General use light?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Kohler Brightstar 3d flashlight that I put a 1w pr based led bulb in. It is quite the battery miser. I keep coming back to this inexpensive light for general use around the house,power outage,etc... They are inexpensive,built reasonably well for a polymer flashlight,and good for a lend out light. Anyone have something similar?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well I sanded down a 5mm neutral tinted LED from a dead fauxton to fit in my MiniMaglite and run it in direct drive with 2 AA batteries. It isn't that bright but works well.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Well I used to have a couple of MiniMags, but the bulbs in those seemed to burn out every time I needed them, so I bought a Maglite 3xAA LED that I've managed to misplace. So now my light for pretty much everything is my Inova X5. If I can find a Target that still has the silver ones on hand, I'll get a second on the discount. I'm planning on buying some sort of high-output light for summer/fall camping, but for now my X5 fills pretty much any need I run across.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
HouseFlashlightssmall.jpg

Bottom left Turtlelight with Tektite LPR-113 bulb.
Bottom right RayOvac 2 in 1 with Superbrightleds PR2-W1-WVR Flashlight Bulb.

GreySave

Enlightened
3D Maglite with 3 watt Diamond LED. Not used much except for power outages and as a lend out light, but still nice to have around. As you said, very long battery life. Have a couple of Brightstar 2D lights with 1 watt EverLeds in them that I use with wands for traffic contral and also for power outages.

roymail

Enlightened
You seem to be asking about a general use task light... lots of options. But, something very useful for me are the SMJLED's available at Lighthound. You can put them in any 2AA, 2C, 2D lights and have 10 lumens and a useful beam.

And, they run for hours and days if necessary. ;)