Backpacking Light

Rail

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
I'm in the midst of planning a series of mountain climbing trips for the summer. As many of you probably know, this involves a thorough list of supplies and equipment. Eventually this list turns to the issue of light.
Everything I take has to be carried, so the goal is to keep the amount of gear, therefore my pack, as small, simple, and light as possible. For years, I carried a Military 2D Anglehead, and a MiniMag 2AA, with an appropriate number of spare batteries/bulbs. Over the past year, my lighting options have significantly increased, so I'm finding the question more difficult to answer.
Late last fall I climbed Mt. Adams, with several hours of the ascent and the entire descent at night. Based on this experience I have decided to break down my options as follows.

Primary/Lowbeam
-Inova X5, Arc LS, or MiniMag w/ Opalec as a low output, extended burn trail/task light.

Auxillary/Highbeam
-Brinkmann LX, SF, PT 40, or PT Surge as a long throw, high intensity beam.

Headlamp
-PT Aurora as a low intensity, extended burn headlamp

Backup/Reserve
-Arc AAA LE, Inova, EliteMax as a backup.

There may be other lights that fit these categories, but here is my reasoning for these lights. A primary low intensity, long burning flashlight provides ample light for walking, seeing within close proximity, without completely sacrificing night vision. This is an opinion, but I find that I'm more aware of my surroundings and have an easier time hiking with my eyes fully adjusted and only enough light to be sure of where I'm placing my feet.
The PT Aurora fits the same niche, but has the headlamp advantage, providing light when both hands are necessary for mobility, which (if you're lucky) leaves the primary light swinging from the D ring of your pack straps. It serves to double the available light when used with the Primary, and is compact, light, and durable.
The PT Surge is the long throw auxillary, when you need to spot something out of range, or visibility is low (snowstorm, trying to find a rock cairn in a rocky snowfield, etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). It is only used for moments, minutes at best.
Finally a backup, something that can put out enough light, and last long enough to travel by should Mr. Murphy strike and deprive you of your primary light(s). It also helps for those moments when you have to change your batteries, or find your missing light.
Personally, I prefer my lights to be fairly robust and waterproof, or at least, water resistant. I also try to limit the selections to one or two types of batteries. This allows the battery reserve to be more versatile, and therefore, smaller.
Of the lights I currently own, I will be taking the Opalec as primary(Lowbeam), PT Aurora as my headlamp, PT Surge as my Aux(Highbeam), and EliteMax as my backup. All the lights have decent burn time, and are very water/shock resistant. The same reserve of AAs can feed all the lights save the Aurora, wich would only need a modest supply of AAAs.
I have considered switching over to a 123A selection of lights, as I believe they are potentially lighter (though more expensive to run), but the lack of an offordable, robust light as an Aux/Highbeam holds me back. I've considered SFs, such as an E2E/O. I agree these would be excellent, but they are not water proof (shy of the M2) and prone to bulb breakage. At $15-$25, a Tech 40 or Surge wins, especially when a single perfume sample vile can carry the spare bulbs (at $4 vs. 15$) necessary, and have the added benefit of adjustable beams.
I'm sure someone is going to say "hey, the opalec isn't waterproof". Absolutely right, however, it is highly water resistant, has no bulb to break, and is fully regulated. The PT Impact/Impact II/Attitude would make good substitutes, or the more expensive Arc LS, but the OMag works fine.
As far as other lighting needs, when I sail or hike at night, a strobe is a nice thing to have, such as the ACR series. I've always carried my fathers Firefly 4G (123As) or my MS-2000 (AAs). The need for a strobe to be submersible/exceptionally bright on a backpacking trip may be negligable, so I've considered carrying just the EliteMAX to serve both as strobe and backup. It appears to be bright enough on pulse/SOS, any opinions?
Sometimes I take a pair of glowsticks or a krill, but with number of lights already carried, I don't think they're necessary.
Has anyone ever carried road flares? The pop/strike kind, not the gun. I used to hike with a guy who always had two waterproof flares strapped to his pack. The idea was if you really needed to signal anyone, see, or defend yourself really badly (aka furry and ferocious), they could do the job. Over the years I've surprised (or been surprised by) bull moose, bears, wolves/coyotes and such, and so far I've been lucky. The idea of carrying a flare for defense, in addition to the basic utility of the flares, seems sound. Obviously if you're hiking in an area with alot of dried brush, any kind of flame seems like a bad idea. What do you guys think?
I hoping to hear from fellow backpackers on this, but I think the questions above are applicable to everyone. Considering eveything you take has to be carried by you or on your back (food, water, clothing, gear, etc), which flashlights would you bring? Which batteries? How many? I want to know what you think.
Writing this has reminded me that I have a package scale... I'm really not a weight nazi, but I think I'll end up weighing my lights & batteries out of curiousity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care everyone!
(P.S.- My dad gave me that 2D light back when I first joined the Boy Scouts... kinda sad I have to retire it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I went camping for more than just a few days, I took a Petzl headlamp, min!mag, infinity (white and green) and a photon. All but the photon ran on AA's which made for easier storage/changeout. All provided enough light for their intended purpose.

