Best 3 to 5 Dollar LED light

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
A friend asked me today what is the best light for 3 to 5 dollars. He works for a theater and is looking for lights that he can loan out and if they don't come back its only 5 dollars lost. I know it's a tight budget but i'm sure there are some cool ones out there on the cheap.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also at DX there's the 7 pack of 9 LED lights (3206). AT 13.02 it would give him a little stash at less than $2 a pop.

A little over the budget is the Dorcy 1AAA light...just under $6. That might allow for local purchase, and maybe draw those who are loaned lights into the flashlight section.

roymail

Enlightened
I don't know who he's going to loan them to (employees or customers), but I think the coincell light suggestion may be the best option... not necessarily the best light. But, they should get the job done.

I think a good investment would be to purchase a handful of SMJLED PR's ($6.99) from Lighthound and use cheap plastic hosts. Just a thought.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I say dont bother with the coin cell lights. They're not as usefull as many here would tell you. Yes its better than nothing but if you have a purose for a light, you should get a light and not something that is better served as a backup option. The coin cell lights are dim and fade pretty fast. If you're like me, you'll want to throw them away after they even begin to start dimming which is kind of wasteful. Tell him to get some cheepo 1aa light from dealextreme. There are a bunch of them listed under other led lights. They aren't going to be great but i'd take one over a coin cell light.

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
yea im going to say to stay away from coin cell lights too, they can be stolen easily or forgotten about in a pocket too, batteries can get expensive for them. the lights will most likely be handed out to employees

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Nothing fancy but small, simple, pretty reliable, uses a common single AA, cheap, puts out a good wide spot beam for indoors use, long runtime of about 10 hours or more. I have some nice lights but around the house I probably use these more than anything (I know, the shame :p ). They're good for getting a little extra use out of those old, drained alkalines.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1137

warlord

Enlightened
The sad thing is $10 is about the bare minimum you can spend on a good flashlight. Unless you're talking about a coin cells that is. I would suggest a multi pack of flashlights such as these or these and maybe an R2-G2 for himself that he doesn't have to lend out.

Edit: I guess this makes me a +1 vote on the 5 pack for $12.97.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
not sure how good it is but at walmart they have a 1AAA rayovac LED penlight for about $3 that may do the trick

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have worked in a theatre, and personally have used the lowest setting on the NDI and the LF2X, both work well. However they are expensive.

for lights to be lent out, Coin cell lights are too bright for back stage, or FOH work, and battery lives too short, so much that youre probably gonna have to replace them very often if its a heavy traffic theatre. i recomend these

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2976

AAA multipacks are much cheaper, and you dont even have to use the good AAAs.

why i would reccomend this over the earlier mentioned light (Check out this deal at $5.48 for 2. )?

is because this one only uses one AAA, so its alot more cost effective.

also, while flood is good in general, i have found that alot of flood in a theatre isnt good,espcially if youre working front of house, because you only need some light where you are pointing it, too much scatter may disrupt the other theatre-goers, and even distract the actors/actresses on stage. So you need a medium flood light.

use bulkrate when buying for even better prices.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I wouldn't go for a small key chain light or a small light all together. Here's the problem, if you lend out small key chain or miniature lights, you'll just encourage people to keep them because of their size being so pocketable. You'll constantly be ending up buying lights.

What I would do is look on ebay, for the biggest, most ugliest, and cheapest flashlight money can buy. The bigger it is the harder it is to conceal. Also engraving each light would make it worthless to other people. Also look at retailers for a cheap solution.

Steve

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Dollar Store or Big Lots sell any of those hand crank junky flashlights for a few bucks. If you lend those out you'll be guaranteed to get it back. :)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wal-Mart sells the Ray-O-Vac "Value-Bright"
2AA incand. flashlight, including batteries, for 84 cents !

Bright enough to see with.

Big enough so you won't "forget" it in yer' pocket.

- and -

Not really "impressive-looking",
so they're less likely to "walk away".

:whistle:

This will do the job, adequately.

And, if somebody wants a BETTER flashlight,

then they will simply hafta' go buy one themself !

:p
_

roymail

Enlightened
You get what you pay for... and the bulbs in those cheap flashlights aren't worth poop!

However, get these little beauties and transform those cheap lights into a very usable 10 lumen, long running light with a nice beam. Just perfect for a dark theater for seating people or whatever. And, they can be used with 2 x AA, C, D cells and don't burn out like cheap incandescents.

You said earlier that these would go to employees... so make them accountable. Surely their job is worth more than a cheap flashlight.

Friends don't let friends get lost in the dark! :popcorn:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep !

What Roymail said, above. :thumbsup:

Must confess that i, too, have put a 6 dollar "bulb"

into my 84 cent flashlight. :)

Does increase the cost quite significantly, however.

Flashaholics like us will find it worthwhile,

but i don't know about "normal" people. :cool:

_