Which photon light(s) to buy

teesh

Newly Enlightened
Don't know a thing about them other than what they are. What are some good makes/models? What do you look for in these things? Size and weight are pretty much the same i guess, but what do they use for batteries? Cells I guess? Any suggestions?
Primarily to use hiking and camping for a backup to a backup.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Which Photon lights are you referring to? The Proton and Proton Pro uses AA cells, where most of their keychain lights uses two CR2016 cells (lithium coin cells).

Photon Microlights are nice*, but I also periodically get a pack of these. They are a good copy of the original, but you can get 30 of them for the price of a single Photon Microlight II. The copies are known as "fauxtons"

*for the record, I keep a Photon Microlight I w/Nichia DS on my keychain, but keep the fauxtons everywhere else, including relative's keychains, stashed around the house, handful at work for handouts, etc.

paulr

Flashaholic
I assume you're asking about the little keychain lights and not larger Photons like the Proton (which runs on an AA cell). There is the actual Photon brand and there are a lot of similar lights. They generally run on two 2016 coin cells. The most popular Photon models are the Photon Freedom and the Photon II. The Freedom is microprocessor controlled, dimmable, has signalling modes, etc. The II is simply a pair of 2016 cells in a plastic shell and a led whose leads squish down against the batteries to light up. The Freedom has far more functionality (some might say it is too smart for its own good) while the II is very simple and some people like that. Lately CPF'ers have been using a lot of what we call "Fauxtons" (= faux Photons) which are cheap imitations of the Photon II. They have basically the same functionality at around 1/10th of the cost. I have about a dozen real Photons and 50 or so Fauxtons and I'd say the Fauxtons are not quite as good as the real ones, but realistically if they're not good enough for your purposes then maybe you want to look for a 1aaa light instead of a plastic keychain light.

Anyway it's sort of a delicate topic. I'm an aficionado of this type of light so I have them from a lot of different brands. The influence of the Photon on all of them is very evident. You have to decide based on your own priorities. I'd say get Photons if you want the Freedom's features or if you like authenticity and want to buy from the original source. If you just want functional tiny lights at a low cost, Fauxtons are about the biggest bargain out there.

Last edited:

teesh

Newly Enlightened
Yes, thank you, that was what I was looking for. I didn't know what might be available in these. I may get both the 10 pack and the individual Microlight.
Thanks again for both of your replies..

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I only use genuine Photons.

Also, I would consider it an insult to give my friends and family (and my team members and some work colleagues) anything other than genuine Photons as gifts. They may or may not realise there is a difference but I would know I was being cheap and dishonest.
I ask myself is a gift really a gift it is easy and cheap to give away?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
They may or may not realise there is a difference but I would know I was being cheap and dishonest.

Maybe so if you're giving it as a proper "gift", but the little coin-cell lights that come free with many orders from flashlight retailers are great to hand out to those who would otherwise have no light on them at all. I always make it quite clear that they're nothing special and only cost about 50p when I hand them out, which might actually make them more likely to use it knowing it will be cheap to replace. Never try to pass them off as Photons.

Having said that I have a Photon (genuine) on my keychain. With a blue LED...not sure why...blue seemed like a good idea at the time :thinking: A lot of fauxtons gets stashed around the house/in the car etc.

Regards,
Tempest

Marduke

Flashaholic
I only use genuine Photons.

Also, I would consider it an insult to give my friends and family (and my team members and some work colleagues) anything other than genuine Photons as gifts. They may or may not realise there is a difference but I would know I was being cheap and dishonest.
I ask myself is a gift really a gift it is easy and cheap to give away?

Well, it's the choice between a "gift" being prohibitively expensive, so no one gets one, or being cheap enough that I can give everyone I know one for the price to purchase a single original. It's not dishonest if you make no claim of it being the Photon Microlight, and most people I've given one to have never even hear of "Photon". It's "just a keychain light".

On a side note, I cannot give out expensive "gifts" at work due to the gifting/bribe policy, so 47cent "trinkets" will have to suffice.

cv3po

Banned
For a backup to a backup get the new "original" Photon II white and then take out the 2-2016 batteries and install a single 2032. This will be nearly failure proof and will still be plenty bright for a backup and will get dozens of hours or runtime. One of the great things about the original Photons is that they gold-plate the LED leads to make them corrosion resistant as well as get rid of that annoying flicker that plagues many cheap versions. I haven't been without a Photon on my person in over a decade and have never had a failure! For a backup you need the best and it's still the Photon!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I understand what people are saying - it's just the idea of using or giving somebody a fauxton makes me feel cheap and dirty. It's the way my warped mind works.
Each to their own.