What is going to change is that I'm now relying heavily on leds and looking at 123s along with AA's. Lighter, less prone to breakage, longer output and great all around when you have to carry it all on your back. The problem is if I'm doing the AT, how many 123s do I want to carry as not every place has them cheap.

For less than 1 week out, my list will be: 1. SF KL1/MN03 pair with one head in a 35mm film canister, a spare bulb and a headband take the petzl's place. 2. Infinity Ultra (white) and original (green). 3. Photon III (white).

Granted, you'll be taking on a mountain and a good headlamp is indispensable and it's the only thing I figured I could do without. I'm not out after dark much and I value the long throw of the MN03 and the up close of the KL1.

My wife has a min!mag headband that should fit the SF and infinities. The Infinities are bulletproof, and paired with lithiums will last longer than I need them in one outing.

I know that this probably didn't help your situation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Some of those lights I haven't gotten to play with yet so I can only tell you what I've tried and used.
Maybe you or someone else might get an illuminating idea(hehe).

-Jason

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Rail,

My last hike, the light decision was killin' me. It was a geocache/hike weekend. We went to Whitewall mountain in N.H. and took a scenic route to the cache and a difficult one back. My buddy got out of work late and the first 7 or so miles of the hike ended up at night. The last night of the hike was also at night, and it was great. I am glad I had what I did. First I will say I had a bright incandescent (my M2,) to me it was a waste, I brought it for the "wow" factor. I did not at the time own a headlight, now I will never go without. But my lights choice otherwise were good. I had a MM with Opelac as a backup burried in my pack. My main light was a Streamlight 4AA 7-Led light. The output was awesome for the hike plenty bright enough for almost everything. Durability is great for this thing, I play catch with my dog in my backyard with it at night (doubles as her night go-fetch toy). My tent/camp light was my Infinity (I believe it was my ultra). This light was awesome for the midnight runs when nature called and for map reading in the tent. My tent is a solo tent and this was more then ample lighting for me. As you noted keeping the batteries the same is a must for me too. Every lighting source and my GPS uses the same batteries (except the no purpose M2). Good luck.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the overall reasoning you've done is very sound all-around, from types of lights, to trying to standardize on one or two battery types, to the particular lights you've chosen.

My biggest criticism is that I think you're crazy for thinking of humping a Surge around the outback.

I'd probably go with Arc LS for long-running constantly-used light -- small, light, runs a good long time on one battery at a time. The Inova X5(T) also seems very appealing in this role.

For my emergency high-power light, I'd pick a Surefire E2 ... the bulb seems robust, and it's important to me that my high-intensity light run on the same type of batteries as my everyday light (the Arc LS). Not only have I standardized on batteries for these two lights, but the E2 serves as a 2-battery resovoir for the Arc, if need be. If not the E2, then the UKE 2L is the obvious choice for me -- it's waterproof, robust, very light weight, and still uses 123As.

I think the small emergency light is mostly a don't-care, I personally go with a Photon or an Arc LE.

The headlamp is the one thing that's making me re-think everything. Like you, I have an Aurora. However, I am considering whether or not to shift my camping headlamp to one of the newer lights that has a halogen and LEDs in the same unit. Do any of those run on 123As? If I went this route, this light might serve as both my everyday light and my high-powered emergency light, so I'd just need backups.

