Power or adaptability: Surefire UB2 or UA2?

maxa beam

Banned
Before you come in and start belly-aching about there being a lot of threads on the UA2, stop for a second. This thread is about which one you'll get, or both, or if you could get one, which would you get?

Well, both lights have their obvious perks. The Optimus is the only light I know of which uses what appears to be actual focusing, and 200 lumens is great by 2XCR123 standards. On the other hand, the Invictus is also pretty adaptable but has that amazing 400+ threshold reached, and the P7 is being underdriven so you can expect good run-time.

If I could only pick one, it's hard to say without them being out yet, but the Optimus would have to be my choice. 200 Lumens is more than enough for every day use. The Invictus would be more for those times when unparalleled edc-able output is needed, for example, signaling, illuminating broad areas at long distances, etc.

I'm getting both, personally!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd pick the Optimus.

200 lumen is enough for most of my tasks. If I need more, I have my Mag85.

The Optimus would be a bit too big for me to EDC though.

maxa beam

Banned
I'd pick the Optimus.

200 lumen is enough for most of my tasks. If I need more, I have my Mag85.

The Optimus would be a bit too big for me to EDC though.

Eh, I'll get a holster if I have to. Beam variability is too good to pass up. And that way I can stroll around with my new toy- Er, tool, in full view.

Snow

Enlightened
Invictus for me.

400 lumens in a handheld is just too sweet to pass up. Plus, none of my current lights focus and I'm doing just fine.

maxa beam

Banned
Invictus for me.

400 lumens in a handheld is just too sweet to pass up. Plus, none of my current lights focus and I'm doing just fine.
Agree'd. Remember the M6's crazy power with the drop-in lamp? Imagine almost that, coming from an EDC-able package, with better technology, and you know what?

Probably better run-time.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Invictus all the way!

Now if Surefire lights had bad reflectors, then you could understand the appeal of a focus system. However, Surefire beams tend to be a perfect blend of throw and spill that really does not need to be improved. May as well sacrifice the gimmick of the focus, and instead have the 400 lumens critter.

Besides, a focussing system adds a whole new dimension in terms of mechanical failure potential. I would stick with the Invictus for this reason too.

Actually, the interface sounds horrifically too complex for my liking. Give me a single, or dual-mode mechanical-twisty switched, direct-driven light anyday of the month.

m16a

Enlightened
Invictus.

1. Its 400 frikkin lumens. HANDHELD!!!
2. it has the same level variabilty, just not the focusing, which isn't a big deal imo
3. Its a surefire. Like mike said, the beam is going to be very good without spot to flood capability.

My .02

maxa beam

Banned
You guys have amazed me. I thought CPF would be frothing at the mouth for actual spot-to-flood!

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
The focusing on the Optimus definatley gets me, floody for short range, spot at long range. And knowing that i'll never see the flood lumens in a throw contest it aims to be a real contender with its focusing even compared to the monster lights.

But i'll need to see how well this new fangled focusing system works in practice, even if it is Surefire.

HKJ

Flashaholic
You guys have amazed me. I thought CPF would be frothing at the mouth for actual spot-to-flood!

I definitely wants the UA2 with focus and I expect that before UB2 is available, I can get other quality led lights with more than 400 lumens (if not, then I might also get the UB2).

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whichever one has better runtime at 200 lumens. All things being equal, I'd go with the 400 lumen model over the focusing beam. I'll probably wind up buying both, although it's unlikely I'd keep both. Probably best to check them out and then decide.

The old U2 reflector is an AMAZING piece of engineering, so I am really looking forward to the reflectored new U2 more than the TIR as well.

I have said it before and I will keep on saying it: With these new U2s, SF should take the old U2 chassis, cut it down to 1x123 and make a U1. Aside from a regulated incan turbohead light, this U1 might be my ultimate SF.

maxa beam

Banned
Whichever one has better runtime at 200 lumens. All things being equal, I'd go with the 400 lumen model over the focusing beam. I'll probably wind up buying both, although it's unlikely I'd keep both. Probably best to check them out and then decide.

The old U2 reflector is an AMAZING piece of engineering, so I am really looking forward to the reflectored new U2 more than the TIR as well.

I have said it before and I will keep on saying it: With these new U2s, SF should take the old U2 chassis, cut it down to 1x123 and make a U1. Aside from a regulated incan turbohead light, this U1 might be my ultimate SF.
The 400 lumen model should be more efficient.

sirahren

Newly Enlightened

I think that will sorta be the new Titan right? With a little more adjustment possibility?

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that will sorta be the new Titan right? With a little more adjustment possibility?

No. The Titan is a MUCH smaller reflector than the U2. More like a McGizmo S27 with the brightness selector collar.

maxa beam

Banned
I don't know why they're still calling it the Titan, didn't they call it the Titan because it was Titan..ium? Ya know, Titanium and all.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaning toward adaptability at the moment. I just don't think the 400 lumens is going to be as bright as people think it will compared to the 200 lumens of the UA2.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
I really want to get the Optimus, but I know when the invictus comes out I will have to get it, so I will see if I can hold out until the invictus comes out. I hate surefires marketing techniques, they work to well