Newbie on a budget looking to buy a flashlight

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am new to the flashlight world, but I always had a liking for flashlights and stuff like pocket knives and binoculars.
I am interested in getting myself a LED flashlight for basic use. I have browsed through the forum and have a general idea of what's out there and the pricings.
I am on a budget so to speak and could not afford to spend more than $25 on the flashlight.
I noticed that the Fenix E0/1 is a very good flashlight for the price. However, I do not necessarily wish to buy such a small flashlight and would like to get better luminance and have more area illuminated than the Fenix E0/1.
Can anyone please suggest other good flashlights that would suit my preferences? Basically, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, but unlike the Fenix E0/1, I am more interested in a normal size (pocket as opposed to keychain) flashlight that can illuminate a decent area as compared to most flashlights in its range and can be bright. I hope it is out there.. :eek:

Would really value your replies!

Misterbean

Newly Enlightened
i would suggest looking at the budget lights sticky at the top of this forum. alot of those lights are from Dealextreme.com and can be had for under 20$. pick one that has good reviews on the website and that is listed as good in that thread and you'll be alright i think.

matt0

Enlightened
Don't forget to factor in battery costs. Depending on battery type, it can be expensive to 'refuel'... especally if it sees a lot of use.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what you mean by general use, or even what you really mean by pocket. More specifics, comments about what you have or have used, etc. would help.

That said, until / unless you identify a specific flashlight, or need, which requires something else, I suggest sticking with AA batteries, the most common type, (or maybe AAA.) It wasn't too long ago 2 AA lights, e.g. MiniMag, were considered pocketable. Certainly they work in a holster or at home. These days 1 AA or 1 AAA (or more exotic battery) lights are usually chosen for pockets, I think.

The Good Deals and Dealers Corner section of the Marketplace are good places to hear about a deal. MattK of Battery Junction just posted some older (but still good) Fenix lights on sale. (Close to your price.) I remember 4sevens posted about slightly older models bundled with a new E01 at FenixStore too. (Slightly more than your $25, but a good deal on two good lights.) There are the KD & DX lights mentioned above and many many others. E.g. the sale/closeout Eveready LED 2 AA at Sam's Club was spectacular way to grab a pair of what sounds like a very solid basic light. (If you have a Sam's Club and if your club has the light in stock....)

Lots of choices. I suggest you help narrow down your requirements, or if they are really general, be opportunistic and jump on a big sale.

BigTennisBall

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mate,

Definately recommend the brand new Led Lenser P7..

Brighter than anything I own for the size. Unbelieveable.

skyline_man

Banned
Ever since i've become interested in LED flashlights, i've noticed a general pattern amongst flashlight loving people, including myself. When we first start of, we tend to buy the cheap ones. Not satisfied after a few days, weeks, months, we begin to move up the 'flashlight chain' and buy more expensive flashlights. Ultimately, we ended up buying the 'best' light available and wonder why we waste all our money on cheaper lights.
The moral of the story? Buy the best you can afford. You will not regret it and you'll save yourself a lot of money in the process.
For daily carrying, buy yourself a Novatac 120P.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
Thanks u for the replies.
I have to say that all the info and suggestions are overwhelming, but thats good since it will make me do more research I guess.

To rephrase, what I'm looking for is a LED flashlight for use at home, in a car or sometimes camping.
As for batteries, I would prefer the simpler and easily available AAA or AA kind.

I'm attaching a pic of my current traditional flashlight. I'm looking for something of similar size. With $25 budget.

I noticed a lot of discussion about the Fenix E01, but it is small in my opinion and does not provide sufficient illumination in the dark and emergencies (i might be wrong since I'm a newbie).

As for the "KD 1AAA CREE XR-E Q5 Buckle Tough Flashlight(V4)",
I reckon it is not a brand name, I never heard about KD or kaidomain. Nonetheless, many gave it good reviews when I read some of the posts.

In any matter, I'm rereading the replies an doing more research.

roymail

Enlightened
OK, this is my serious recommendation. I don't think you can buy a better light with your battery and budget requirements. Also, read this review about it and take a look at the way this thing runs in regulation. Probably among the best you'll find using Luxeon technology. (NOTE: These are on sale and I don't know how long he'll have them available.)

Fenix L1/2P

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-2p.html

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For AA and around that size, the RC-N3 or WF-606 would be good. I'd go for the RC-N3 because it's a bit cheaper, has a forward clickie, and is easy to take apart.

DX would take 2 weeks or more to get the thing to you though.

Do you have good AA rechargeable batteries?

Newuser01

Enlightened
I can't believe you guys that no-one suggested the ROV sportsman extreme 2AA from wallyworld?

Now I can't tell where OP is located but if he/she is in the C-US and near wally's, might as well pick one up.

Great reviews, I have one and I like it. They have 2 versions (black or cammo). They are about 20 bucks.

Good luck.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the "KD 1AAA CREE XR-E Q5 Buckle Tough Flashlight(V4)",
I reckon it is not a brand name, I never heard about KD or kaidomain. Nonetheless, many gave it good reviews when I read some of the posts.

In any matter, I'm rereading the replies an doing more research.

stick around and you will hear loads about KD..:)

this light, from what i see, compares pretty well with twice, and more its price.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197358

Crenshaw

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this is my serious recommendation. I don't think you can buy a better light with your battery and budget requirements. Also, read this review about it and take a look at the way this thing runs in regulation. Probably among the best you'll find using Luxeon technology. (NOTE: These are on sale and I don't know how long he'll have them available.)

Fenix L1/2P

I'll second this recommendation. At that price, it's a steal. If I didn't already have an L2P v2, I'd buy one. Very nice beam, very well built, great regulation (meaning, the light output stays at the same level until the batteries are almost dead, then quicky bottoms out as the batteries die). Despite the older Luxeon LED the light is plenty bright for any task you would have used a conventional 2 or 3 D cell incandescent light for in the past. In fact, it's a good deal brighter than most of these, including the Maglites.

The other recommendation I'd make is one that several others also made, the Romisen RC-N3, either the original version, for about $18 from DX - it'll take about 3 weeks to get it, after you order :( - or the newer version with the Q5 LED (brighter than the original) from Lightbug. You should get about 3 hours of runtime in the 2 x AA configuration, and a little over 1 hour in the CR123a configuration, with about the same brightness level. I have one of these two, and it is a very nice light. Brighter than the Fenix light, but the build quality isn't quite as high. The RC-N3 does let you use a CR123a battery in a short body tube to make a pretty potent little light that will fit in your pocket.

I don't think you can find better quality lights for under $25 than these two.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix L1/2P

Wow the L2P looks very nice, even though I have a newer L2D.

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
I'll second this recommendation. At that price, it's a steal. If I didn't already have an L2P v2, I'd buy one. Very nice beam, very well built, great regulation (meaning, the light output stays at the same level until the batteries are almost dead, then quicky bottoms out as the batteries die). Despite the older Luxeon LED the light is plenty bright for any task you would have used a conventional 2 or 3 D cell incandescent light for in the past. In fact, it's a good deal brighter than most of these, including the Maglites.

The other recommendation I'd make is one that several others also made, the Romisen RC-N3, either the original version, for about $18 from DX - it'll take about 3 weeks to get it, after you order :( - or the newer version with the Q5 LED (brighter than the original) from Lightbug. You should get about 3 hours of runtime in the 2 x AA configuration, and a little over 1 hour in the CR123a configuration, with about the same brightness level. I have one of these two, and it is a very nice light. Brighter than the Fenix light, but the build quality isn't quite as high. The RC-N3 does let you use a CR123a battery in a short body tube to make a pretty potent little light that will fit in your pocket.

I don't think you can find better quality lights for under $25 than these two.
I'll third the recommendation for the RC-N3. I received an N3 the other day from DX approximately a week after ordering, very fast shipping (I live in North Carolina too!). The light is reasonably bright, although if brightness is your primary concern spend the extra few dollars for the Q5 version. The build quality is excellent for such an affordable light, the only imperfection was some minor paint that had come off the edges of the knurling where the pocket clip was attached. The rest of the light was impeccable though, and the forward clickie feels pretty solid, too.