2dogs

Enlightened
If you want to carry that much weight and bulk then your choices are fine. I wouldn't want to so generally I carry an Arc AAA on a neck cord or sometimes a Petlz Tikka headlamp,both burn AAAs. If my kids go then each will carry a minigag.

LEDs give me all the light I need to prepare dinner or answer nature's call. If the whole family plans to hike at night for some reason such as star gazing then I'll bring a SF G2. The G2 is new to me and will replace the 6P or 6C i used to carry. Note this light is used to pick out a trail, not to follow one as it is way too bright.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Quite a nice selection...

After a few years our choice of lights came down to the following:
Emergency - Photon 3
Primary - Arc LS (123 pack)
"Spot/powerfull" - SF 6P
Headlamp - LS fitted Petzl Zoom or Princeton Tec Matrix

When one battery size is critical (123's are extremely expensive and scarce over here), we use the Arc 2AA and the Petzl 3AA adapter. Lately I've been using only the LS fitted Matrix with the Arc-LS as "back-up".
Our LS Petzl Zoom is fitted with a PWM swith allowing three light levels and 2 strobes. With the block battery it lasts in excess of 8 hours. It is however quite "large"!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Primary/Lowbeam
-Inova X5, Arc LS, or MiniMag w/ Opalec as a low output, extended burn trail/task light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'd consider the X5 or LS as low output, long burn lights. The Opalec is good, and I have one in my pack with glass lens, Kroll tailcap and lithium batteries (lighter). The Attitude could probably stand in, but I'd rather not have to carry AAA spares. One light that might be interesting here is the SF L1. Anyone have the runtime in low mode?

That said, I would consider the above catagory simply "low output, long life" and add another catagory: "work/task".

Work/Task:

E1-or-E2 + KL1 (+ tailcap when avail) or Arc LS or Minimag + BB500 + glass lens + kroll. While my E1/KL1 was basically an impulse buy, I find it has become my primary light. I use my M2 when I need more light, but the E1/KL1 is the first light I reach for. For outdoors, the E2/KL1 might be better since it has a better runtime ratio, but the smaller size of the E1 is awfully handy. A SL 4AA 7LED might be interesting as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Auxillary/Highbeam
-Brinkmann LX, SF, PT 40, or PT Surge as a long throw, high intensity beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Surge seems too heavy to me, especially since you can't use lithium batteries. My "bright" light would be a SF M2, driven mostly because it's nearly indestructable. Less costly options might be a SF G2. The PT40 or UK2L, UK4AA would also do OK. With the M2, I think the strobe is redundant. If you really want to have an additional light for redundancy, maybe adding a UK2L would be a good backup and can be used for signaling while still being small and light. Personally I'd skip it as I suspect the E1+KL1 can be seen quite a way off, especially if they are looking for you.

[ QUOTE ]

Headlamp
-PT Aurora as a low intensity, extended burn headlamp

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a headlamp is probably the most handy item. Personally, I think a multi brightness light would be optimal. Also, I'd prefer AA batteries. I'm probably going to try a Yukon when they are available. Until then the Aurora is OK.

[ QUOTE ]

Backup/Reserve
-Arc AAA LE, Inova, EliteMax as a backup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Infiniti Ultra with lithium battery.

That said, I'd probably still take an Arc AAA and keep the Ultra as a backup (basically not use it).

For a marker light, I'd probably take a couple of Photon III Crystals + Rav'n Crystals set on a Berkeley point SS miniclip. I think this would be better than the Krill since they are lighter and you can have more than one for the same weight. I'd get different colors so you could do something like clip a different color light on various members of your party.

So, in general, I'd see ditching the Surge gives you the weight savings to add a couple of "bonus" lights!

Long life: MM + Newbeam
Bonus - Work/Task: E1+KL1
Highbeam: SF M2
Headlamp: PT Aurora, later Yukon
Backup/Reserve: Infiniti Ultra
Bonus light: Arc AAA
Bonus light - Marker: Photon III Crystal + Crystal

Another thing to consider is the just FCC approved (for land), personal locator beacons. They should be available by the time you go. I'd seriously consider one of these for any serious trip: http://www.equipped.org/plb_legal.htm

Regarding the flares, while I suspect it would deter various furry critters, I can't imagine you can reasonably light one of these quickly and under pressure. They are also a bit large. I'd opt for a S&W 430PD or some bear mace.

