Just picked up a Surefire 6PL..first impressions

Hofgrad01

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am not an expert on flashlights but here is my initial impressions of the 6PL. My other flashlight is a G2 Incan so I compared the two. Keep in mind that this is not scientific, just my initial observation with the two lights

Overall, the 6PL's light has a bluish-white tint to it and the output beam has a slightly different oval shape compared the the G2's beam.

Inside, the 6PL seems bright and very similar to the output of the G2. The bluish tint of the 6PL alters some details of items in the room. For example, colors of items in the room appear less vibrant with their reflections being more dull than the G2; The same items lit up by the G2 appear vibrant.

Outside, the 6PL seems to illuminate distant objects a little less than the G2. I guess this would be described as having less throw. I compared the two lights by aiming them at a neighbors house which is two houses away and also by shining the light high up onto leaves on a very tall tree. Overall, when compared to the G2, the 6PL appeared more dim when shining on distant objects.

I am a little disappointed with the 6PL's performance relative to its price. Its not a bad light (I love the build quality of Surefires) but I think the G2L would pretty much perform the same as the 6PL for about about $20 less. I really want the runtime of an LED light so I might return the 6PL, save some bucks and pick up the G2L.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Keep in mind that the 6PL and G2L use the exact same lamp, so your experience with a G2L will most likely be the same (allowing for individual LED variation).

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
...I am a little disappointed with the 6PL's performance relative to its price. Its not a bad light (I love the build quality of Surefires) but I think the G2L would pretty much perform the same as the 6PL for about about $20 less. I really want the runtime of an LED light so I might return the 6PL, save some bucks and pick up the G2L.

I think it is extremely safe to say that the G2L, out of the box, will perform virtually identically to the 6PL out of the box, for less money. Yes - that is a true statement.

Nobody should ever purchase a 6P/6PL over a G2/G2L and think that the additional cost of the 6P/6PL buys anything in the way of battery run-time, beam pattern, or any other difference in base performance.

The extra $20.00 buys an aluminum body, which some people prefer to the G2's body. And the $20.00 buys better characteristics relative to heat management, which open up a world of possibilities with drop-ins that I'd be hesitant to use in a G2 body.

If you have no plans to ever upgrade your G2L - then yes, you may be better served by trading in a 6PL for a G2L. Personally, I think the $20.00 is well-spent on the 6PL.

steveG

Enlightened
To add more newbie insight to Hofgrad01's comments...

I recently bought a 6P LED as well and so far I have mixed feelings. I first bought an Inova XO and was completely blown away by the amount of light. I guess I expected a lot more out of an almost legendary Surefire.

According to Inova the XO is rated at 65 Lumen. The 6P LED is rated at 80. I expected a brighter better beam from the Surefire but that doesn't seem to be the case. As of now I like the XO's beam more... and it seems brighter. The 6P LED has more of a flood (orange peal and wider reflector).

The batteries fit tighter in the XO. The Surefire rattles slightly when shaken side to side. The XO does not.

The XO is also easier to carry in your pocket as it is smaller and smoother (slides into a pocket easier).

At first I liked the feel of the XO more, but the 6P LED is growing on me. It certainly is easier to grip with slippery hands, so in the field that is an advantage.

Overall I really like the 6P LED. Had I bought it first I would have loved it and never looked for anything else. Because I bought the XO first, however, I'm a little disappointed. I guess because I Was paying twice as much I expected twice the flashlight...

Summary? In my opinion the XO is an excellent flashlight at a fair price. It doesn't seem to get much credit.

The 6P LED... also great, but worth the money? I'm not sure. I suppose the fact that it's upgradeable is an advantage. The fact that spare (and different) drop-ins can be carried and installed in the field is an advantage in my book.

Keep in mind that I haven't had either of these lights long. My opinions will undoubtedly change as I use them more.

dmz

Enlightened
I think a regular 6P with a DX R2 drop in would be a better choice.

Khemist

Newly Enlightened
the 6P with R2 drop-in from DX will be my first high lumen torch (only have a P1D Q5 and incan 6P)....if that drop-in will ever get here! it's the first time I ordered from DX, so far they've been pretty professional with updates, tracking #, etc.

I'm just used to quicker domestic service.

but yes, the 6P with R2 should be quite the deal. Thanks to CPFers showing me economical alternatives!

Zenster

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the 6PL and G2L use the exact same lamp, so your experience with a G2L will most likely be the same (allowing for individual LED variation).

Yea, that's what I was thinking as I read the OP. Aren't they using the exact same drop-in, the "P60L"?

The differences between the two lights as described don't make any sense to me except for maybe the batteries in one of the lights might be low.

My advice to the OP is to get a Malkoff M60L (or better yet M60) drop-in for your 6P and you'll never look back. :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The G2(incan, I presume) and the G2L/6PL/Z2L/(what ever Surefire light that has the P60L in it) will have similar output. The P60L is more runtime oriented then many of the other aftermarket LED drop-ins.

The P60L should be a bit brighter then the P60 used in the G2(unless you swapped it for the P61).

If you want more output, check this thread for a list of P60 style/sized drop-ins.

Hofgrad01

Newly Enlightened
Yea, that's what I was thinking as I read the OP. Aren't they using the exact same drop-in, the "P60L"?

