Best flashlight <$300 for 2xC-cell or smaller.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a flashlight for al types of use, but I want to have it whit me one travels also, so max size is 2xC-cell. Pref re-chargeable. And I would like something whit two settings super bright and long-life.

There is always new better models coming out al the time so I'm looking for something available in late July.

I have some Maglite's of different sizes but they aren't that bright in my opinion. I also have a 3'000'000 Candela that's big as a house but Damn it's bright I love it!

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
First, :welcome:, and you came to the right place!

You can get amazing lights for this price and size. Here's one I'm admiring.

I haven't re-used this post in a-while and it's appropriate, so;

Cross-posted text removed by moderator

Here's my $0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm looking for a flashlight for al types of use, but I want to have it whit me one travels also, so max size is 2xC-cell. Pref re-chargeable. And I would like something whit two settings super bright and long-life.

There is always new better models coming out al the time so I'm looking for something available in late July.

I have some Maglite's of different sizes but they aren't that bright in my opinion. I also have a 3'000'000 Candela that's big as a house but Damn it's bright I love it!
Small, Super Bright, Long Life.

Pick any two because you won't get all 3 until someone figures out how to harness antimatter in a flashlight.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Most modern led lights uses either AA or CR123A batteries or rechargeables.

The Fenix line of lights are very good for the price. My favorites are the L0D, P3D and TK10.
The TK10 probably fits your description, high power is 1.5 hours and long life is 10 hours (The P3D can last much longer, but has more modes).

In a ceiling bounce (Point the light at the ceiling and evaluate the brightness in the room) my TK10 was brighter than a cheap 2000000 candle power light.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
And so it begins.

Run, run far far away. Don't get infected with our disease, this afflication called flashaholicism.

Forget you ever set foot on this place.

You'll be far better off.

:poof::mecry::sssh::welcome:

PS - if you're dead set on staying, you'll need about 300 hours of reading and googling to catch up to about where I am, and about $600 poorer too for it. :mecry:

maxa beam

Banned
And so it begins.

Run, run far far away. Don't get infected with our disease, this afflication called flashaholicism.

Forget you ever set foot on this place.

You'll be far better off.

:poof::mecry::sssh::welcome:

PS - if you're dead set on staying, you'll need about 300 hours of reading and googling to catch up to about where I am, and about $600 poorer too for it. :mecry:

I wonder how much I've spent, seeing how I have a tiny fleet of HIDs.

Anyways. Fenix is okay for flashaholics not wanting to spend alot of money, but they're just not the highest quality lights. Telltale signs show this, like the threads, the inaccurate lumen measurements, etc. He could get something much better with his 300 dollars.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Anyways. Fenix is okay for flashaholics not wanting to spend alot of money, but they're just not the highest quality lights. Telltale signs show this, like the threads, the inaccurate lumen measurements, etc. He could get something much better with his 300 dollars.

I do not agree completely with your evaluation of Fenix, but I agree that $300 can get your better lights:

Your can get HID's that are much brighter, but only has one level.

Your can get SureFire, that has the top build quality and design, but they are not the brightest lights around.

Your can get custom lights, they have some special ability (design/quality/brightness/user interface) and price is double of other lights.

Your can get a dozen of other lights with a quality similar to Fenix, but with slightly different abilities.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
$300 for 200 lumens :rolleyes: at least get the 400lm surefire whenever it comes out ,but for now a tk10 or O-light T25 tactical both around 200lumens for $80 each ...or a custom modded 2c mag with multilevel

maxa beam

Banned
I do not agree completely with your evaluation of Fenix, but I agree that $300 can get your better lights:

Your can get HID's that are much brighter, but only has one level.

Your can get SureFire, that has the top build quality and design, but they are not the brightest lights around.

Your can get custom lights, they have some special ability (design/quality/brightness/user interface) and price is double of other lights.

Your can get a dozen of other lights with a quality similar to Fenix, but with slightly different abilities.
Um, Surefire has an upcoming 400 lumen EDC light using an underdriven SSC P7. That's high output if anything is.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, as a start, this light has more output with 1 AAA then the Maglite 4D.

Speaking of Maglites, check this thread out.

How are you going to use the light?

For $300, you can get quite a few lights. I'd split it up to three lights.

One keychain light for emergencies/so you alway have one on you. Either something like the Liteflux LF2X or Fenix L0D-CE Q4 for multimode(can be bright or long running) or something like the Arc AAA or Fenix E01 for long runtime and simplicity.

One medium sized for EDC. Something AA, CR123 or 18650(18mm wide, 65mm long, 3.7v rechargeable Li-ion battery) for that. There are many choices.

And one larger(around 2C sized for me) for throw. I'd pick the Dereelight DBS because I like LEDs and have 18650 batteries. You can probably go for a Maglite Hotwire mod for around the same price and get much more output.

:welcome:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Um, Surefire has an upcoming 400 lumen EDC light using an underdriven SSC P7. That's high output if anything is.

Definitely, but it will take months before it is out and today they do not have anything led that are really brights.
I also expect other manufactures to exceed this output before SureFire has the UB2 ready.

maxa beam

Banned
Definitely, but it will take months before it is out and today they do not have anything led that are really brights.
I also expect other manufactures to exceed this output before SureFire has the UB2 ready.

No way, unless a manufacturer produces something cobbled together with bubblegum and string, in which case you can bet it's not gonna suit his needs anyways. And the UB2 is supposed to be out in June/July.

He still has the UA2 option. Show me a 2XCR123 light with better output, and if there is I can guarantee that it wasn't measured with an integrating sphere, and it won't have the durability of a Surefire, or the focusing ability. He's a fledgeling flashaholic, a variable beam flashlight cold suit the purposes of several flashlights since he currently has no "good" ones.

OP also said he's buying in late July, so he'd have time for both the UB2 AND UA2 to come out.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you ever get sick of endlessly recommending a light no one has bought or reviewed yet as the greatest thing since sliced bread? :shrug:

:sigh:

HKJ

Flashaholic
No way, unless a manufacturer produces something cobbled together with bubblegum and string, in which case you can bet it's not gonna suit his needs anyways. And the UB2 is supposed to be out in June/July.

He still has the UA2 option. Show me a 2XCR123 light with better output, and if there is I can guarantee that it wasn't measured with an integrating sphere, and it won't have the durability of a Surefire, or the focusing ability. He's a fledgeling flashaholic, a variable beam flashlight cold suit the purposes of several flashlights since he currently has no "good" ones.

OP also said he's buying in late July, so he'd have time for both the UB2 AND UA2 to come out.

The UA2 is suppose to be out soon, I do not believe that the UB2 is included in that!

The Fenix TK10 measure above 200 lumens in a integrating sphere, i.e. it is on par with the UA2.

Ok, I will buy a UA2, I believe it is a very good light, with the features it has, but this has not been proved yet, the TK10 has been proved that it is good (not that I believe it can compete with UA2, except in lumens)!

maxa beam

Banned
The UA2 is suppose to be out soon, I do not believe that the UB2 is included in that!

The Fenix TK10 measure above 200 lumens in a integrating sphere, i.e. it is on par with the UA2.

Ok, I will buy a UA2, I believe it is a very good light, with the features it has, but this has not been proved yet, the TK10 has been proved that it is good (not that I believe it can compete with UA2, except in lumens)!

The TK10 is measured from bulb lumens, which means it should be at least 25 lumens dimmer the UA2, and has NOT been tested in an integrated sphere. Not to mention that Surefire does use an integrating sphere, and under-rates their lights.

That said, the TK10 IS indeed a very good light..
For the money.

He has 300 dollars to spend and has no lights, judging from his post here. He'd be better suited with a light which can serve as several. (EDC, thrower, flooder, output mule, low conservative [100 hours!], general around the house use), along with having Surefire durability, reliability, etc.

The TK10 has a place (with our more thrifty flashaholics and with some police), but it's just not in this case. If it was I would have recommended it instead of the upcoming Surefires.

And, I read the UB2 should be coming out in July. The OP says he's buying it in late July.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok the tk10 rated at 225 so minus the 25 its still same as surefire lumens and doesnt cost $300 ...and surefire isnt exactly %100 problem free, and fenix isnt exactly cheaply slapped together

HKJ

Flashaholic
The TK10 is measured from bulb lumens, which means it should be at least 25 lumens dimmer the UA2, and has NOT been tested in an integrated sphere. Not to mention that Surefire does use an integrating sphere, and under-rates their lights.

Not correct, somebody one cpf has put it in an integrating sphere where it came out with over 200 lumens.

I do not want to search for the thread, but maybe somebody else can point your to it?

maxa beam

Banned
Not correct, somebody one cpf has put it in an integrating sphere where it came out with over 200 lumens.

I do not want to search for the thread, but maybe somebody else can point your to it?

Perhaps they didn't read it right? 225 bulb lumens will never be 225 out the front lumens. Ever. Perfect energy transfer never happens.
And even if it IS the same output as the UA2, it's no near the quality of a Surefire, nor has that focusing ability, nor mil-spec anodize, nor.. Oh, I could go on. You get the point.