Suggestions for a duty light

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
I know these have been posted time and time again, but I have strict guidelines this time....
I recently lost my pelican 7060 on duty, it was a great light, bright etc just one problem, it was to small, so this time here is what im looking for...
1. size very similar to a mag 3d, no weird shapes like the surefire dual lamp head and such
2. Bright!!!! i would like the brightest in this flashlight style catagory
3. rugged
4. under 200 dollars
5. must be all these things out of the box, no mods, and it has to bee 200+- from a website not used or anything like that.

what are your suggestions....
magcharger? tigerlight? help me out here

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
thanks I know that, the malkoff magcharger dropin is a lot brighter
I was kind of leaning towards incan but does anyone know of any other lights in the same general size/shape of maglites?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The MagCharger is around 3D sized and you can swap in a WA 1160 for more output. Pretty simple since the MagCharger already uses a similar Bi-pin bulb(dimmer but similar dimensions)

The Malkoff drop-in should work well too. But that would probably push the total past $200.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight SL20X with a SL35 lamp assembly. Or get a cut down Carley 1940 reflector and potted 1160 bulbs from CPF member js.You will need a glass lens from flashlightlens.com for this mod.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that would fit this.
There are definitely great flame-throwing, yet easy mods that can be done to m@gs. Both Incan and LED.
If you're willing to go above $200 there are options. A stock Surefire M6 is definitely "above" though.
Compact HIDs are coming along, but startup time is still an issue, as is the price, again.
A Wolf Eyes Thunder will be around your price and size if you want to go LED. Also similar is the Peak First Responder.
I don't know if Tigerlight have any current offerings at the moment as I don't watch them much. Not sure on price but I'd guess probably >200 if they have new offerings.

There just aren't many big (physical size) lights left on the market anymore. :thinking:

prof student

Enlightened
fireluvrandrew - you said "right out of the box with NO mods", right? If that is the case, have you looked at Streamlight's Ultrastinger? Magcharger is only 40,000 cp & others posters have complained about the looooong recharge time vs. short usage time.

Streamlight Ultrastinger:
- 75,000 candlepower/295 lumens
- rechargeable
- $94.95
- dunno how long it takes to recharge
- 1 hour continuous use
- downside is a 30 hour life on bulb (dunno how long it really last)

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe Tigerlight??:confused:

how is TL compaerd with MC and US?

BTW, last year I asked which one was the best between MC and US and seems MC would be the best choice becouse you can use a lot of drop-in(s) or change bulbs (like WA1160)....:thumbsup:

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
these are all excellent ideas!! I like the black bear lights ive never seen those before, as of right now im leaning towards the tigerlight with the 375 lumen bulb, probably the brightest option for the price right now... unless you guys now something better :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Tigerlight is a pretty good choice and price is pretty good too.

I don't think the BearClub has a cradle charger.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 9AN is smaller than you're thinking, but still pretty big - and it's dual-output, IIRC 140 and 20 lumens.

Latest posts