Bicycle commute + Road Rage....?? HELP?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have been commuting to work by bike/bus for the last 3.5 weeks. I ride 2 miles to the bus stop, take the bus for about 9 miles, hop off and bike 5 miles to the office.

SO... today I was stopped at a red light, semi-busy intersection with traffic lights and bike lanes all around. I was stopped in the bike lane waiting for a green light. I was about 1.5 arms length from the car to my left, my front tire about a foot from the pedestrian cross-walk.

This car somewhere behind me starts honking. I ignore it, thinking its directed at someone else. It persists, and the lady in the car rolls down the window and screaming obscenities at me to get out of her way so she can make a right turn. I turn and look at her, and I continue to ignore her for 10 more seconds, thinking I am not really doing anything wrong:thinking:. I would have really liked to help, and move over, but there wasn't any other place for me to move to. The light turns green and I then proceed through the intersection with the rest of the cars. She makes her right turn once I clear out of her way... continually screaming at me as she makes her turn onto the cross-street.

SO... I ask all the more experienced motorists and cyclists. What was I doing wrong? I mean... I was on a bike in the bike lane, waiting for a traffic light. Isn't that where bikes are supposed to be... or should I have been closer to that car on my left? Am I supposed to be much closer to the curb? That however would still be blocking her turn a little, and I would have gotten scolded for that too. I'm not about to ride my bike on the sidewalk, there are a lot of pedestrians and families walking there.

????

mechBgon

Enlightened
So if I understand correctly, the car pulled up behind you in the bike lane, hoping to use that space to launch a right turn? You were doing nothing wrong, other than being in front of a methamphetamine addict going through withdrawal (or whatever her actual problem is). Cars don't belong in the bikes-only lane, period, and even if it were a regular traffic lane, no one has the right to expect you to get out of their way. You're a human being, same as them, and have the same rights to use the road.

I'm sure that was a very disturbing encounter, so try to take it easy and let it fade out.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't matter if it's a bike lane or a car lane, a bicycle on street is to be treated as another motor vehicle (even thou most people on bike stick to the right since cars are obviously faster). Next time get the plate and call the cops for road rage.

Oh yeah, it's actually illegal to ride bike on sidewalk.

Last edited:

mckevin

Enlightened
Try to stay courteous, follow the rules, and just accept that there is just something about bikes that pi$$ some people off...
Shake it off and hope the next guy doesn't run you off the road because he had a bad day.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That driver, like a few others I've encountered here in the crowded northeast, thought incorrectly that since you were not in a car, you shouldn't be allowed to interfere with her progress. If drivers would only realize that if a lot more people used bikes instead of cars, they would be fighting less congestion and probably get to their destination faster, they may change their un-enlightened attitudes. But don't hold your breath - thats likely to take as long as draining a few thousand batteries in a Fenix E0.

So no, you weren't doing anything wrong. She had an auto-obscene disorder.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Bike lane is your space. It's not a passing lane for someone to jump ahead of other cars to make a right turn, or for any other reason, even though drivers sadly often use bike lanes for that reason. You did nothing wrong. Besides that, were right turns on red even allowed at that intersection? Usually they're not unless posted otherwise.

I guess they're still giving out driver's licenses in Cracker Jack boxes these days. :( Don't let one rotten apple spoil it for you. Even though drivers are getting more courteous towards cyclists than in the past, I've had my share of idiots do the following:

1) Try to run me off the road just because they could.

2) Flick ashes from lighted cigarettes in my face.

3) Throw garbage out their window at me, or in one case **** out their window.

4) Tell me I belong on the sidewalk since "I'm a pedestrian".

5) Get in front of me and slam on their brakes.

6) Just start yelling at me for no reason I could discern (maybe they're pissed at paying all that money for a car and gas whereas I'm not?)

7) Curse at me for accelerating away from a stoplight faster than they were.

8) Give me "the finger".

9) Make right turns in front of me as if I'm not even there.

Well, you get the picture. I'm sure this won't be the first or last idiot you encounter. Don't let it upset you too much.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you need one of this...

gunrackim4.jpg

And wear a shirt with this on the back

honking1ez1.jpg

:poke: :laughing:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drivers wanting to turn right can generally enter the bike lane 100ft before an intersection (look for the dashed line), but if there's a bike there, well, too bad for the driver.

I always give cyclists and motorcyclists extra room, mostly because I've got crumple zones and a steel frame protecting me and they don't.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's all been said above. I bike commute daily and run across my share of boneheads. Looks to me like you did nothing wrong.

Enjoy the ride and always keep an eye out for dangerous drivers!

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

karmer, I applaud you and everyone else who commutes by bike!
Motorists are going to have to simply figure it out, its only going to grow....

