G&P Surefire tailcap.... Hmmm.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these to use on my SF 6P, for police/military use, so I liked both the simplicity and availability of the strobe mode. (I also have a Solarforce cap which works great, but strobe is only available with the Solarforce drop-in, which also includes far too many other modes to make it a good choice for a tactical situation.)

I have a problem and a question. The problem is that with the Solarforce and DX Cree R2 drop-ins, I get noticeable flicker with this tailcap. The Solarforce flicker is only moderately annoying but with the DX it is really quite bad, an I like the DX drop-in better, so that sux. :) My Malkoff M60 works fine with it, but I really don't want to keep the Malkoff in that light. Has anyone used drop-ins with this tailcap that don't flicker?

Also, someone here posted that this tailcap will (slowly) drain the batteries even when in off position. I haven't owned it long enough to determine whether this is true, so thought I would ask and see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks in advance!!!

-- Bob

Rat6P

Enlightened
Hey Bob.

I had 2 of these.......they sure did drain the batteries........not at all slowly either....
Plus it may stop u from getting the last bit of juice from the batteries. I found the G&P tailcap was preventing the Lamp getting power, and if i changed back to the normal tailcap i was good to go for a while longer.
I have a Wolfeyes HO 170 dropin, but admit I never had any flickering problems.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I love the features of the G&P strobing tailcap, but it will indeed drain the batteries. It will also malfunction (won't "constant on") when the batteries are much lower than 6V. That doesn't allow for much use in a 2 x 123 light before it croaks even with LiIons. I tried using it with three primary 123s, and it worked well until I tried it a few days later and the batteries were dead -there goes three bucks! The weapon light tailcap with tape switch is functionally identical, and also unusable. Pity.

Bernie

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for all your responses.... I guess I will consign it to the emergency spare parts drawer... a shame!

Rat6P

Enlightened
Dead Nuts....

Yes mine drained the batteries down while just sitting there in the draw or wherever as well......I absolutely agree on the next to useless thing.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Worse, mine was on my home-defense weapon. Had I needed it in an emergency, I would have been screwed. Now I'm looking for a good but affordable tape switch for my SureFire compatible light.
Bernie

roymail

Enlightened
I have a bias when it comes to G&P stuff... I flat out don't like 'em. They're cheap and can't compare in any way with a Surefire part which is top quality.

Sorry... I know this doesn't really help you any. But, perhaps, you'll be like me and learn from experience. :cool:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I recently ordered the G&P tailcap switch.

It's going on my SF 6P while the 6P tailcap goes on a custom Leef body for a light that I'm putting together. That light will see moderate use.

My 6P is going to be used very rarely, and will be stored without batteries in it. For the price, the G&P tailcap is cheap and fits on Surefire lights. It'll allow me to still be able to use my 6P during those rare times I want to carry it. But yeah, the G&P tailcap is less than useless for an EDC light.

rala

Newly Enlightened
But yeah, the G&P tailcap is less than useless for an EDC light.

yeah, i plan on using it on a retired 6p i gave to my son when he gears up for airsoft games, then back to the original tailcap for edc. after all, its his goto light when he goes camping.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
yeah, i plan on using it on a retired 6p i gave to my son when he gears up for airsoft games, then back to the original tailcap for edc. after all, its his goto light when he goes camping.

A good idea. :)

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
Please, if this is a light to be used in a potentially life-threatening situation, do find a place for it in either your "junk" drawer or as a "fun" light. The G&P AI switch will not run on a low battery, it just simply turns off and cannot suck the last juice out of your cells like a good ol' SureFire momentary switch! Also, I've had one break on me as well while passing it around among friends. One of them pressed the click switch a little too hard and snapped a cheap little plastic tab that the light uses to click on. Good thing I didn't NEED my light that night, but after that (I eventually had to replace the switch before selling it all to a fellow Airsofter) I never EDC'd a click or a G&P again! Momentary for tactical applications all the way :ironic: