Pentagon MOLLE light suggestions

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a pentagon MOLLE light, but I need some recommendations. Each model comes with a different color filter, an I need help deciding witch filter to get.

I want a filter that would be useful in low-light and preserving night vision. Red is the obvious choice, but I've read that the red filter for the MOLLE light is very dark, and not very useful at all. Blue would be my next choice, but I don't know it is any brighter.

I would appreciate any advice from MOLLE light users out there on what to choose. Basically, I want a filter that doesn't block out so much light that the output becomes too little.

Thanks!

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want the red to be very dim to preserve night vision. I have played around with brighter red led lights and they are too bright (unless it is for outdoors use).

I would not bother with other colors for night vision unless you have another application for them.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick with the red. The Pentagon MOLLE is a nice light with a useful form factor.

The red filter is a little dark, but is useful for close up tasks without hurting night vision.

Mark

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red. Red rays are lower energy than blue, that's why they preserve night vision. (Or at least, that is the most logical reason I've seen, but I ain't no ophthalmologist!)

I have a blue MOLLE, the blue is quite useless hahaha. If they're all equally useless I'd at least rather have red.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I have the black with blue filter, and it is pretty doggone dark.

Personally, I like the white ultra-low of the Novatacs and other lights if I want to preserve night vision.

sirahren

Newly Enlightened
I have the tan with red. Its usesful for map reading. You could navigate in pitch black with it too, I'd guees.

I saw they came out with a new one that has a glow in the dark shell. I may get it too. They are such useful little buggers.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue filters are used for tracking blood, I believe.

If your map has red lines on it, they won't be visible under red light (same goes for blue).

A guy I used to work with, who was an Army scout-sniper, said the reason they used green LEDs for "night ops" was specifically for map reading concerns.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the black molle with the blue filter. it's too dark to see anything with the filter on.