First impressions of OpticsHQ E2 Conversion Head

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an OpticsHQ E2 Conversion Head recently. The shipping box was well padded with foam peanuts and the conversion head itself came in a nice box:

OpticsHQE2conversionheadbox.jpg

OpticsHQE2conversionheadinbox.jpg

As also mentioned in bobvivantmike's review (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187677), my conversion head also arrived with numerous dings and finish flaws:

Some sort of tape residue left on the head
OpticsHQE2conversionheadtaperesidue.jpg

Gouge at the top of the photo, near the spring
OpticsHQE2conversionheadgouge.jpg

Another view of the gouge from the bottom (at about 8:30 o'clock), and sloppy threads at 12 o'clock
OpticsHQE2conversionheadgougeandbad.jpg

Despite the section of ugly thread seen above, the head screws onto a SureFire E1L body very smoothly and easily. Note in the above photo that the bottom rim of the conversion head is not anodized. When using the head on an L4 or E1L body, for example, this doesn't matter since those bodies have a wide shoulder that mates with the bottom rim of the conversion head.

However, if you use the conversion head with an old round body E2 Executive body, there is no shoulder to cover the unanodized rim. Plus, the edge of the rim is sharp and exposed as well:
OpticsHQE2ConversionHeadonE2Executi.jpg

Multiple dings on the bezel scallop tips, at 8 o'clock, 12 o'clock, and 4 o'clock
OpticsHQE2conversionheadbezeldings.jpg

Note, that there are also some dust particles inside of the head. In the above photo, the noticeable white "line" particle at about 11 o'clock just to the outside of the LED is a dust particle that his stuck to the inner surface of the window. The bright, white speck at about 6:30 approx 1/4 of the way toward the center of the reflector is a dust particle stuck to the reflector surface.

The conversion head is slightly larger than a SureFire KL4 head. For the OpticsHQ head, I measured about 43 mm long and about 29.5 mm diam at the bezel. For the KL4, I measured 36 mm long, 28 mm wide at its widest point, and 25 mm diam at the bezel.
SureFireKL4OpticsHQE2conversionhead.jpg

I built two TW4s using the KL4 and OpticsHQ heads and two E1L bodies:
SureFireE1LbodiesKL4headvsOpticsHQE.jpg

The KL4 head and associated tailcap came from an old L4. Note that the color match with the E1L body is not exact. The L4 parts are slightly lighter and greener than the body. The OpticsHQ head's HAIII Natural color is also clearly lighter than the E1L body. For the OpticsHQ setup, I used an old tailcap from a round body E2 Executive. The shorter E2 tailcap gave an overall length slightly longer than that for the KL4 setup (97 mm vs. 95 mm, bezel to rubber button).

When the OpticsHQ-based TW4 light is clipped into a rear trouser pocket, the larger OpticsHQ head looks like it protrudes excessively. Thus, I am currently carrying the KL4-based TW4 in my rear pocket as my primary EDC light, and the OpticsHQ-based TW4 is stored loose in a front pocket as my backup EDC light.

My light meter is in the shop so I can't report lux data right now.

I compared the OpticsHQ head subjectively to the KL4 (each driven by one AW RCR123A cell), a SureFire 3P with a DX6090 drop-in also driven by one AW RCR123A cell, and a SureFire 6Z with a Deal Extreme DX6090 drop-in and driven by two AW RCR123A cells.

Since the KL4 is known to have a floody beam, the comparison with the OpticsHQ head is apples-oranges. The OpticsHQ head has your classic hot spot, corona, and spill. The beam pattern is very smooth, even SureFire-like. I saw no rings or other flaws. The hot spot and spill are subjectively brighter than that for the 3P/DX6090 combination. The OpticsHQ hot spot and spill brightness are comparable to the 6Z/DX6090 combo. OpticsHQ beam color is also slightly whiter than that for the DX6090 (both the 3P and 6Z setups). Spill diameter for the OpticsHQ is slightly smaller than the 6Z/DX6090. Hot spot + corona sizes are comparable. At about 10 feet from a Spar Pro heavyweight dummy, the hot spot + corona covers about the width of the dummy's torso.

For kicks, I attached the OpticsHQ head to an L4 driven by two SureFire CR123A cells. I compared the two-cell OpticsHQ setup vs the 6Z/DX6090, then quickly swapped the OpticsHQ head back to the E1L body to compare the once-cell setup to the same 6Z/DX6090.The two-cell setup seemed slightly brighter than the one-cell configuration, but since the comparison wasn't side-to-side, this observation is a bit iffy.

I also wanted to see how the OpticsHQ head would work on my old round body E2 Executive, but for some unknown reason, the OpticsHQ head doesn't want to work with that round body. The E2 Executive body works fine with its stock E2 bezel and lamp, so the problem doesn't seem to be bad batteries or a bad tailcap (though I also tried my L4 tailcap to no avail).

Overall, the OpticsHQ E2 Conversion Head appears to be an excellent product. The main drawbacks IMO are the number of finish flaws as-shipped and the dust particles inside of the sealed head. Since this is an initial impression review, I also can't comment on durability.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some new photos of the TW4s with Aleph flat tailcaps, instead of the SureFire E-series tailcaps:

SureFireKL4vsOpticsHQTW4tailstand.jpg

AlpehflattailcaponE1LbodyOpticsHQco.jpg

AlephflattailcapwithMcE2S2-stageswi.jpg

I found that the flat tailcap combined with a McE2S flat switch was a bit difficult to use -- basically hard to press the button to get into high mode, even after lubing the switch. What I did was cut a small piece of plastic from a bottled water cap and insert that piece between the flat rubber boot and the metal button. That slight extra thickness resulted in a slight "doming" of the rubber boot and made it easier to activate the light. Basically, the boot isn't quite as recessed as before, but the light can still tail stand.

