Another Use For WD-40...

Aloft

Enlightened
When I lived in Alaska, people who sport fished for halibut swore by WD-40. They would spray it on the hook before dropping it in the water. Claimed the halibut loved it. I saw many a 'but strike a WD-40'ed hook, but I guess there is no real way to tell if they would have been caught without it.

Qoose

Enlightened
Nibblet of thought. WD-40 may be good for a lot of things, but it doesn't do everything well. Many common objects will serve useful in roles other than what they were intended for, just not very well.

In this case, doesn't cocaine dissolve in a large variety of solutions? More importantly, I'm glad that many places offer seat protectors. Just imagine the slipperyness of WD-40ed porcelain.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
When I lived in Alaska, people who sport fished for halibut swore by WD-40. They would spray it on the hook before dropping it in the water. Claimed the halibut loved it. I saw many a 'but strike a WD-40'ed hook, but I guess there is no real way to tell if they would have been caught without it.

I heard about guys spraying baited chicken liver with it to attract catfish... never tried it myself though.

goldenlight

Enlightened
It gets tar off of my car and does not hurt the paint

That's because it's mostly solvent. it was designed to displace water. (Water Displacing formula 40. WD-40) It's useless as a lubricant.

Once all of the solvent dries up, it leaves behind a gummy yellow residue. If you've foolishly sprayed it into a complex piece of machinery, now you have to disassemble it and clean the yellow crud off. It can be very difficult.

Ask me how I know.

I use WD-40 as a cleaning agent; only because I can't buy kerosene in an aerosol can.

It's really a crappy product that is marketed for purposes that it is wholly unsuitable for.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
So then the question is, how many people want to sit on toilet seats covered in wd40? I can't imagine it's kind on skin, especially in the hind quarters.