Surefire E1B and Rechargeables

mikespike2

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried it out yet? I searched around and didn't come up with much.

I'm curious if i can run a 3v RCR123 or even a 3.7v RCR123? I don't know too much about the light's circuitry and if it is regulated and what input voltage it takes.

Recommended place to purchase? Lighthound? Anyone specializing on CPFM?

mega_lumens

Enlightened
the 3.2v R123s work fine. When fully charged the light flickers on high for ten seconds and then goes into regulation.

3.2v-is that a common RCR123? Is there any risk of frequently under driving it to a point were the bat will shut of from protection, or it's completely safe to use it till max time?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
3.2v-is that a common RCR123? Is there any risk of frequently under driving it to a point were the bat will shut of from protection, or it's completely safe to use it till max time?

People are reporting that the E1B flickers with 3.6-4.2 volt RCR's. Not so with the Cree L1.

Bill

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

it's safe. I've run mine for 30 minutes on high before it reached 2.0v(the threshhold below which the battery gets damaged. I's what people call 3.0v R123 but It's 3.2v nominal in my experience and 3.7v fresh of the charger

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not really a flicker, but more like a slow strobe when using 3.7 v with the E1B heads. The circuitry is trying to limit the voltage or something...and you get like half a second of bright, then dim, then bright, etc etc.

I know people have been using the "3.0 v" RCR123s by letting it run the first minute in max brightness to take off some of the juice, and then there won't be a problem when using the low brightness.

mikespike2

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so a normal 3.0v RCR123 would work? I may pick up a set then.

The light only allows low brightness when the voltage drops down, so I wonder if that would be a signal to take it out and charge it so the battery isn't damaged from being below 2.0v?

Any suggestions where to buy the batteries and charger from?

quokked

Enlightened
The AW 3.0V LiFePo4 is working fine for my E1b high and low brightness without any of that slow strobing.

I have the same strobing problem with the 3.7V AW Protected RCR123a.
Get yourself a 3.0V RCR123a and use the E1b with guilt free lumens

PS. Just incase any of you guys are thinking what I think of the E1b it is a AWESOME light, I'm using it for dressy EDC duty and use my Malkov M60 setup as my 'backup', it is a more low profile light than some of my other EDC lights. I just might have to get my hands on a Cree L1 too :candle:

Last edited:

Latest posts