Red and blue Lux3 or Cree emitters...

Sable

Enlightened
Hello, great collective mind of CPF!

It's that time of year again, when the green things start coming out of the ground - and I start growing my hot peppers! Living in the Alaskan Rainforest, I've always had to supplement the natural light my plants get...this year I thought I'd break with the traditional fluorescent lamps and go with a home-made LED contraption.

From what I know, plants tend to absorb light best in the 430nm-ish and 660nm-ish wavelength, which roughly corresponds to red and a dark, royal blue. What I want to build is a great big LED grow-light - I'm talking 20-30 emitters - but I don't know where to start looking to find emitters in those wavelengths. In my somewhat-simple head, this should be like dumping a supercharger on my plant growth, and of course there'll be a long-term experiment built to see if I'm right...

The Sandwich Shoppe doesn't seem to carry Lux3 or Cree emitters in those colours, and that's kind of where my brain stops for reputable LED resellers. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for sources for coloured Lux3 or Cree emitters...

You might try Deal Extreme. I'd rank them at least as safe as shopping on Ebay, and they have some interesting gadgets. Worth a look anyways. :thinking:

Sable

Enlightened
They seem to have a lot of white LEDs on stars, which is cool...Mac seemed to have a source on red XR-Es or something similar that he used in the Scepter, wonder where he got them...

Sable

Enlightened
You are the man, Luke! I didn't even know about Future before - bookmarks ahoy!