LED lights conquered a long blackout!!!

php_44

Enlightened
We had a significant ice storm Friday night that knocked out power for more than a day. Although we only had two nights without power, others are expecting nearly a week. This was the PERFECT time to pull out my LED lights!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My meager arsenal was more than sufficient:
<ul type="square">
[*]One photon turquoise microlight
[*]Home grown 1 LED Craftsman tool light - 2AA clickie with boost converter
[*]Home grown 4 LED Crafstman turtle light clone used with 3AA and no boost.
[*]TWO ARC LS assembled grey kits.
[/list]

The 2AA was a good walk around the house light. The 4 LED light made a perfect room light standing on its rather generous tail end and pointing up. Since I set the draw at ~100mA total it has good endurance.

The ARC LS grey's blew everyone away. I selected some decent white LS's (1 low dome and 1 high dome) to put in. They could light l-a-r-g-e areas used on end as room lights, and were equally impressive as flashlights.

Here's a typical encounter - I tapped a neighbors generator just to run my sump pump, and in return offered to keep it gassed up through the night. At one point near 11:30 I went over to gas it up and my neighbors wife came out because the intense white light from the ARC LS grey caught her eye from inside the house (she was a good 17 feet from the back door). She came out and asked What IS that flashlight? I knew that wasn't Bill out here! (refering to their dim and yellowish flashlight). When I showed her how small it was she was amazed.

Same type of response in the pitch dark grocery store where I had gone to fetch a few needed supplies.

Though my wife has always liked my LED lights, she now loves them and want's me to make a few more for future emergencies. Perhaps an order for a few more LS LEDs could now be justified!!

...A "beaming" light modder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
Just replace the "kodachrome" with "Luxeon" in the Paul Simon song, would be a good start.

" Lux-e-on, gives us the nice bright colors,..."

ed B in yet again snowy NH