Surefire E2D LED?

Michael J. Spangler

Newly Enlightened
so what do you guys think? i like my L4 but i would love to have the option of a lower light setting. I find i blow through batteries pretty quickly just using it here and there.

anyone have one? is the on off switch practical? i had an E1 and couldn't stand the twist the tailcap for variable power crap they had going on.

any suggestions on other brands that could compare with the E2D LED?
thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends what you mean by compare.

Output wise you have many many choices from $30-$3000+.

Quality wise, look for at least $80.

But if what you really want is a strike bezel and 2 CR123 powered, there aren't that many choices asides from P60 style drop-in lights.

There are multi output lights 2 AA powered that can out lumen the E2DL and most are under $100. If 1 AA battery is pushed hard enough(Good NiMh or Lithium) 120 lumen out the front with 1 AA should be possible too.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
There are multi output lights 2 AA powered that can out lumen the E2DL and most are under $100. If 1 AA battery is pushed hard enough(Good NiMh or Lithium) 120 lumen out the front with 1 AA should be possible too.

While this might be true, I doubt any would come close to the throw the E2DL has. My E1B is on par with my 9P w/HOLA in regards to throw, haven't tested it out fully but it looks like the optic throws a little further.

Steve

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the on off switch practical? i had an E1 and couldn't stand the twist the tailcap for variable power crap they had going on.

The E1 never had variable output. The latest E1L has dual output in controlled by multiple clicks of the tailcap, not twisting. Clicking once gives you the high output, clicking again quickly after gives the low.

If you're looking for something similar to your L4 with the option of a low output then you'll probably be disappointed with the E2DL. The L4 uses a shallow reflector to produce a floody beam, whereas the E2DL uses an optic to produce a tightly focused beam with little flood. If you want something with similar beam characteristics to your L4 but with the option of a low mode, then the L2 might be more to your liking. Maximum output of 100 lumens, as per the L4, with a 15 lumen low.

Regards,
Tempest

Michael J. Spangler

Newly Enlightened
well i actually like the tightly focused beam. the L4 floods ok but i would prefer a tighter beam. but would really like the low level light.

i can't remeber which light i had before maybe it was an L1 or something... been a while.

either way i like the idea of the e2d just didn't know if the tailcap was useful, or was more trouble to get useto, not like an instinctive on off option.

i really don't know a ton about lights, are there other brands i should look into as far as the quality of a surefire, and around the price range.

i don't need something 3000 bucks plus... and i don't want something cheap.

i'll check out the review section.

i'm really impressed with surefire, but again i don't know much.

thanks again guys keep em coming

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, there are a few brands that are similar to Surefire in quality and are cheaper, most are made in China if you want to know.

I'm guessing around E2D size.

Dereelight seems to be a good one, I think the CL1H it is similar to the Surefire 6P in size.

Fenix is also pretty good but their lights won't feel as durable as a Surefire.

Olight is similar to Fenix but they have thicker bodies and work a bit differently.

Lumapower is kinda between Fenix and Dereelight. Not as easily upgradeable but has good quality from what I've heard.

Nitecore seem to be pretty good but none of their lights are E2D sized. 1 AA(Defender), 1 CR123(Extreme), or larger LED thrower(Spear).

Jetbeam I think has a light similar to the E2D in size. It has 3 user definable levels.

You can also have someone mod an E2D to suit your needs.

I don't know very much either, so only take this as a partial list of options.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine. I liked mine so much I bought a second one through parts. Heck it was so good that I got a few E1Bs just for good measure.

I normally don't like multi-click interface but this thing works great, with 2 3.2v R123s guilt free too.

Michael J. Spangler

Newly Enlightened
man now i'm all fired up about lights again

i think i'll stick with the surefire. i just like the idea of it

how upgradable are these? could i just sup up my L4 with some nice mods? where can i find the resources and info on mods avaiable and who can do them etc? thanks guys keep me coming i'm really diggin this

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Not going to try other companies?

Most Surefires that don't use the P60 style drop-in are pretty hard to mod from wart I've seen(actually, IMO the P60 isn't really a mod either, just a swap of the Lamp module).

You can probably swap in a KX2 for the L4 but that will give you a different beampattern and less overall output(but more throw).

Milkyspit
is a well know modder here who will mod your lights for you.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just relax...and wait...For only $150 more you can buy the Optimus or perhaps the 400 lumen Invictus and be on the cutting edge. Sell your L4 for what you can to help with the cost if you need to.

I`m a poor boy so I have to think this way.;)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just relax...and wait...For only $150 more you can buy the Optimus or perhaps the 400 lumen Invictus and be on the cutting edge. Sell your L4 for what you can to help with the cost if you need to.

I`m a poor boy so I have to think this way.;)

while the US2 and UB2 will be techno-awsome, their size is in a different class than the L4.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well the light will depend on your uses or wants.

Having a few specifications/need to haves for a light would narrow down the selection.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with some doubts too...

First, I wanna buy a E1B Backup (I still want..). But I already have a SF L1, so I don´t know if the 80 lumens of the Backup will overthrow A LOT my L1. I mean... should I still buy it ?

My main reason is: I want the further throw for a 1xCR123 light. But I don´t want the Lumapower D Mini. I want another Surefire (it will be my second one...).

And Outd. Fanatic recommend me this new E2D Led, because of it´s 120 lumens + TIR. :twothumbs

The "problem" is: I was never a fan of 2xcr123 lights... and it is bigger than the Backup.

So now I am confused too... waiting for some advice from my fellow CPFers!

Thanks in advance!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well Federal LG, at least one person here has had Milkyspit do a mod for their E1B. It was a swap with the Acorn driver and fron what I've heard, the light is now much brighter(1 amp drive current?).

Milky might be able to do something with your L1 so you can get much more throw but still have a similar low.

Michael J. Spangler

Newly Enlightened
basically i want bigger and better. my L4 is nice but it's not as focused as some other lights i've seen. it's a great light but doesn't last really that long when just using it for general purpose.

basically i want something i can have a high output with a tight beam and a strike bezel. (for thumping people)

but i really want something with a low setting, for general use... problem is i don't want to carry two lights.

but then i ask myself are the two stage lights practical? i know trying to carry two lights isn't. and pulling out the low light when i wanted to grab my high lumen light....

thanks again guys!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
basically i want bigger and better. my L4 is nice but it's not as focused as some other lights i've seen. it's a great light but doesn't last really that long when just using it for general purpose.

it's as focused as it comes
basically i want something i can have a high output with a tight beam and a strike bezel
yes and yes

but i really want something with a low setting, for general use... problem is i don't want to carry two lights.
E2D LED has a low setting

but then i ask myself are the two stage lights practical? i know trying to carry two lights isn't. and pulling out the low light when i wanted to grab my high lumen light....

again the E2D LED does just what you ask for.