Regarding spares, partially it depends on the length of the trip. I like to have at least one set of spares for each light/device but at the same time reduce the types of batteries used so I can be more flexible. In other words, I may have 1 set of spares for my bright light, but I can use that as two sets of spares for my task light. I also carry more spares for the devices/lights I plan to use a lot. For example, I only carry one spare for my bright light, but more than one for my task light. Also, for lights that use only one battery, I typically carry min of two spares so they can be used in other lights if need be. I also only carry lithium batteries (except AAA, which I keep min number of spares) to reduce weight.

-john

Rail

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

Thanks for the posts everyone, I appreciate other perspectives, it really helps to try and break a strategy down to find out how well it actually works. I did end up breaking out the Digital scale, and here are the measurements I came up with:

- Military 2D (Fulton MX-99) = 16.7oz. (w/Alkaline Batteries)
- MiniMag/OMag = 3.9oz. (w/Alkaline Batteries)
- Brinkmann Rebel = 4.2oz. (w/Alkaline Batteries)
- Krill 180E = 2.7oz. (w/Alkaline Batteries)
- PT Surge = 11.7oz. ( 8 Alkaline Batteries)
- PT Surge = 8.3oz. ( 4 Alkaline Batteries)
- PT Aurora = 2.9oz. (w/Alkaline Batteries)
- EliteMax = 4.1oz. (w/Lithium Batteries)
- Inova X5-T1 = 3.8oz. (w/Lithium 123As)
- Brinkmann LX = 5.5oz. (w/Lithium 123As)

(2) Alkaline AAs = 1.7oz.
(3) Alkaline AAAs = 1.2oz.
(2) Lithium 123As = 1.2oz.
(2) Alkaline Ds = 10.1oz.

I almost died when I put the Mil2D on the scale... w/ spare batteries, that's 26.8oz.! I've towed that club everywhere. As for the Surge, I knew it was probably the weak point in my setup. I see it as half the weight of what I'm used to with just 4 batteries, which is all I need for momentary trail spotting. Fully loaded, it's like carrying the spare set already, extending burn time in case it's needed. In a worst case scenario, I can cannabalize 4 batteries for my other lights and still have it work, or even the entire bank.

When I can free up some cash, I'll probably pick up a E2E/O or UKE 2L. Actually, I missed the UKE altogether! I'll definitely have to check it out. With an Arc LS, I should be able to switch over all my AAs to 123As. I still don't know of a decent 123A headlamp, so if anyone has some info, I'd appreciate it. Definitely still in love with the Aurora though, so I have a feeling it'll be first line gear for a while.

Just crunching the numbers roughly I see a potential to shave 6oz., maybe even a full half pound by switching to a 123A setup... but oh, so much money! Not to mention trying to decide on what lights I'm interested in.

I see several of you have extremely light and simple rigs. I find that very admirable. I'm sure to several of you the redundancy of the lights seems like overkill, and on normal hiking trips I pack much less. However, in the mountains, I've found myself in some pretty awkward situations. Last fall I made it to the top just fine in the dark (8:30-9pm), the cairns would contrast against the moon. About 30 minutes from the summit however, clouds and 40 mph winds came in, (probably gusting towards 50-60 at the top)and increased, to the point where I could barely see 20ft in front of me, and I lost the trail several times. Trying to spot the snow covered cairns in the snow covered rock field was nearly impossible. They all look like cairns in that kind of weather. Visibility also is affected by the need to wear a wind mask. Most of the time above the treeline was spent in cloud, completely covered in a thin layer of frost. It takes both hands to climb a rockslide, and the gaps in between most of them might as well be an eternal abyss, because whatever you drop in them, is swallowed forever. So for this kind of Mountain Climbing/Backpacking, an extra light, high intensity beam, and a headlamp are (IMO) key. Low level light is prefered for both night vision, and battery life. This kind of rig is meant for traveling long, difficult terrain at night. Simply setting up camp and using lights for chores allows for a less specific and altogether lighter solution.

I hope you find the measurements interesting, I certainly appreciate the input, so keep it coming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rail

Newly Enlightened
As for the strobe, I only carry it over land when I know I'll be making long trips at night or in less than desirable weather. I've only used it once for that purpose so far, so I'm thinking the pulse mode on the EliteMax I was considering carrying as a spare would double as my strobe (though I realize it is less effective as such).

As for the flares, they have many styles, though I was specifically refering to the waterproof pop-flares, the type you just smack the butt against a rock or your boot and they self ignite, no scratching or lighting necessary. Just lash the pouch to your pack where you can reach it instantly, pull it out and hammer the thing against something hard once to light. I'm not overly worried about having to use them, but I thought it was an interesting concept, especially for those of us who live in liberal areas, where a simple pocket knife causes undue attention, let alone a S&W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I can find a decent hiking partner for the summer (all my usual buddies have been called overseas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I'm going for the entire presidentials in one trip. I haven't done that one in years. For longer trips, especially in the deep woods with a small group, I've been trying to make sure I've got all my bases covered. Be Prepared, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 2D you have is easily fitted with a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb. That would nullify the need for extra batteries for it, and would be decently bright with throw.

http://www.techass.com/

The same outfit also has the MagmaLED dropin replacement for the minimag bulb (LED) which takes advantage of the mini's focusing capability.

With either of these bulbs: do NOT use Lithium AAs, as the bulbs overheat extremely fast!!

The Brinkmann Rebel (2AA), with Lithium AAs is an excellent choice, as is the Infinity Ultra. The Matrix or Matrix Module, if you have a light for it (ie: Solo) will take advantage of Lithium AAs for extended runtime, though not all that bright. (matrix is known for lack of brightness)

Arc LS is good, but with the cost, you need to be careful you don't drop it down a chasm.

Other good choices: Lightwave 2000/2100 3AA/4LED and the Illuminator (same head as 2000). I have an Illuminator, and it is bright.

If you want a headlamp that is dual incan and LED, the PT switchback is a good choice: 2AA internal pack, and 4C series/parallel beltmount pack.

One thing, you don't want your headlamp's light to die in the act of climbing and you have all 4 limbs fully engaged. I don't wanna hear the cussing from half a planet away, if that happens, ya hear?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Petzl Duo LED would also be a good choice for Mountain Climbing, but not the Duo Fixo (comes with carbide lamp on top). Those rope and ceiling burners are for caving, not mountain climbing.

The LX has only 1 hour runtime. Keep that in mind (unless you go with Surefire batteries).

There is an expedition that I would love to get underway. However, it is mostly underground, and I have to plan for 6 months of light. That is generally a problem, where there is no ambient light 24/7: more batteries to hump. You have less of a problem, being outside. Still, take enough to get by for 2 times the planned expedition time. This would mostly be for your longest runtime lights.

Good luck on your climbing expeditions.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
<font color="green"> </font> Rail,

Sounds like you could fit in well over at another site I frequent. We'll help wean you slowly from the big "D" rocks that you're used to. Come join my weight-loss clinic...

http://backpacking.net/bbs.html

My pack weight, with food and fuel, for 5 days is under 25 pounds, and I still take a lot of "luxury items" with me. Let your back and shoulders ponder that mid-way through your next outting.

As for specific lights for backpacking/climbing, I'd go with the Princeton Yukon with a LS and lithium batteries, as soon as it becomes available. In the meantime, the Aurora headlamp makes a perfect light for trail hiking, around camp, etc. If you need a "Big Gun", supplement the Aurora with a Tec 40 (4.4 oz with lithium AA's). For a back-up light, bring a yellow Photon III (120 hour runtime vs. 12 hours for the white), or even several of them...at .25 oz each, they don't weigh much.

Lately I've been hiking with nothing more than a couple Photon lights. One, (a Covert Photon III) with a Velcro dot attached, mounted on the underside-bill of my ball cap, it's the lightest LED headlamp in the world. The other, in the first aid kit as a reserve. All together, I'm packing a total of 1/2 oz for all lights, and still have redundancy. It may seem like an exotic concept, but once your eyes get properly adjusted, it's quite sufficient for anything but off-route navigation.

Ray-o-vac makes a headlamp that's available at Wal-Mart for about $12. Suprisingly, it's every bit as solid and well-made as a Princeton Tec light. It's got 3 LED's and an incandescent, (run options are 1 LED, 2 LED, and incandescent beam) and runs on 3 AAA batteries. I've replaced the main incan light with an LS for times when you need to light things up at a distance (and also, you don't have to worry about blowing bulbs and running out of spares when you're miles from civilization). For quite some time I carried this mod with me, and a Photon III for back-up. I liked it better than the Aurora because you can use 1-LED to read with at night when you're laying in bed, and there's no "flicker issue" that the Aurora is infamous for on it's lowest setting (drives me nuts when I'm trying to read as night). As for it's weight, it's lighter than a Tec 40/Aurora combo, and almost as versatile. When the Yukon comes out, I'll make the switch, so I can use lithium AA's exclusively in all my lights, and add the Tec 40 when I know I'll be off trail/route finding.

In terms of weight, light output, and cost, these have been some of the best options I've found. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rail - your light selections sound good and you used solid logic in your decisions. On a tangent, if you're worried about defense forget flares and consider a 4oz cansiter of Fox pepperspray. Lightweight and very effective against hostile nasties.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Rail,

Welcome.

Wow, there is a lot of good choices here.

I go hiking and canoeing regularly with our Boy Scout troop. Our hikes are less technical that what you are talking about, and I don't worry about a long throw light at all. I'll have to think on that one. In the canoe and kayak, I use a UK SL4 (excellent long throw, but using 4 C cells, it is a little heavy for backpacking).

My main light for hiking is a Streamlight Trident headlight. I carry a Petzl Tikka as a back up headlight, but got the Trident because some of the time I need more light than the LED's can put out. These headlights both use AAA batteries, so an ARC AAA makes a good back up light.

My main light for around camp is the ExternaLight. It is fun to play with at night and is very functional as well.

My trips run 5-8 days, I never carry extra batteries, and have never run out of light during a trip.

Tom

Blikbok

Enlightened
Last camping trip, I took my CMG Infinity, PT Aurora, and Surefire 6z. Next one, I'm gonna bring an Infinity Ultra, and replace the 6Z with an E2e and a 4AA waterproof light.

I've learned two things while camping: first, everything might get lost. Second, everything *will* get wet.
Not saying SF's can't be watertight, but the 4AA lights offer nearly the same throw and brightness for 1/4 the cost. Right now, I've got the Koheler-Brightstar-LSI 4AA Responder.

It sounds like your list meets criteria which are a little more hardcore than mine. But I have always found myself tending towards lights that are too bright. Heck, I'm a notorious over-packer. The two CMG's meet 95% of my camping/hiking lighting needs. I also am trying to standardize on AA cells, save for that beautiful little Aurora. How I wish it ran on 2 AA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:

... I have always found myself tending towards lights that are too bright. Heck, I'm a notorious over-packer. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, you and me both! That's an excellent point that reminds me that I can really make a smarter choice of backpacking with the lights I now have at my disposal.

Since discovering the capabilities of newer and brighter LED lights, I've found that I really needed to adjust my backpacking inventory to more closely favor the LEDs as a task/work/general lighting instrument.

This has been yet another nice thread to read through. Some really good answers and you've all given me some good choices to re-evaluate for my next hike.

-Jim

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, the joke I always made is that a lot of hardcore campers bring their gear along so they can enjoy their camping. I go camping so I can use all my gear. My biggest complaint about packing too many flashlights is, if flashlights are taking up all the room, where am I going to fit all the knives??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a multitool, swiss army knife, small folder, small fixed blade, machete, blah blah blah

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Back packing makes me think you want to keep the weight to a minimum. The mountains make me think you want batteries that work in the cold. I would recommend Lithium batteries. They are both light and work down to -40 degrees. I would try to use flashlights that all use the same batteries. My choice, under these circumstances would be the Surefire E2E and the Inova X5. Use the Surefire spare battery carrier to carry extra batteries and a bulb assembly. Pelican also makes some nice water resistant battery cases. If you must have a small backup light, I would recommend the Infinity Ultra with the lithium Energizer E2 L91 AA battery. This goes against my recommendation of one battery, but since it will probably not be used much it's OK.
oldgrandpajack

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Wow! Excellent range of ideas in this thread. I'll have to keep them in mind as warmer weather comes and our camping season arrives. I'll probably be using an Infinity in the tent, a Petzl Tikka for hands-free, and an old MiniMag w/ Badboy 400 sandwich outdoors. I would drop the Petzl if weight was an issue, and just use the Infinity in my teeth or the MM/BB400 in my armpit instead. 1 battery type, simple, light weight, reliable, and capable.

