Aurora AK-P7 2-mode (non C8 body style)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Its all about the reflectors...

The Aurora AK-P7 2-mode SSC P7. This light is from DX.
First of all I noticed a chip in the bezel,..fu&^$#!!

Overall, the light is a good design with a med. depth reflector with a good size base area, wide reflector for its depth.
~ It is very evident that there are two factors in getting most throw out of the P7 emitters.
You need a deep reflector and a real large base area. So the Aurora AK-P7 2-mode is geared toward flood and midrange throw.

Took the bezel off to send DX pictures, looked at the emitter base/heatsink, all aluminum.
Hard to tell how well the heatsinking will be, fingers crossed.
Could not get the head off.{:caution:}

The levels go Off~High~Low~Off. The Low is approx. 10% of the total high, which will be very useful.
Tint is typical great SSC,..milky white.
Being rather particular about switches, the action is acceptable, with about average tactile feeling with the reverse clicky.

Protected 18650s fit no problem, although snug.
*The amount of light on High is huge, my guess would be realistically around 500+ lm.
Some may say, "only 500 lm",..just 1 yr. ago that number was not even talked about.

I'll try to get some photos...

Night now, the output is much more than I thought, the only thing to compare to it would be a DBS with the OP reflector installed.

Really a massif amount of light,..the huge area lit up 65 yards away is amazing.
The body starts to get warm after 4 or 5 min.

Last edited:

NickBose

Enlightened
Though I haven't got it yet I guess this may have a better throw than the P7 you have as it seems to use the WF series head which is known for long-throw

sku_12588_1.jpg

Does your P7 get very hot after a while? try running it for at least 10-15 minutes continuously on High and see how the temp is like. My P7 can burn hands after 15 minutes.

More and more P7 are popping up but still none by quality mf'turer like Dereelight or Tiablo. I can't wait until there is a serious P7. I WILL get one. The P7 is really a revolution in LED, it's just amazing.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nick, that is the C8 body style.

Obviously that light was one I was looking at;
Simply preferred the clean lines to my Aurora pictured.
No mistake there.

Lights that have a good balance between throw and flood are most useful for me.
That is why I went with the AK-P7 standin' next to my DBS...:thumbsup:

NickBose

Enlightened
+

Nick, that is the C8 body style.

This is P7 in a C8 body which I have and which also got damn hot after 15 minutes running. Luckily in my job I use the light only in short bursts so it still can stay with me. One point worth mentioning though: this is C-bin (like the Aurora you have) while the Aurora in WF body just has P7 LED in its description without specified bin.

sku_12271_1.jpg

The one in my previous post is WF series body, not C8. I know because I have a WF-600 too (the head - reflector is bigger and deeper)

I don't know why they call them both the same name Aurora AK-P7 2-mode while the bodies are obviously very different.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nick, I hope you understand I saw that light (all the P7 lights available), looking for a smaller form factor with usable throw.
This thread was leaning toward a review, so this version please.

The SSC emitters give floody beams by its nature and wanted that benefit, my wording must sound like I was looking for a thrower,..not so.

I have a pure thrower (my DBS), and this AK-P7 reflector gives massive light up to 65 yards or so.
~ Did change out the rubber boot for GID and modified the tailswitch box.
Removed a plastic piece that held the switch, added a washer... better action.

If I gave outdoor beamshots, it would just look like a real lit up area.
Say you hear something outside ect.. and want 'lots o' light' this is the ticket.
One thing I would like to see different would be to start up on Low, because High can blast you out.

Overall this version of the AK-P7 is deceiving for its physical size and big output...:twothumbs

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys have a donut hole in the beam. I am starting notice alot of these P7 flashlights have this issue.
+

Nick, I hope you understand I saw that light (all the P7 lights available), looking for a smaller form factor with usable throw.
This thread was leaning toward a review, so this version please.

The SSC emitters give floody beams by its nature and wanted that benefit, my wording must sound like I was looking for a thrower,..not so.

I have a pure thrower (my DBS), and this AK-P7 reflector gives massive light up to 65 yards or so.
~ Did change out the rubber boot for GID and modified the tailswitch box.
Removed a plastic piece that held the switch, added a washer... better action.

If I gave outdoor beamshots, it would just look like a real lit up area.
Say you hear something outside ect.. and want 'lots o' light' this is the ticket.
One thing I would like to see different would be to start up on Low, because High can blast you out.

Overall this version of the AK-P7 is deceiving for its physical size and big output...:twothumbs

sims2k

Enlightened
Though I haven't got it yet I guess this may have a better throw than the P7 you have as it seems to use the WF series head which is known for long-throw

sku_12588_1.jpg

This is the same exact one that I got in the mail today after waiting for five weeks and after two changes in my order. Very happy with mine - it is the 2 mode only - no chips anywhere, just perfect. The head comes off easily. Very bright white and no donut hole. Maybe Aurora's manufacturing is getting better with the latest P7 lights. My only wish is to find a good holster for this light.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Relative hotspot of Aurora AK-P7 (light in first post) taken at about 8' on High.

~ There is the slightest hint of void in the very center of hotspot.
In real world use, you wouldn't notice it.

Again the Low is about 10~15% of Max output....Overall a great deal for a P7 light.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got mine, and it is bright. As mentioned there is a very slight void in the center, but no big deal. The low is perfect for lighting up an area to see comfortably. Construction is decent as my lens is a loose fit where the bezel does not tighten down on the lens. I will install a thicker o-ring, and I am getting a new UCL lens anyway. A little grease and adjustments this light is perfect. Mine pulls 3.12 amps with a fresh Ultrafire unprotected 2400mAh 18650 battery. I already ordered another one :thumbsup:
This light also fits perfectly in my John Willis holster. :twothumbs

Last edited: