I just got SureFire G2 LED and have question

lukx

Newly Enlightened
This is my first Surfire light so my question might seem stupid for you :)
Is it ok that I can't twist totally tailcap because it will give me constant power on? The thing is that when it's untwisted it's quite loose and I'm afraid I might loose it. Plus when going in the water I don't think that untwisted will be waterproof?

paulr

Flashaholic
The G2 is not a dive light. It will deal ok with being rained on, but don't take it into the water.

Aussie Cheese

Newly Enlightened
you wouldnt want to take type 2 anywhere near salt water anyway :nana:

i have found that nitro/nitro joins are extremely slippery when lubricated, even more so than Al/Al with nyogel+nanolube

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires aren't dive rated, I heard somewhere that they guarantee them waterproof to 30 feet but they are not dive lights. I used to make my L4 with me in the shower and I've used it in the rain. Never had a problem, you'll hear lots of anecdotal stories about how waterproof they are so you won't have to worry about them in normal use. If you plan on diving though best to use a light designed for it. If you must see how your G2 fares, get some thick silicone grease and slather it on the threads and o-ring. You may still get water in through the tailcap button or the bezel.

Not entirely sure what you mean by not twisting it all the way. There should be a 1/8 inch gap between the body and tailcap even when twisted on, this is normal.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the manual for the light (which covers similar models, too) SF says to turn the light on simply twist the tail cap until the light comes on. There's no need to screw it in all the way.

Backing off a bit allows for the light to be used momentarily. Backing off about another half turn allows the LOTC (lock out tail cap) to shut off the light and prevent it from accidentally coming on and running down the batteries. It shouldn't be necessary to have the LOTC too loose. Just twist the end off enough so that the light doesn't come on when you press down on the end of the LOTC.

Some models come with indicator/reference marks on the body of the light and on the LOTC so this is easy to do by just matching them up, but they are not on all models and aren't really necessary. With practice this becomes easy. There are optional tail caps with pushbutton switches if the LOTC isn't to your liking, but they cost about half as much or more than the price of the G2L. Go to the SureFire website for accessories and PDF files of the manuals.

Last edited:

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
The only SF light that I have seen for what your describing is this one. I don't know what the Max Depth is, or how long it can be submerged. This is the SureFire 6P-N model and I am thinking it could come in handy here in Florida, especially snorkeling at night to gig monster flounder.:twothumbs

I wonder how long it could take the salt water and maximum depth?

Anyone here at CPF know the vitals on this model?

6pn.jpg

blinder switch

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6PN is the same as a 6P. The only difference is that SureFire have tested that specific 6P and determined it to be waterproof to 33 metres, earning it the "N" rating. That's not to say that a non N-rated 6P won't perform just as well...they just haven't been verified by SureFire.

Note that if you open up the 6PN to remove the lamp assembly or batteries, the N-rating will be lost. You need to send it in to SureFire if you want to keep it.

Personally, if I were looking for a dive light I would look for something designed from the ground up for that purpose.

lukx - when you say the tailcap on your G2 is "loose" when unscrewed, what do you mean exactly? You should only be unscrewing the tailcap about a 1/4 turn from the on position unless you are using the Lock-Out feature. If the tailcap is actually loose after the 1/4 turn, then it sounds like there is a problem.

Regards,
Tempest