I am using a 60 ohm McE2S switch with the OpticsHQ head. In a darkened room test, the low mode hot spot was still a bit too bright for my tastes for close-in tasks. The intensity seemed about right for night time navigation. Thus, I think the 60 ohm low mode strikes a good overall balance. If I were not interested in low light navigation, but just close-in tasks, i would want a higher resistance. A 60 ohm switch in a TW4/KL4 is great IMO. The output appears to be similar to the lowest output setting for a Gladius (about 1 lumen).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Great review.

The dings are unfortunate, but not likely to stop me from getting this conversion.

Thanks again for the review.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I'd love to see a few more pics of the strike bezel version of this head. I've got one on order, but I'm having trouble picturing what it will look like with a FB2 body from VitalGear.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great review.

The dings are unfortunate, but not likely to stop me from getting this conversion.

Thanks again for the review.

Maybe I'm a bit picky but I believe a new product should look new. The dings and marks would be completely unacceptable to me. Yes, eventually I'll ding it myself but having a new product arrive to me like this one did JC shows me that there is a lack of detail on someone's part along the distribution chain. I'm guessing this happens at the manufacturing level since after that it's boxed and protected. I wonder if Optics HQ has an opinion about this?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my replacement light meter a few days ago (meter is built into a Mastech M8229 DMM).

Here are some quick and dirty hot spot measurements one meter away from the Mastech (flashlights were kept on for 2 minutes prior to measurement):
  • OpticsHQ (L4 body, driven by two AW RCR123A cells): 6400 lux
  • OpticsHQ low mode, 60 ohm McE2S switch (L4 body, driven by two AW RCR123A cells): 980 lux
  • OpticsHQ (E1L body, driven by one AW cell): 5800 lux
  • OpticsHQ, low mode, 60 ohm McE2S switch (E1L body, driven by one AW cell): 220 lux
  • Old Gladius (w/o the Seoul emitter upgrade): 2300 lux
  • DX6090 drop-in (E1L body, driven by one AW cell, G2 bezel, flashlightlens.com UCL AR-coated window): 5500 lux
I also measured 0.64 amps at the tailcap for the OpticsHQ head on the L4 body using two AW cells. The draw was 0.80 amps using two SureFire CR123A cells.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've been thinking more about what Patriot36 said.

I'm unclear about one thing. Does OpticsHQ make the conversion heads, or are they made by a 3rd Party for OpticsHQ?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking more about what Patriot36 said.

I'm unclear about one thing. Does OpticsHQ make the conversion heads, or are they made by a 3rd Party for OpticsHQ?

The head is labeled "TLS" for Tactical Light Solution. If you go to the TLS web site, they state that OpticsHQ is their US headquarters:

http://www.taclight.com.cn/productvist.asp?id=54

Note, however, that the exact same products are available from this company:

http://www.tacticalnightvision.com/illumination.htm

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know it has been a couple of months, but I received a slightly used OpticsHQ E2 conversion head a couple of days ago off of B/S/T.

Didn't come with a box, but even used; my sample is in very good condition.

I placed the conversion head onto my Surefire E2E. Best way I can describe the output is.... when I turn on the light, it's just as bright and has the same great beam profile as my new Olight M20 Warrior w/ R2 emitter. But, my upgraded E2E is smaller. And, the E2 conversion head has a Q5 in it. (Not an R2).

The conversion head is worth every penny. I got mine for only $55. But I like it so much, I plan on getting another one. That means buying a new one, and getting a new Surefire E-series light for it too. Even then, it's still worth it. My E2E has a new lease on life. And, damn does this E2 head have some impressive throw! Impressive, because of the overall compact form-factor of the light. A truly great combination of both throw and flood.

Overall: I give it two thumbs up, with a side of drool. :twothumbs :drool:

Last edited:

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I know it has been a couple of months, but I received a slightly used OpticsHQ E2 conversion head a couple of days ago off of B/S/T.

Didn't come with a box, but even used; my sample is in very good condition.

I placed the conversion head onto my Surefire E2E. Best way I can describe the output is.... when I turn on the light, it's just as bright and has the same great beam profile as my new Olight M20 Warrior w/ R2 emitter. But, my upgraded E2E is smaller. And, the E2 conversion head has a Q5 in it. (Not an R2).

The conversion head is worth every penny. I got mine for only $55. But I like it so much, I plan on getting another one. That means buying a new one, and getting a new Surefire E-series light for it too. Even then, it's still worth it. My E2E has a new lease on life. And, damn does this E2 head have some impressive throw! Impressive, because of the overall compact form-factor of the light. A truly great combination of both throw and flood.

Overall: I give it two thumbs up, with a side of drool. :twothumbs :drool:

Down here in TX, we like pics. Pretty please?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Down here in TX, we like pics. Pretty please?

I'd love to post beamshots. But I don't own a digital camera, and my cellphone is busted. Sorry. :eek:

If someone ever posts a beamshot of the new Olight M20 w/ R2, that's literally what I get out of this conversion head.

Latest posts