Gerber Omnivore: First impressions

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Good people,

Here are some first impressions of the Gerber Omnivre, which I've been playing with lately.

I bought this light ($20-some from REI) for the obvious reason that a light that will just use any old battery you've got laying around was attractive to me. I don't know how it happened, but I have a small pile of alkeline AAAs, and nothing to use them in. I also was hoping for a battery goul, to suck life out my dead batteries.

So, how does it look? I have no complaints about the finish. It looks and feels solid and well-made. It is, however, huge. It's wider than a D-cell, and four and a half inches long. You won't want to carry this in your pocket. No accessories came with it, but does have a lanyard attachment.

It will run on one AA, one AAA, or one 123A cell. The packaging doesn't claim that the light is regulated. Inside the light is what looks like a puzzle. Here's a blurry pic of the battery compartment.
inside_omnivore.jpg
You find the right groove for a AA, a AAA, or a 123A.

I have been using this around the house, and also to bounce off the ceiling to light a room a little. I use several lights do this when I'm up late at night (chronic insomnia, so I'm up late a lot; that's one of the reasons I am so into flashlights).

This light takes a LONG time to quit giving light. I ran this for a full week, two hours a night before I changed out the alkeline AA that came with it. That's as close to a runtime test as I'm capable.

Sorry, no beamshots; I'm no good at them. But I'll just tell you: the beam is ugly. The optic refracts the colors in a not-too-attractive way. A bluish (maybe purple) hotspot surrounded by a thick, bright secondary hotspot that is the most intense sickly green I've ever seen, with some more neutral white rings out from there. As the light dims, you're left with a still-bright hotsopt that is still useful for close work (the green ring becomes even more pronounced, however). If, like me, you usually like a tight beam, you might like a tight beam, you might like this optic.

I know that Greenlight took apart a similar Gerber light to mod it. Changing the LED for better tint (and maybe better efficiency) might make the light a happier experience.

How does the light perform as a goul? As I said, it does suck a lot of juice out an alkaline. I compared it to my number one ghoul, a Dorcy Super 1 Watt. I know that I can take a primary 123A cell that does not register on my ZTS battery meter, drop it in the Dorcy, and get an hour or more of light. I tried this test on the Omnivore: tried a "dead" cell on the meter. Nada. dropped it in the Omnivore. Nothing. Put in the Dorcy 1 Watt. It made light for an hour before I turned it off and went to bed. My scientific conclusion: The Omnivore is not as efficient a battery ghoul as the Dorcy.
omnivorecompare.jpg

Here ends my first review.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
gottawearshades,

Thanks for this first impressions write-up! Very interesting that this light can take AA or AAA or 123A. Could you elaborate on that? How exactly does that work? Can you mix and match? How many of each type? Etc.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Howdy, js.

It takes just one cell at a time. That compartment to fit all three types makes the light so big.

Cheers

gottawearshades,

Thanks for this first impressions write-up! Very interesting that this light can take AA or AAA or 123A. Could you elaborate on that? How exactly does that work? Can you mix and match? How many of each type? Etc.