Need a New Boombox

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
So, we're here at the campground (been here since Friday) and my cheap little ol' box decides to take a dump. Now I'm in the market for a good portable boombox. I want something of good quality, that has AM/FM/CD and MP3. A cassette deck is not mandatory. It has to run on C or D cells and be able to use AC. I want something that has great bass and doesn't distort when cranked-up. It also must sound clean when on low volume.

I've been searching, but like everything else, there's so much to choose from. Any suggestions?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. That was one that I came across in my reseach, along with:

Sony ZS-H10CP
Sony CFD-F10
JVC Kaboom RV-NB1
Sony CFDG505

According to the reviews, they all seem to have some type of issues, depending on the unit. I really liked the Kaboom, but it apparrently doesn't work well at all on FM.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as I said in the portable AM/FM thread, it's just hard to find a good radio these days as all the concentration seems to have shifted to MP3 players/iPods you can just dock. Could also be with HD-Radio coming more on the horizon, that the shift from analog radios has started since an HD-Radio will also act as analog when an HD signal is not present.

All current radios out there seem to be good/ok but none are what I would call outstanding.
Now if you could time travel back to the 80's...

Good luck in your search.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if you could time travel back to the 80's...
I still have a Sanyo dual casette mini boombox (MW770) that I bought back in the mid 80s. It still works great..in fact we use it every day.

I always wanted one of those slim Panasonic mini boomboxes from the 80s, but never got one.

paulr

Flashaholic
Get one with an aux input so you can plug in an mp3 player. CD is almost as dead as wax cylinders.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr

Flashaholic
I just happened to notice, tonight's Woot sellout (http://sellout.woot.com ) is pretty cool, an 8D-powered boom box with no CD or other obsolete media, just plug a portable player into it for amplification. I might order one.

Update: the discussion forum for that item links to a bunch of unfavorable reviews. After reading them I think I'll pass.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I still buy CD's once in a while, but as soon as I get one home I toss it into a computer and mp3 it for my matchbox-sized player. The CD itself is basically a frisbee at that point.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for feedback everyone. I appreciate it, however I wouldn't be so quick to write-offs CD's as being ancient history just yet.

I'm waiting for a Blu-Ray in-dash player that supports MP3s played from a Blu-Ray disc.
Could you imagine just how many songs...
:twothumbs

Check this out, the "Ghetto Blaster" has been brought into the 21 century.
http://www.geekalerts.com/ipod-ghetto-blaster/

Let us know how whichever boombox you choose is working for you.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice box in that link, Lit Up. It's outwardly similar to my first "suitcase" from the oily eighties. It consumed 50 watts AC and output an honest 10 watts per channel, RMS, 40Hz - 10kHz. The AM/FM tuner is sensitive and I still use it outdoors when more loud than quality is needed.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, I ordered the JVC Kaboom RV-NB1 from Amazon last night. I should have it early-mid next week. I just couldn't pass up all the positive reviews and comments posted by the dozens. I'll take my chances on the large size and heavy weight of this unit. If the FM reception isn't all that great in my area, I'll connect my cheap $10 transistor radio or something. Very worse case, I can return it, although shipping would probably kill me.

paulr

Flashaholic
I looked at the amazon link and it actually comes from Beach Audio?! I'd be really careful about that, it sounds related to Beach Camera, a notorious rip off schlock place. The boom box itself looks nice though, a 20 pound (!) monster with subwoofers and aux input. I hope you'll post a report once it arrives...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes, it does come from Beach Audio. I had went as far to almost order it directly from them, however when I added up the costs they were charging vs. what Amazon what charging vs. shipping from either place, it was cheaper getting it from Amazon. In addition, I have a better "feeling" ordering from Amazon.

The product already shipped and I'll have it sometime between June 03rd and the 06th. I'll post my thoughts here once I get it. Boy, the neighbors are going to be p*ssed.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Good luck in your search. The last 4 portable devices I've bought had pretty crappy receivers in them. I'm dying to find a box that gets good FM reception but as stated before the focus seems to be more on the CD/docking of an MP3 player these days. Perhaps when digital radio becomes more prevealent it will change.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Good luck in your search. The last 4 portable devices I've bought had pretty crappy receivers in them. I'm dying to find a box that gets good FM reception but as stated before the focus seems to be more on the CD/docking of an MP3 player these days. Perhaps when digital radio becomes more prevealent it will change.

Like I said, the one I ordered (JVC RV-NB1) has reported issues with not the best FM reception, however I'm going to take my chance. Other's have reported no issues with reception. Very worse case, I'll take my mini-transitor radio and plug it into this unit in the AUX port and go from there. At 25-lbs fully loaded, another half-pound won't kill me.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, it does come from Beach Audio. I had went as far to almost order it directly from them, however when I added up the costs they were charging vs. what Amazon what charging vs. shipping from either place, it was cheaper getting it from Amazon. In addition, I have a better "feeling" ordering from Amazon.
Please make sure to inspect the box very thoroughly and make sure no accessories are missing. Stripping out stuff like batteries and straps to sell them separately is one of the classic schlock camera store scams.