Similar brands

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at the Fenix P3D and P2D and think I would pick the P3D for the longer run time. I do wonder though are there any other brands with similar lights to these. I was looking at the TK10 before but would rather have a low light mode but I do like the longer throw. The NovaTacs appeal to me but I cant find where to buy them here in Australia.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I think I like the P3D a little more than them. It seems as though it might be my best option. Does anyone know where a Novatac light can be bought online in Australia? I have heard some of their lights have problems but I have also heard the same of Fenix.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Novatac and Fenix are similar but different. They are both EDC type lights but the Novatac is way overbuilt for most tasks and can probably take a bomb blast. It is also more complex then the Fenix(and more expensive).

I'm not sure where to buy them in Australia, maybe buy from a US store with international shipping?

I think to comes down to what you want. Price with good durability and good performance, or overbuilt and great reputation.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I have been reading that Fenix doesn't have very good quality control and some of their lights come out with problems, is this true or just speculation? It has made me a little scared of purchasing one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I have been reading that Fenix doesn't have very good quality control and some of their lights come out with problems, is this true or just speculation? It has made me a little scared of purchasing one.

unfounded speculation, mostly by the xenophobic Chinese brand bashers

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
What country are O-light products from? I have been having a good look and they don't really seem to bad. I don't like their website though, probably doesn't say anything about the torches though.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

A few people (me included) encountered some QC issues in some of the earlier fenix models, but the later release stuff is pretty solid and a great way to get the latest LED tech at very good value for money. Fenix probably have the best regulation in the business too.

I don't know of any Aussie locals selling Novatacs, but I can't recommend lighthound.com highly enough - I've bought my nova's and accessories (lenses, o-rings, bezels, batteries, lube) there and the service is absolutely top notch. You only need wait a week from ordering to picking the parcel out of your letterbox.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Having a look at beam shots of the O-lights makes me think they may have a to smaller spot. Does this mean they have a long throw?

On the lighthound.com website how do I know what price I will be paying? In Australian dollars that is.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW, i would stake quite alot on my P1D-Q5. :)

it is true that on odd light here and there will have problems , but that is true with just about any manufacturor.

get your stuff from www.fenixstore.com if buying fenix, worldwide shipping, and lifetime warrenty to boot..:)

Crenshaw

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone here have beam shots comparing a Novatac 120 and Fenix P2D or P3D?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I really don't understand why, but certain individuals seem stronly motivated to bash the Fenix lights and brand repeatedly. One of them described the Fenix lights as being cobbled together by bubble gum. :shakehead

I own a number of Fenix lights as well as other brands. Fenix lights are definitely not the best thing since sliced bread, but they are the best combination of features, value, and quality. All of my Fenix lights perform flawlessly, even if my needs are not "tactical strong".

It's really sad to see these certain individuals bash Fenix over and over again.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I guess it is the same in any industry. To me just looking at them on the internet they look fine, its just certain people that maybe I should never have payed attention to that made me a little uncertain. I wont really know until I have one. However I do like the look of the Novatacs, they look so strong and I like the way they look. I do wonder if Fenix over exaggerates their Lumen output, would the 120 Novatac be similar to a P3D?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it is the same in any industry. To me just looking at them on the internet they look fine, its just certain people that maybe I should never have payed attention to that made me a little uncertain. I wont really know until I have one. However I do like the look of the Novatacs, they look so strong and I like the way they look. I do wonder if Fenix over exaggerates their Lumen output, would the 120 Novatac be similar to a P3D?
Fenix publishes their lumens from the LED bulb, where as other brands, like SureFire, publishes the lumens that are measured externally by a round sphere.

It's a different way of measuring, so the lumens would be different as in apples to oranges.

To some people that's exaggerating, but if you understand how Fenix measures light output versus other manufacturers, it's simply a matter of how the light is measured and stated.

Hope that helps.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Having a look at beam shots of the O-lights makes me think they may have a to smaller spot. Does this mean they have a long throw?

On the lighthound.com website how do I know what price I will be paying? In Australian dollars that is.

Add $15 for international shipping, then divide the whole lot by 0.96. Maybe AUD $180-190.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Batteries on this lighthound store are extremely cheap. Maybe I will buy from there instead of torch world.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
How would a Novatac 120 look in comparison to my 4 D Maglite. Obviously the light will be a lot smaller but will it be as bright? I am guessing it will have more of a flood light.