The differences between the two lights as described don't make any sense to me except for maybe the batteries in one of the lights might be low.

My advice to the OP is to get a Malkoff M60L (or better yet M60) drop-in for your 6P and you'll never look back. :thumbsup:

Yes I understand the the 6PL and the G2L use the same lamp assembly and will have similar output. My main point was price diff for same light (build diff not really a factor for me).

As for the batts, my G2 (about 8months old) has the original batts in it and the P60L came with fresh batts. Even so, the G2 Incan w/stock p60 and older batts had more reach than the new 6PL.

I spent more time comparing the two lights last night. The P60L actually does a very good job in dark indoor rooms and at close range, whereas the G2 incan seems better outdoors and has a farther reach.

Maybe the differences between the two are just the characteristics of the different light sources.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the P60 has more lux at 1 meter then the P60L, so that means the 60 lumen of the P60 is more concentrated to tho the hotspot then the 80 lumen of the P60L.

This is probably partially due to the emitting characteristics of a LED(180 degree instead of 360 for an incan).

Many of the the other drop-ins have a deeper reflector then the
P60L and that makes up for the different emitting characteristics.

USM0083

Enlightened
IIRC the P60 has more lux at 1 meter then the P60L, so that means the 60 lumen of the P60 is more concentrated to tho the hotspot then the 80 lumen of the P60L.

This is probably partially due to the emitting characteristics of a LED(180 degree instead of 360 for an incan).

Many of the the other drop-ins have a deeper reflector then the
P60L and that makes up for the different emitting characteristics.

Also, many people find that incans tend to render colors better outdoors, so while a LEDs beam may reach as far as an incan, it doesn't bring out the colors and features than an incan might. To my eyes incans lights things up better outdoors.

Hofgrad01

Newly Enlightened
Also, many people find that incans tend to render colors better outdoors, so while a LEDs beam may reach as far as an incan, it doesn't bring out the colors and features than an incan might. To my eyes incans lights things up better outdoors.

Exactly

So far, in my experience with the 6PL, LED light seems to have less contrast when shining on something so things don't "pop" out as much as with the incan. I would describe it is as a flatter light: colors appear a little subdued with the LED, i.e greens appear more as a pale green with a slightly cool tint to it & branches take on a more dark brown look with less detail vs a light tan with the incans

fireboltr

Enlightened
One more thing youlle have to remember between the 6pl/g2l is that do to poor heat transfer the g2l will throttle back pretty fast, extending runtime but dropping output. The 6pl will run at the regulated output for longer but will have a shorter overall battery life. I kinda felt the same way you did about the p60l after i first got it, then it grew on me I realised that it was designed more as a room lighter than a spot light. The incan p60 does have more throw but puts out much less overall light than the p60l.....I know your asking about throw and in a "p60" style and sized light you will be hard pressed to get much more throw out of it. Sure alot of dropins are brighter and do throw beter but also run hotter and do not have the waranty of the surefire (excluding the malkoff Gene kicks butt). The true longevity/durability of the dx and other lesser dropins has yet to be established, but do seem to have a decent track record thus far....

In my honest opinion if you want throw and blazing output/bullet proof performance go with the Malkoff m60, in the 6pl body....If you want sufficient output and runtime with a bullet proof performance/waranty go with the p60l (until the p61l gets here).

I know I doubted the p60l in a g2l at first but it has become a very usefull utility light that i have been able to rely on both for close up work and for med distance spotting/navigation. More than bright enough for the intended purpose it was designed for (aside for the cool white). As far as your 6pl/g2l decision goes it is in the end up to you....I own both and they both have thier places...The 6p gets the malkoff m60 to handle thermal dissipation and for the times when i need a butt-load of light now (you know the wtf was that factor)....The g2l with p60l gets used in a utilitarian role as the throwy barn burner lights are just to dang bright for this task.

All in all they are both excelent lights and have thier places/purposes....
But in the end if what you wanted was a "thrower" I am sorry to say you purchased the wrong light for the task...If throw and no b.s. output are what you are after i think you would have been much happier with one of the dedicated throwers out there... i.e. tiablo ma6/a8/a9, dareelite dbs, lumapower mrv ect..

Just my .02 cents worth on the subject

Last edited:

Hofgrad01

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info

I spent more time with the 6PL last night and I can say it is growing on me. :grin2:

Is there any "break in" time for LEDs? I could swear the beam appears to have less blueish tint to it now. Maybe its just me getting used to LED light..

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Does dx give cpf'rs a discount,gotta get one to compare to a few drop ins I have,thanks guys:thumbsup:.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LED's don't have a break in time, they start dimming(very Very VERY slowly) as soon as they are used.

It might be because you are getting used to the LED's different color spectrum.

DX does not have a coupon for CPFers.

Hofgrad01

Newly Enlightened
Gunner

Is it normal to have a ring in the output beam when shining on something at close distances (say about 6-12" away)? I noticed a ring in my beam at close distances but goes away when distance is increased. Looking into the reflector, there is a flat area surrounding the LED module in the reflector. Could this be the reason for the ring? Otherwise, the LED looks like it is dead center

Last edited: