The Phoenix has landed!

Illum

Flashaholic
indeed...for over an hour now

and jeez, for those who don't know, this isn't the "fenix" we're so used to, its a mars lander we've sent up in orbit that successfully landed on the Surface of Mars

behold the rise of the Phoenix:)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
We watched the live coverage on the Canadian Discovery Channel. It was pretty tense when they were counting down the height because at first it wasn't obvious it was decelerating.

Congratulations to NASA and JPL.

Greg

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been watching NASA TV all afternoon. I agree as they were counting down the altitude it seemed to be dropping faster than I imagined it would all the way till under 100m.

Can't wait to see the science that comes from this over the next 3 months.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you to everyone for this interesting thread !

:twothumbs
_

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I agree as they were counting down the altitude it seemed to be dropping faster than I imagined it would all the way till under 100m.

This is the first lander in a very long time that I'm aware of that's used retro-rockets to land - if you remember the Pathfinder and all the landers since then have used airbags, in keeping with NASA's recent "smaller, faster, cheaper" philosophy. It's good to see that they're fudging a bit on the cheaper part; Pathfinder was $120 million, Phoenix rings in at just under $500 million (the big lander most people think of, Viking, came during a time when there was still plenty of money being thrown around; it also had retro-rockets, as it should have for *2 billion* dollars.)