repairing worn threads

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I've recently removed the anodizing from one light and found the threads now don't work anymore and dont even touch between the body of the light and the head

I'm using teflon tape at the moment, but anyone has an idea if there's a good and professional way to fix this? is it even possible?

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: repairing sanded down threads

I've recently removed the anodizing from one light and found the thread now don't work anymore.

I'm using teflon tape at the moment, but anyone has an idea if there's a good and professional way to fix this? is it even possible?

Rethread it even deeper than it had been but then you run the risk of cutting through the body itself.

Karl

aussiebuddha

Enlightened

problem is the treads on the body dont touch the ones in the head.

How about putting some sort of epoxy in the head and making a new thread?

3rdrock

Enlightened

How about putting some sort of epoxy in the head and making a new thread?

Well that answers that from the other thread

Temporarily fix with teflon.........So the teflon takes up the space from where you removed the height of the threads?
If your light opens on both ends,I would use JB Weld to lock the one end on.That is permanent,You also could removed the oil/lube and super glue it together,you may be able to remove it later for repair or upgrade.
progress.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

That said, there's copper tape available. Try wrapping the worn out threads in that (I'm assuming the threads are part of the conductive path of the circuit.)

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened

That said, there's copper tape available. Try wrapping the worn out threads in that (I'm assuming the threads are part of the conductive path of the circuit.)

If the thread is still there but not "high" enough, you could try this :
- put teflon on the good thread (to protect it)
- put loctite glue on the bad thread
- fiw the 2 parts
- wait 1 hour
- un screw the 2 parts
- remove the teflon

It could work but be sure not to have a "hole" in the teflon...

This glue is very efficient to fill "holes" in metal for rotative parts (ball bearings, axis, aso...)

JP

aussiebuddha

Enlightened

Hi greenled
Light is a twistie, so the threads dont have any use in conducting electricity, just the top part of the body tube that makes contact with the circuit board when twisted on.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened

Inspectign the eye *by eye* it seems the (female) threads in the head are ok, and the (male) threads in the body are the ones worn/shorter.
(not sure if the male/female terminology is ok, but hope you get the idea ;-)

I think some sort of glue like you mentioned might be the way to go, either epoxy or loctite, but I'm afraid of stuffing up, such a delicate thing..

greenLED

Flashaholic

I think some sort of glue like you mentioned might be the way to go, either epoxy or loctite, but I'm afraid of stuffing up, such a delicate thing..
I don't think it' can get any worse than it currently is! :p