That smelly ***** who was yelling at you, is most likely going through withdrawals from something like Clonazepam;
she needs to be off the road.

Again, you did nothing wrong, and you were right where you were supposed to be.
When I cycle, there is the occasional ******* that pulls a dangerous move on me (intentional or unintentional)
I simply laugh it off...:grin2:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't just restricted to bikes. People perpetrate this kind of idiocy against other people in cars, too. Idiots and a$$holes are scattered equally through all walks of life, there's good and bad in any group. I'd forget it happened and move on. Life is short and you could be thinking about ironing your socks or folding your shoelaces or any number of more important things.

In Oregon it's perfectly legal to drive in the bike lane to make a right turn provided there's no bike using the bike lane. It's also legal to make a right turn(or left turn onto a one-way street) on a red light after coming to a complete stop and making sure traffic is clear.

:buddies:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ride a bicycle recreationally. I stay out of traffic pretty much.

A lot of motorists consider bike riders to be arrogant jerks who interfer with and slow traffic on roads they don't pay for. Just like motorcyclists, hunters and skateboarders, a few bad ones give all a tarnished image.

Forget about it and move on. I got fingered this morning cause I was riding the speed limit (on motorcycle). I would have, and usually do, move over but there was no shoulder.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
First of all, I applaud you for keeping your cool. That is a test of character.

Secondly, I used to have anger issues and I used to be always involved in road rage. I'll tell you one thing road rage will do you no good, worse it may bring death to you or your love ones.

Thirdly, if you can ignore it. then just ignore. I know sometimes it will hurt your ego if a person cusses you or fingers you, but it says alot more of your character.

But, if the thing escalates, and the other driver is getting aggressive get your phone and call the police. (or act as if you are calling the police)

and...

Fourthly, one tool I discovered that is very effective against road rage is a camera. If you encounter road rage just keep your cool, and be calm yet be alert too. Bring out your photo camera (better if it has a video mode) Let the other driver be enraged, let him/her do all the shouting, cursing, one finger salute, let him do whatever he wants as along as he doesn't touch you or your vehicle (if ever he/she does touch you, then you have all the right to do what you have to do to defend yourself or your property, in this case your vehicle). It good that you document all of the other person's rage, you can use it against him later.

I do this now instead of raging back. And it amazes me how people's reaction quickly change if they know they are being recorded.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you did nothing wrong. Some people are just crazy and\or bad drivers. Just let the little dogs keep barking, there is no need to respond.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone for the feedback and kind words. Some of you who are into cycling can understand... the entire time shes yelling at me I'm thinking.. OK what am I doing wrong here? Am I insane?... I'm on a bike, in the *bike* lane.:thinking:

I'm pretty thick skulled it takes a LOT (much more than screaming and yelling) to really **** me off.

Daekar

Enlightened
Stich, that camera thing is a great idea.
+1, that is really brilliant. Fortunatly the only time I see road rage is when all the idiots come into town to attend Virginia Tech football games... and then half of them are drunk, so you really have to be careful. BIGIRON, I feel your pain about going the speed limit on a motorcycle, people tailgate me all the time.

EDIT: If you live in a Free State and see much of that behavior, you might want to consider getting a concealed carry license and a pistol... people get attacked sometimes...

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, I'll try to fit in with traffic, but that road is a regular radar hangout. Has several big shade trees.

Interestingly, a major portion of the required training course for a Texas CHL is conflict resolution and avoidance. They do a pretty good job too. In other words - how to avoid having to use your legal handgun. Wish the same could be done for drivers licenses.

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Stich, that camera thing is a great idea.

Yes, sir it's been working quite well for me. This discovery started weeks ago, I was about to go unto a ramp entering a freeway when a dumb driver made a sudden wide U turn ( IN A NO U TURN ZONE) from the other lane, doing this he cut two lanes in my direction and ended up cutting in front of me. So I instinctively slammed my brake and honked my horn. The driver instead of apologizing yelled at me and gave me the one finger salute. I started getting irritated so I honked him again.
To make the story short, the guy was in a rage and I'm in the brink of boiling point, but then I saw my wife's eyes at the rear view mirror pleading me not to get angry. Then it hit me... she always brings a camera! So I borrowed it from her, got my cell and pretended to call the police, and I started taking pictures of his license plate and videoing him with his antics. When he realized what I was doing he cooled off as fast as I can say Governor Arnold's last name. I passed by him gave him a nod then he raised his hand to gesture apologizing. I'm a hero in my wife's eyes, I avoided confrontation, I have the last "laugh" (literally), and do I feel GOOD!

Last edited:

Latest posts