809

(DX is doing themselves a huge dis-service. As the 5 mode, AK-P7 doesn't come up under any keyword searches)

This is without exaggeration, (well a little, since I've only used it for 3 minutes, so far) the best Chinese made light that I have to date & I have a lot of the aforementioned lights.

The threads are smooth, no grit.
2X o-rings, at the rear.
It has a solid weight, heavy.
18650 Rechargeables slip into the tube nicely. The rear, negative contact is a spring loaded piston. The front, positive is a goldish/brass spring. I can't imagine a current 18650 that will have an issue.
Does tail-stand
The finish is even throughout. I could wish for some texture by the rear; for a better "Cigar Grip". To compensate, I slapped on a #15 o-ring; which really helps.
Next mode memory. It will start in the next mode. med-low-high-disco-strobe (AKA S.O.S.). There is about 3 seconds of off, between SOS'.
Reverse clicky. With a slightly stiff, tactile click. Once on, only requires a light partial tap to advance modes. I could've sworn that when I first started playing with it, there was no memory retention; always returned to medium. I don't know if as the battery got a little weaker, the next mode memory may have kicked in.

The beam:
:twothumbs
While my UltraFire Conqueror (smooth reflector) M-C1, 5-mode has a more intense hotspot, the AK-P7's hotspot is roughly 2.5 times the size, with a more usable spill. I would be curious see how this unit would perform with a smooth reflector.

The tint is just a bit on the warm side. Which for me, is a big positive.

I was really fearful that the huge head would have created another champion thrower. But this light is just the right mix of intensity & general functionality. :twothumbs

Edit to Add:
The Next Mode Memory is time based. After you turn the unit off, anywhere inside of the 1st (+/-)90 seconds will get you the next mode. If left off for a few minutes, the unit will return to medium. When I get a chance, I'll put a stop watch against it, to get the precise threshold.

Last edited:

TheWalkman

Newly Enlightened
LG Cubana,

How hot is the Aurora running in high mode?

From other posts, it appears some of these P7 lights are running quite hot.

sims2k

Enlightened
I got my Aurora P7 in the mail today. It is the 2 mode only...very bright white...just as white as the Conqueror C-1 Q5 that I bought many months ago. I have tested the P7 tonight ... very big spill but still managed to light up the barn across our office building at about 400 feet away. No donut hole in this one..just a big round light.

LGCubana

Enlightened
LG Cubana,

How hot is the Aurora running in high mode?

From other posts, it appears some of these P7 lights are running quite hot.
I haven't had it on for more than a few minutes, on high; it gets warm.

This weekend I'll try it out for 10 minutes, on high & see what happens.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received mine in the mail:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12809

(DX is doing themselves a huge dis-service. As the 5 mode, AK-P7 doesn't come up under any keyword searches)

This is without exaggeration, (well a little, since I've only used it for 3 minutes, so far) the best Chinese made light that I have to date & I have a lot of the aforementioned lights.

The threads are smooth, no grit.
2X o-rings, at the rear.
It has a solid weight, heavy.
18650 Rechargeables slip into the tube nicely. The rear, negative contact is a spring loaded piston. The front, positive is a goldish/brass spring. I can't imagine a current 18650 that will have an issue.
Does tail-stand
The finish is even throughout. I could wish for some texture by the rear; for a better "Cigar Grip". To compensate, I slapped on a #15 o-ring; which really helps.
Next mode memory. It will start in the next mode. med-low-high-disco-strobe (AKA S.O.S.). There is about 3 seconds of off, between SOS'.
Reverse clicky. With a slightly stiff, tactile click. Once on, only requires a light partial tap to advance modes. I could've sworn that when I first started playing with it, there was no memory retention; always returned to medium. I don't know if as the battery got a little weaker, the next mode memory may have kicked in.

The beam:
:twothumbs
While my UltraFire Conqueror (smooth reflector) M-C1, 5-mode has a more intense hotspot, the AK-P7's hotspot is roughly 2.5 times the size, with a more usable spill. I would be curious see how this unit would perform with a smooth reflector.

The tint is just a bit on the warm side. Which for me, is a big positive.

I was really fearful that the huge head would have created another champion thrower. But this light is just the right mix of intensity & general functionality. :twothumbs

Edit to Add:
The Next Mode Memory is time based. After you turn the unit off, anywhere inside of the 1st (+/-)90 seconds will get you the next mode. If left off for a few minutes, the unit will return to medium. When I get a chance, I'll put a stop watch against it, to get the precise threshold.

Try this with your light. Most of the Chinese lights with 5 mode work like this:
1. Memory for any level is retained only if you remain in the level for at least 2 seconds. If you shut the light off and back on too quickly without waiting the 2 seconds, the light will shift to the next mode in the sequence, instead of retaining the last level used. Always wait at least 2 seconds in a level if you want that level the next time you turn the light back on.
2. In order to change modes with a single press, you must do so quickly before 2 seconds. After 2 seconds, that level is memorized and you will probably need 2 quick presses in succession to change to the next level. (The first click clears it out of memory, the next click moves you to the next level.)

LGCubana

Enlightened
Heat dissipation:
I left the light on high, for 12 minutes. Only gets warm

Next Memory Mode:
I left the light on (in high mode) for 5 seconds, then turned off for different intervals. It's somewhere between 95 - 105 seconds, that you return to medium; which is the first mode. Anything under 95 seconds (when last used on high) yields the disco mode.

LGCubana

Enlightened
(all of my posts are in regards to the 5-mode AK-P7)

I inadvertently did a drop test, today. Fell out of my pocket, onto a thin door mat (which was over a hard tile floor). Being vertically challenged, the drop was only about 29".

No dinks & no apparent negative effect to the functionality. :thumbsup: