Looking for a low-output light using AAA or AA

smg

Newly Enlightened
What are my options for AAA or AA lights that have a very low low? I want something that puts out 5 lumens or less, preferably using a AAA (assuming the light is also small), and less than $50. I'd like this to be using a relatively new LED with a long runtime, hopefully 15 hours or more. If there are multiple output modes, that's fine as long as the low is pretty easy to get to.

I already own a E01, but I'm looking for less output.

*edit: Maybe 15 hours is too much to ask. Let me know what my options are, independent of runtime.

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
You can probably pick up an E0 for $12 or so. If I remember correctly it's output is 5lumens and it runs for 18ish hours depending on batteries.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you looking for such a low low? If it's to eek the most possible juice from a battery, then you'd be better off with the E01 because its really efficient. If it's late night bathroom runs, then an E0 will work well for you

warlord

Enlightened

smg

Newly Enlightened
Why are you looking for such a low low? If it's to eek the most possible juice from a battery, then you'd be better off with the E01 because its really efficient. If it's late night bathroom runs, then an E0 will work well for you
I want a real low low so that I can illuminate something with enough light to read (menu, for example) in a bar or theater without calling everyone's attention to me.

sirahren

Newly Enlightened
how about a photon? not AA or AAA but very low output and very high runtime.

Retral

Newly Enlightened
The LF2X can be purchased for only $3.25 above this limit, including shipment anywhere, from a well known site who has Extreme Deals :)

Oi, why would you spend so much on a low-output light?

I see no point in spending more than $15-ish --- on the Fenix E01

smg

Newly Enlightened
Oi, why would you spend so much on a low-output light?

I see no point in spending more than $15-ish --- on the Fenix E01
Well, that light is highly customizable. It is not only a low-level light, it has a great high-level output and you can put the levels in the sequence you want. $53.25 is a good price for that light. My issues are the twist interface (minor) and runtime.

Still, you are right... The E01 is a great value for what it does best.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be able to place a filter in front of a E01 to decrease output since you already have a E01.

Lumenz

Enlightened
I had the same desire as you and ended up getting several flashlights that disappointed me. The Fenix L0D and L1D being two of them--the lows aren't nearly low enough.

Eventually, I settled for two lights that work perfectly in that regard. The LiteFlux LF2X and a Photon Freedom. The Freedom uses coin cell batteries so it doesn't meet your AAA or AA criteria. And the LF2X is a few bucks over your limit. However, between the two, I think you will have what you are looking for and the lights will be versatile enough to give you more lumens when you need them.

cv3po

Banned
I'd go with a new Photon Freedom. The new models (if you buy direct from photonlight.com) have the Nichia DS or GS bulbs and run really well on a single 2032 battery. With this setup you can go from dim enough to stare into the bulb all the way to say 3-5 lumens on max. The 2032 battery also has excellent battery life..........hours and hours before you'd notice it dimming. The UI is excellent as well, if you press the button once you're at max output but if you press and hold the button it starts out at minimum output and slowly ramps up.............just release when you're at the desired level.

arty

Enlightened
I have a Liteflux LF2 and it is under your price limit. For your use, it will work as well as, if not better than the more expensive LF2X. It can be adjusted to the low you like. I use mine for walking around at night without disturbing my wife when she is asleep.

The low makes a 1 lumen Surefire L1 look like bright sunlight. I have mine set for 1 lux at 1 meter, but you can set it higher for reading.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second (or third) the Photon Freedom as well. You depress and hold the button and as mentioned, it starts off dim enough to stare at and will always be on your keychain. I can attest the Pak-lite on low would also suit your needs, I can't think it's more then a lumen or so on low. I use mine quite extensively.

paulr

Flashaholic
You could get a Peak Matterhorn set up for low output. Mine is around 1.5 lumens.