Carbon Cell AAA runtime test (Arc AAA-P DS + Fenix E01)

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I found a couple Sunbeam brand Carbon cell AAA batteries, so I figured "why not see how long two popular long-runtime AAA lights will run on these junk batteries?"

the test will be from full to empty, total runtime tests

both Sunbeam batteries register 1.65 volts, and ZTS at 100%

test has commenced at 9:55 EST 5/22/08

Beam intensity right off the bat is almost identical, the Fenix is a *hair* brighter, mainly due to the newer Nichia GS 5MM LED

Illum

Flashaholic
be careful with those cells, when carbon zinc cell wants to leak...it leaks indiscriminately and doesn't stop until either the lights flooded the battery is dry:candle:

paulr

Flashaholic
I tested a carbon cell (unmetered) in an Arc AAA-BS during the 2003 east coast blackout. Runtime was almost the same as an alkaline cell, 5+ hours before moon mode. However, it was probably running at lower brightness through most of that interval than it would with an alkaline.

I also tested a carbon cell in a Fenix L1p for a few minutes and it worked fine. I had expected it to drop to nothing almost instantly.

MacTech

Enlightened
Latest update as of 1:30 AM 5/23/08;

Arc AAA-P DS has entered "Moon Mode", light emitted has a distinct yellow cast, appears to be about *HALF* as bright as the Fenix E01, which is still nice and bright

Arc AAA-P DS battery meters out at .84V and 0% on the ZTS
Fenix E01 battery meters out at 1.12V and 0% on the ZTS

approximately 3.5 hours to 50% on a 1.5V Carbon-Zinc cell for the Arc

the test continues....

paulr

Flashaholic
Arc moon mode is nothing like half as bright as an E01. It's more like 1/100th as bright.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbon-Zinc AAA cells (of any strength) are NOT intended for high-discharge use, like modern LED flashlights.

They're meant for miniature radios and stuff like that. Typical drain 10-50mA.

ZnC AA cells also aren't up to modern flashlight use, ad even ZnC C cells are still a bit marginal. Zinc-Carbon doesn't get into it's stride until D size, and modern ZnC F cells are nowadays really good.

But AAA & N? Just don't bother.

That said, this is still a worthwhile and interesting test. And single 5mm LED lights are a good match for these cells, FWIW. The "recover power between uses" pulse feature of ZnC then comes into its own.

MacTech

Enlightened
8:30 AM 5/23/08 update;

Arc AAA-P still producing faint light, I can look at the LED and see the bond wires going into the diode itself, if dark adapted, there is still enough light for reading
Battery voltage is *TOO LOW TO EVEN REGISTER ON MY DMM*, yet the Arc still produces light, and the light does not illuminate when the battery is put back in the light

the battery feels slightly slick though, so the test is officially over on the Arc, total runtime on a Carbon-Zinc cell, approx. 10.5 hours, not bad.....

Fenix E01, dimmer than the last time I checked, but still producing a significant amount of light, it's about half as bright as the last time I checked it, battery voltage is .60V, and the light did re-illuminate when I reinstalled the battery

MacTech

Enlightened
12:30 PM 5/23/08 update on the E01;

Still producing light, dim but usable when dark adapted, battery registers .40 volts, and was still able to relight the light when put back in the E01

current runtime; 14 hours and still going!

looks like Fenix has a real winner here in the "long runtime/emergency" category :)

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to favour ZnC for lights such as these because you can get 20 for $2, and also because I thought ZnC had less propensity to leak than alkalines, yet apparently ZnC will leak. Which is less likely to leak? ZnC or alkies? And while I'm at it, will an energizer e2 lithium AAA ever leak?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Interesting test for the EO1 but no big surprise from the Carbon AAA.

I really need to break down and just order an EO1. This test might make me finally do it.

MacTech

Enlightened
1:35 PM update, LED is now dim enough to see the bond wires going into the die, battery registers .39V, light would not re-light until the current rose above .40V

It appears that .40V is the trigger voltage for the light, but once lit, it can produce light on less current

in terms of efficiency, the E01 is a stellar performer, long-term reliability is still unknown, but it looks to be really good, after all, the 5MM emitter is inherently durable on it's own, the circuit board and regulator is the unknown here, but things bode well for this little light

If you need a long running AAA battery vampire, you can't go wrong with the E01

latest runtime; 15.5 hours (approx, still running though)

mighty82

Enlightened
It have been at least 10 years since I have seen a carbon zinc battery in norway. Even if you can get your hand on them, why would you use them? You can get a "megapack" of cheap alkalines for next to nothing. I can buy a pack of alkalines for $3 that will last me "a lifetime".

MacTech

Enlightened
Final results;
the light is now dim enough to barely make out the glow of the die, it's still producing light, but that light is unusable beyond 1 inch

final battery voltage; .29V
final Fenix E01 *TOTAL* runtime on 1.65V carbon-zinc cell; 17.5 approx. hours! and all on a crappy Carbon-Zinc cell

paulr

Flashaholic
I used to favour ZnC for lights such as these because you can get 20 for $2, and also because I thought ZnC had less propensity to leak than alkalines, yet apparently ZnC will leak. Which is less likely to leak? ZnC or alkies? And while I'm at it, will an energizer e2 lithium AAA ever leak?

ZnC do leak, and normal practice if you're keeping them around is store them in the fridge if you can. Otherwise, just keep them in their original packaging, i.e. don't install them in a light until you want to actually use the light. If you're going to store the light for a while after you've used it, remove the batteries rather than leaving them inside the light.

That said, they are the cheapest and most common batteries in the world, especially in AA size. I'd like it if Fenix made an "E11" which is an AA version of the E01. AA ZnC cells are about 6 cents each at Asian grocery stores. You basically can't buy alkalines in those places.

In low powered devices ZnC isn't as horrible as we tend to believe. Total amount of energy is about 0.5x alkaline. That suffers horribly at higher current. Still, many generations of flashlight users got by just fine with the classic 2D incandescent PR2 light and two ZnC D cells.