Wife got mad last night

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
My wife got mad at me last night. She told me that I needed to move a few of my lights from my nightstand to "somewhere that the kids can't get to them." Apparently, my almost-three-year-old son opened the drawer and wanted to play with them and my wife picked one up and shined it into her eyes. She told me that it was "way to bright" for the kids to have access to and that she was temporarily blinded and saw spots for a few minutes. I felt kind of bad and sheepishly asked which light she picked up. She said, "this one" and grabbed the Inova X5. I laughed and said, "That's not even one of the bright ones." She was not amused by my reaction. Good thing she didn't grab the Surefire E1B or Fenix T1.

da.gee

Enlightened
Never laugh when your wife is mad. It will not payoff for you.

Good story. I have a few lights on my bedstand too. Although my kids are older, I often notice the lights are not in the same position as when I left them last. I do not attribute this to the Flashlight Fairy as they do.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes no sense to me. Your wife blinded the child, not you. Yet she's mad at YOU??? :confused:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to be the wet blanket here but even a 5mm LED can cause temporary blindness to an adult if directly aimed at the eyes.

We as flashaholics should take measures to restrict access of our lights to children at a minimum.

Mdinana

Enlightened
Female logic :thinking:

You should tell her to stop driving, because the kids always end up somewhere else.

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
The problem is that you guys are trying to use reason and logic to solve an illogical and unreasonable problem. Just accept the fact that you are "wrong," apologize profusely, and say something about it's never happening again. Then forget about it! :thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic
Lol, you have to assert yourself and show her who's boss. Put a Beast II on your nightstand.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
good story...

fortunately I haven't got a wife:D LOL...and I'm the "kid" in my family:devil:

bitslammer

Enlightened
<RANT ON>
OK enough of this overreaction to anything the least bit "dangerous!" They are flashlights, NOT powerful lasers. If a kid touches a hot surface they pull their hand back. If they shine a bright light they close their eyes or look away!

If we're going to become that concerned then you'd better make sure you send your kids out to play in welding masks because there's often on hell of a bright ball of light right up in the sky at noon that CAN damage your eyes.

</RANT OFF>

I think this man speaks volumes of wisdom: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/202

Sure, a a society we need to take reasonable care in providing a safe environment for children but they also need to learn the lessons of action & consequence.

I had quite a few bumps & bruises, and still have a few faint scars from my Big Wheel, skateboard, bicycle mishaps as a kid. Those mishaps taught me some valuable lessons. Those lessons remained when I turned 16 and got behind the wheel of a 2000lb. car. I knew that careless actions in a car could lead to horrible consequences based on this learning.

Today many kids sit in a "safe" environment on a comfy sofa playing video games and never gain exposure to classroom called the real world. In their world a little mishap is easily fixed by hitting the "Reset" or "Play Again" button with no real lessons learned.

Mind you I'm a huge fan of video games, many quite violent, but if those are the only exposure kids have to mistakes we're all in trouble.

As a kid I survived: biking with no helmet, a chemistry set, climbing trees as high as the squirrels, playing Jarts, "dangerous" toys with small pieces, model rockets, and many other devices of horrendous risk.

If the only thing you have to worry about is a child grabbing a bright light you're in great shape. Mind you I don't count some of the high heat Mag Hotwires which can start fires in this group. Those are obviously like giving a child a blow torch.

Last edited:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
... She told me that it was "way to bright" for the kids to have access to and that she was temporarily blinded and saw spots for a few minutes. ...

That reminds me of a joke.

Me: I keep seeing spots before my eyes.
She: That sounds serious. Have you seen a doctor?
Me: No, just spots.

Illum

Flashaholic
I've had similar complaints with clustered LED lights....heck, once someone returned me a fauxton complaining it was too bright...then the next day someone else apparently left theirs on then returned to me saying its too dim.

not long after that I stopped handing out fauxtons

maybe I should put my SF M6, ROP high, ROP low, and Mag85 on the top shelf for safe keeping:ohgeez:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we're going to become that concerned then you'd better make sure you send your kids out to play in welding masks because there's often on hell of a bright ball of light right up in the sky at noon that CAN damage your eyes.

Bahhahaha lol that's a great one!:crackup:

Today many kids sit in a "safe" environment on a comfy sofa playing video games and never gain exposure to classroom called the real world. In there world a little mishap is easily fixed by hitting the "Reset" or "Play Again" button with no real lessons learned.

Exactly. If it doesn't instantly solve the problem, it's a waste of time. I think this is one reason why society in general has become sissified when it comes to solving problems- so quick to pick up a gun, sue someone or resort to childish antics. There's no need to take the time to hash things out anymore. My coworker epitomizes this.:green:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
posted by da.gee: "Never laugh when your wife is mad. It will not payoff for you."

posted by n4zov: "The problem is that you guys are trying to use reason and logic to solve an illogical and unreasonable problem. Just accept the fact that you are "wrong," apologize profusely, and say something about it's never happening again. Then forget about it!"

Hmm, so speak the voices of experience??? :)

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny story.

I know your wife shined her eyes by accident, but do you guys notice in general when one of your friends/family members ask if they could see your light for a second, they normally look at the LED and turn on the lights? I don't get it.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife got mad at me last night. She told me that I needed to move a few of my lights from my nightstand to "somewhere that the kids can't get to them." Apparently, my almost-three-year-old son opened the drawer and wanted to play with them and my wife picked one up and shined it into her eyes. She told me that it was "way to bright" for the kids to have access to and that she was temporarily blinded and saw spots for a few minutes.
Because shining any light in a three-year-old's eyes is the smartest thing in the world...

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Lol, you have to assert yourself and show her who's boss. Put a Beast II on your nightstand.

Hahahaha:crackup:.
Pretty funny suggestion. But I get the feeling that if fresnorich follows your advice, all his future CPF posts will be made from a computer at a public library, or somewhere else not in his home, hehe.