Regulated Surefires

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I have done a search on here but either don't understand the answer or cant find it. Are Surefire lights regulated so they have a consistent light output?
I am looking at the E1L Outdoorsman which looks quite nice and would really like to know if this one is regulated, it has a good battery life.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I was told that the Nitrolon G2L is not regulated and light level depletes as the battery goes dead. Is this not the case?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is regulated, but the plastic head can't transfer heat well, so the led module automatically dial down the power after it heats up to prevent damage. Doesn't matter anyhow as new G2L all comes with metal head.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Does that mean that this light really can last 12 hours at 80 lumens?

steveG

Enlightened
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm sure it doesn't put out 80 lumens for 11 hours, but I am curious about the output.

Does anyone know of a review of the G2 or 6P that includes and output chart?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2L comes with a metal bezel.

The P60L used by the G2L/6PL/Z2L etc etc has a thermal sensor that throttles back the power to the LED to prevent it from being damaged through over-heating.

The output of the P60L whilst the P60L is cool will be in the order of 80 lumens.
However, if used constant-on and/or such that the P60L heats up the output will reduce to a level at which it can be regulated without long-term damage to the LED.

The runtime chart shows this for a constant-on test. Note that the chart used a regular G2 as a host for the P60L so it didn't have the metal bezel.

The metal bezel improve the ability of the heat to 'escape' from the LED and be removed from the flashlight. As a result the output the P60L can regulate at will be higher compared to a Nitrolon bezel.

Because there is an active thermal sensor the in-use output will depend on plenty of variables including ambient temperature and humidity as well as air flow; whether you are holding the flashlight in your hand, in a gloved hand and the ability of your hand to 'wick' away the heat through the circulation of your blood (your body is a heat sink!); the state of charge of the batteries; the type of use (momentary use / constant-on use etc)

Some people may consider that SureFire is over-cautious regarding heat and that it can drive its LEDs harder but the P60L is an LED Lamp Assembly designed and built for plenty of use over a long period of term (used daily for 5-10 years).

Al

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L is regulated. It will give constant output for a certain number of hours before stepping down when the battery can no longer supply enough power.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All LED are regulated, most incan are not.

No, most LED lights are regulated, most(if not all) 3 AAA ones use direct drive and some others only have a boost circuit.

But I think all the Surefire LEDs are regulated.

The P60L runs for around 3 hours at 80 lumen. The technology isn't there to provide 80 lumen out the front for 10 hours on 2 CR123 batteries.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Since the OP was asking specifically about Surefires, I think it's pretty obvious that jzmtl's answer was regarding Surefires, too.
You're probably right about jzmtl's post, I just wanted to clarify incase some one else gets the wrong idea.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
No problem, it sounded perfectly reasonable to me.

Yes, back to lights.

E1L should have around 3.5-4 hours of regulated runtime on high and around 28 hours of regulated runtime on low.