The BIG Lights

DM51

Flashaholic
The BIG Lights

There are some lights that occupy a special place all of their own, because of their stupendous output and mind-boggling power. Usually the individual stories behind them are fascinating too, and I am probably not the only CPFer who likes re-reading those threads from time to time.

I thought it might be an idea to make a "Big Lights" thread, listing the main threads covering the genesis and/or testing of each of these great creations. In this context, I do not intend this to mean huge in size, although one or two of them are so massive that they actually require a heavy-duty vehicle mount or even a trailer to physically transport them around. Others are relatively compact and hand-portable.

The "Big" accolade is intended to reflect the greatness of a light and the impact it has made here on CPF, or, in the case of a newer creation, the likelihood that its reputation will stand the test of time. These are lights that should make you smile with admiration each time you revisit their threads.

As well as differing widely in their physical size, these lights don't even all fit into a single category. Some of the threads are located in Spotlights & HID, others are in Homemade & Modified, and others in the Incan section. And yes, there is one very serious LED candidate that belongs here too. We can unify a useful list here for reference, while leaving the individual threads in their respective sections.

This could become a subjective list; in theory it would be possible for me to slant it toward my personal favorites. I don't want it to be like that. I would like a broad consensus of views from all of you who are knowledgeable about big lights, if we can achieve that.

I have started a list below, and I hope some of you will have additions you think ought to be made to it. If I am sure of one thing, it is that I have left out some candidates that fully deserve to be included. In other cases, the threads I have linked may not be the best or most informative ones for the lights concerned – again, please say so. And of course, you may even think some of the lights I have included don't belong in this list at all. If so, don't be afraid to say so - but no flaming or extended arguments please.

I think we'll try and keep it to lights of 5,000+ lumens, and we'll also try to stick to just one main thread for each light. The aim should be to create a list of GREAT lights, whose place in CPF history is (or looks very much as if it will be) assured.

"I coulda been a contender" doesn't cut it here. These lights are already heavyweight champs.

So: your suggestions, please! I think the list can include stock lights, although most won't be stock. I'll amend it as we go along, and when it is looking good I'll include it in the "Threads of Interest".

Here is the list, in no particular order:

AN/VSS-1 Searchlight CarbonArc

The Maxablaster Ra

300 Watt HID: The "Locator" Blackhawk Targeting Light BVH

HyperBlitz – JetskiMark

PK1000 – Petrev

Vaporizer, Hyperblaster, Deathblaster (et al) – LuxLuthor

400W HID Thor – ez78

Thor X10 Mod - 3Power 1000W Spotlight – Petrev

1000w GE4557 Beamshots Flashanator500mW

LK14 – LarryK

60in Carbon Arc WWII AA searchlight – BVH

The Coleman Conversion – Nitro

Barnburner & XeRay Links – LuxLuthor

Polarion PH-50 Main Thread – Patriot36

1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light lotsalumens

Data Bank 70 Data

The Sleeper, and the 50W HID Lightforce Blitz Crosman451 & Sway

Ken4 Superlight Mr Ted Bear

Project Aurora Ginseng

Modamag's Odyssey to the Dark Side - modamag

PX200-HID - Petrev

Holzleim's Handheld 500W LED Power - Holzleim

Homemade 24" scratch built & designed reflector - LightSward

50 inch Reflector "Monster Light" - LightSward

"Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus - overdog

Shootout Maxabeam Gen3-85 Watt & CAI Communicator 123 Watt - BVH

My Holy Grail Has Been Found - Parts of One Anyway - SX-16 NightSun - BVH

Not Quite The Holy Grail But Still Pleased - TrakkaBeam M800, 800 Watt Short Arc - BVH

600 Watt Short Arc M-134 Cannon Light - INFANT AN/ASQ-132 - BVH

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Awesome reference thread!

I just discovered the 400W HID by Ez78 because of this thread. I still can't believe I never saw it until just now. I'm also falling in love with BVH's Locator light again.

Thanks for all the amazing links David. Nice addition :thumbsup:

Paul

Edit. I didn't even see my name on that list until just now. I don't feel worthy to have my PH50 thread included among all these others who have so much more talent and ingenuity than myself. I'll quietly except the honor. :huh:

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
DM51,

This thread was a great idea, thanks.

Now we will be able to easily find the info and threads we need to see about the "big spotlights".

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links! Great reference! And, sorry it was not I who made a reference to the DB70, an incredible light to see in action!

Karl

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Many thanks Mark - the Data Bank 70 was exactly the LED array I had in mind as a definite and very worthy entry here, but I couldn't remember its correct name - I was hoping someone would tell me. Now included.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
DM51,

I just wanted to give you the option to add this because it has reviews with lots of details and beamshot comparisons of many of the "best" handheld spot/search lights ever made.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/

And once again, great thread!:twothumbs

EDIT: Sorry if this seems a little off-topic since it's not a thread about a single light, but I do think it is very interesting and might be a nice addition to the "Big Lights" list.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
DM51, superb thread, which hopefully will remain pinned. Excellent resource, and pays rightful homage to the crazy extremes that are so amazing. :bow:

ez78

Enlightened
This is a very usefull thread. Atleast the Data Bank 70 was totally new stuff for me. And some others I had almost forgotten. And of cource feels great to be on the list, thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

BVH

Flashaholic
Great idea, DM51

EZ, sure would have been fun to have your 400 Watt light at last nights shootout! You should have hopped a plane and came on over! Well, maybe that is asking a wee bit too much! :D

ez78

Enlightened
BVH,

Yeah, comparison with your 300W Locator would have been especially interesting.

I have never been to the US. But I am sure someday I will. Nothing's really stopping me. I'll pack the monster HID with me then. I am sure the customs officers like it too. :grin2:

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks, everyone - I'm glad you like this idea and think it will be useful.

larryk, excellent suggestions for additions! I've put them in there.

Some of the pics in the Project Aurora thread aren't coming up, and there is a crucial link in post #131 that doesn't work. Could someone (maybe Wilkey?) look at that and see if the missing items can be traced?

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
theres BVH's 150w Vector Twin & My 120w Vector Twin. :D

Hi Flash

You (or BVH) should maybe do a thread about them so that there is a full reference to exactly what they are and how they came about ! ! !

More details and pix and beamshots etc. the better :thumbsup:

Cheers
Pete