U-C Lite Big Beam 400W Sleeper (and a quick 250W sleeper)

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Sleeper 400W mod for the U-C Lite Big Beam

1x Big Beam 211
1x 64663 400W Osram Incan Bub
12x A123 Nano cells (1xDeWalt DC9360 + 2 Cells)
1x JM-SST (40V version)
1x KIU socket
Deans and Power Pole connectors
Ultra-Flexible 10 AWG cable (eg Muldental 6 qmm Silicone)
20/22 AWG Signal wire (eg Muldental 0.75 or 0.5 qmm Silicone)

250W GE4596 28V Sealed Beam for the 250W Sleeper Mod

Meet the Big Family
PK1000W - - Big Beam 400W - - Big Beam 250W

The Big Beam 211 is perfect for this Mod as it has a focusing bulb holder ! ! ! and room for 12x A123 cells ( no room for the DeWalt Built-In Charger so that has to be remote now )

Remove the 211 battery contact PCB from the case lid

Remove all the existing wiring from the head.

Fit a KIU socket in the bulb holder - just trim the KIU diameter down a bit until it fits right in - Dremel a couple of slots for the large glass envelope of the 64663 to fit down in.

The Big Red Pos feed goes straight to the KIU and the Neg side of the KIU goes to the solder point on the reflector/shroud for a return to the JM-SST via the lantern body.
The small red wire goes via the mechanical switch back down to the JM-SST for the power-on feed.

10 Cell Pack and 2 exta in line on the neg side - connected in via Power Pole connectors.
Red Pos feed up to the head. Small red swiched supply to the JM-SST (shrouded in blue tape) via a mini-Deans.
Soft-Starting Neg from the JM-SST attached to the handle retaining bolt.

Foam pad folds over and cushions everything nicely ! ! !

Head Assembled . . .

The Big-Beam 250 uses only 10 cells so no need for extra power poles - Basically the same arrangement - Deans waiting for the 10 cell pack.
You can also see the Neg feed attached to the handle bolt.
Extra mini-Deans not used in this conversion (used in a Thor Host mod with body mounted switch !)

250W GE4596 28V Sealed Beam unit (ala Vol'K'ano Sleeper by JetskiMark)
Mounted in a Ray-O-Vac vintage lantern head + 287-Switch.

PK1000W - - Big Beam 400W - - Big Beam 250W

Beamshots when I get a chance . . .

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Big Beam 400W Sleeper (and a quick 250W sleeper)

all my compliments I really like these mods!

it seems an old and dim lantern BUT....:devil:

BTW...that bulb is huge...:faint:

BVH

Flashaholic

It's great that you and other modders are breathing new life - Hyper-bright-life, into these trusty old lights! Nice work!

JetskiMark

Enlightened

Kudos on yet another great build.

Great minds think alike. I bought a Big Beam 211 in good condition with the intention of shoehorning a 64663 into it.

The difference is that you actually get things done and I just have the parts sitting around.

The head looked somewhat deep in pictures so I am disappointed that the reflector is so shallow. Is the reflector able to focus the large 64663 filament into a spot at all? Or is it all flood? How does it compare to your 1000W 4556? The 64663 in the Blitz reflector significantly out throws the 4556. The 4556 is a better flood light though.

I would also like to find a small secondary bulb that would work. A low wattage 40V bulb with the same base would be perfect but probably does not exist.

I almost bid on a gold version too but I figured I would wait until I finished my red 211 first.

I am looking forward to the beam shots.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks Guys - Yes that bulb is huge (except compared to the 1000W filament)

JetskiMark said:
The head looked somewhat deep in pictures so I am disappointed that the reflector is so shallow. Is the reflector able to focus the large 64663 filament into a spot at all? Or is it all flood? How does it compare to your 1000W 4556? The 64663 in the Blitz reflector significantly out throws the 4556. The 4556 is a better flood light though.

I would also like to find a small secondary bulb that would work. A low wattage 40V bulb with the same base would be perfect but probably does not exist.

Yes reflector is pretty shallow and only 4.5" Ø so never going to out-throw the HyperBlitz with its 9" Ø reflector but I am mildly surprised at how well it does focus - there is a lot of flood too of course as the filament is so close to the front of the mirror - about 140º spread from direct filament light. You have to hold it in front of you at all times or you just get blinded by catching sight of the filament . . .
:duck:

Haven't managed to find any little bulbs to fit the secondary ! Need a little P7+driver setup ! !! !!! Anybody ?

Cheers
Pete

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs

Ooh yeah!:bow:

:wow:

In all the sea of Maglites and mini-LED torches, it's great to see some mods to real torches.
:clap:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice mods pete. :thumbsup:

so whats next for you? HID monster? :poke:

Funny you should say that . . .

Bug eyed monster on the way - been done before but I'll post some pics of just how simple a mod it is - Almost totally Plug and Pray . . .

Cheers
Pete