SF Nitrolon Head Replacement

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Finally got around to calling SureFire and they are NOT replacing the nitrolon heads on G2's that you already own.
I thought I read that they would.
Had anybody experienced anything different?

Retinator

Enlightened
Interesting. Since everything is slowly heading toward LEDs, all the ledheads have been aluminum.

I'd say nitrolon heads are on their way out.

And small question for anyone with an aluminum bezeled G2/G2Z etc...

Does the aluminum head make the light top heavy? How is the balance.

I find my 6pl is slightly top heavy, but very comfortable.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got around to calling SureFire and they are NOT replacing the nitrolon heads on G2's that you already own.
I thought I read that they would.
Had anybody experienced anything different?

I know SureFire were replacing nitrolon bezels of G2Ls in the immediate period after making the announcement about heat issues and switching to aluminium. I don't know if they are still doing this.

You mentioned the G2, as opposed to the G2L. I doubt very much that SureFire will give you an aluminium bezel for a G2 seeing as it is only due to the LED in the G2L that the heat issues arose, prompting the switch to aluminium bezels.

Regards,
Tempest

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Durgh:

Side note: I called Surefire saying LED heat was concerning me for the G2, they said there was nothing they could do about the heat (that it would be fine). Long story short, I bought a 6P head off marketplace. Works great.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "issue" is that the regulated level of the P60L inside a Nitrolon bezel is lower output compared to that inside an aluminium bezel. The whole point is that the P60L's thermal sensor throttles back the power to the LED to prevent it from overheating. There is no 'danger' to using the P60L inside a Nitrolon bezel - in fact the regulated runtime is longer because of the reduced output.

SureFire has offered to replace the bezels of first-run G2L-YL flashlights that were supplied with Nitrolon bezels rather than the yellow aluminium bezels they should have.

SureFire has never that I'm aware of offered to replace G2 bezels for those who have purchased P60L LED Lamp Assemblies for their G2's.

Al

TJx

Newly Enlightened
SureFire has offered to replace the bezels of first-run G2L-YL flashlights that were supplied with Nitrolon bezels rather than the yellow aluminium bezels they should have.

Al

This is exactly what the guy I talked to today said they were NOT going to do, which is to replace the nitrolon bezel of my yellow G2L.
Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post about it being a G2L.

Numbers

Enlightened
This is exactly what the guy I talked to today said they were NOT going to do, which is to replace the nitrolon bezel of my yellow G2L.
Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post about it being a G2L.

Try again.
I just had mine replaced after first requesting the Al bezel many months ago only to be told they were not yet available then, repeatedly, that they were out of stock. After letting it go gor a while, about three weeks ago I decided to follow up. The AL bezel was delivered to me, clear across the country in 2 days! Perhaps I got it because I had requested it so long ago and SF had that request in their files. Maybe they have a different policy for requests they may now consider "late". Seems though that you should be entitled to one because, to my recollection, all nitrolon bezel G2L's were able to be replaced because the AL update came out so soon after the nitrolon was first offered for sale. Good Luck.