I may not be envisioning your night hiking needs correctly, but find that the MM/BB400 has plenty of throw for any hiking need. I'm a big believer in 1 watt lights for walking/hiking. No more, no less. The MM/BB400 (actually somewhat better output than most "1 watt" lights) provides good detail up to about 30 yards, and decreasing detail to twice that distance. I've found that more powerful lights make my pupils contract, robbing me of night vision without adding close up detail.

Have a great season!

Rail

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

There are some really great ideas here, I've already turned my original pack list into a messy cluster of notes and figures.

I realized that one of my posts may have implied that I was intending to pack alll those lights I weighed... I thank you guys for reading in between the lines, and sparing me the public ridicule and embarrassment!. I have only considered taking a maximum of four lights, along the ideals I expressed earlier. When I first picked up the Surge, it was so much lighter (and brighter) than my Mil2D I was beside myself. I've been doing some long hard thinking though, and as we all know, thinking can be dangerous (and expensive).

I personally don't mind the weight of the Surge, mostly because I've been in situations without it where I would have traded almost anything for it. I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but when I find myself in certain situations, and then a solution is presented... I develop a complex. This new-found solution is now a "Gear-Essential". Example... for years I used a minimag in a headband, or my Mil2D clipped to my pack straps as a headlamp substitute, as I could never find an affordable headlamp that fit my particular tastes and deemed worthy of carrying. Enter the Aurora for a night-hike... now I'm an addict. Obviously items are dictated by the potential environments we find outselves in, or anticipate. Is this the case for anyone else too? Kinda like a hiker's "safety blanket"... certain items boost your confidence when Mother Nature starts flexing some muscle. I guess the trick is to realize what just appears to be useful, and what actually is useful in the field.

Since the season is just about here for me, I'll most likely be carrying the rig I established earlier on at least my first hike. There's simply not enough time to research, reason, and find the courage to buy yet another lighting tool. Then there's at least a week of silent frustration waiting for shipping, for that final, instant gratification of pushing the switch for the very first time... *sigh*

That being said, I'm already trying to keep up with all the really great suggestions for alternative rigs. Among the list of potentials,
-UK2L
-E2E/O (w/ KL1?)
-PT Yukon
-PT Switchback
-Inova 24/7
these are just the first few I've been trying to research. I'm fairly discriminating when it comes to new gear, so decision making for me is tough. I always think back to extremes, and wise quotes from voices in my past "Cotton Kills", "Dress like an Onion", "pack TP, and then Extra TP"... the list goes on. Like BlikBok mentioned, things will be lost (or destroyed), and things will always get wet. This is especially tormenting for me, as the E2E/O looks so seductive... like that cute girl you can't stop thinking about. Yet the idea of it getting wet, or lost... completely destroys the illusion... like finding out who your dream girl has been sleeping with all these years. No more dreams, no more magic mountain, disneyworld has closed, no E2E/O /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Aarrr!

So, my layout with OMag, Aurora, Surge, EliteMax, and spares... 25.5oz.

This is down from my previous standard of 38.2oz. (hey! I can hear you all laughing!) with the Mil2D, MiniMag (at least I knew about Nexstar Bulbs back then), and associated spares. This isn't including the glowsticks and spare MiniMag I'd often pack for longer trips... or the strobe.

I've considered adjusting my rig for the lights I do have, Aurora, Inova X5-T1, LX, and spare batteries. This yields an impressive 14.6oz... but also inspires a mild feeling of nakedness...

I hope to catch more posts from you guys, take care!
(P.S.- Hey Plinko, thanks for the link! Lol, as for losing weight, I should start with the spare tire from sitting in class and doing homework 60 hours a week! College /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)