Does this happen to you?

Centropolis

Enlightened
I went camping two weekends ago and brought along a few flashlights with me......(L1D, L2T, G2L with R2 drop-in, Romisen RC-C3, Ultrafire SS C3 P4, Dexlight XV).....knowing that I'd only need one anyway.

So I find myself taking THREE flashlights with me on every trip to the washroom at night. Using a different one going to and diff. one coming back. I was like a kid playing with lego for the first time or something.

It's funny....we know we don't NEED more than one or two but we bring six anyways....

Anyway....just a little story....

Aluminous

Enlightened
It's funny....we know we don't NEED more than one or two but we bring six anyways....

You may not need more than one or two as long as things go well... but you never know when something might cause you to need more than expected. ;) Get lost in the woods and use up more lights' batteries, drop one in a creek, etc. And they might be lights designed to serve multiple different purposes, with two or three of each type, in which case there's actually much less redundancy than one might think when someone just says "six lights". :grin2:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Um, yeah, this does sound vaguely familiar... I usually have between 3-6 lights on, or near, my nightstand. :eek:

As for bringing 6 lights with you for camping... I used to do the same and I would like to think that it's because I'm bringing them along for friends who may need a light... or two... or three. Quite often, I've outfitted several friends on camping trips as their lights either stopped working, ie. they haven't changed the batteries since the last time they went camping (two years ago) and now, the batteries have leaked acid all over the inside of the light and it no longer works... or their light wasn't quite right for the task ie. they're carrying a 4D m*glite while trying to wash the dishes :ohgeez:.

Problem? I don't see a problem here... :grin2:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
counting the lights i have in my bag at the moment....

Tk10
T1
C2+malkoff
NDI
P1D-Q5

Pocket:
LF2X
E01

3 flashlights for a toilet trip is normal, One thrower, one general use, one long distance runner, would be my pick...

Crenshaw

Patriot

Flashaholic
Absolutely. Sometimes my behavior is sensible while other times it's over the top. I've actually had so many lights on me in camp before that it was almost more work to keep track of them...lol

:ohgeez:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not normal... :sick:

I only take two lights to the camping. One for pocket carry (IncenDio), and other for general use (L2D).

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what I would do when just car camping. Bring enough lights for everyone in the campground. Thrower, floody, compact, biggun, long runtime, blinkie modes, red, blue, IR, UV... and a couple backups in case all my first ones should fail... and solar chargers. :grin2:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Just what I would do when just car camping. Bring enough lights for everyone in the campground. Thrower, floody, compact, biggun, long runtime, blinkie modes, red, blue, IR, UV... and a couple backups in case all my first ones should fail... and solar chargers. :grin2:
What solar chargers are you using? That's something I've been curious about, but haven't seen very many options that work for this purpose (vs, for example, cellphones/Ipods only).

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What solar chargers are you using? That's something I've been curious about, but haven't seen very many options that work for this purpose (vs, for example, cellphones/Ipods only).
I'd actually like to know too....i am wondering how long a solar charger would take to fully charge a 14500/10440/18650 and so on....

Crenshaw

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Let's see.....Last camping trip I had Fenix P2D in pocket, HDS U60 to swap out with P2D, SF A2 with Aviatrix and Strion kit, SF E2E, SF M6 with X-LOLA -just in case I needed to reach out and touch someone, 4D Mag with LED upgrade in truck and an Energizer head lamp in truck for roadside emergencies. Actually kind of a light load for a normal camping trip. I usually carry at least 3 other lights. Never use them, but just in case. LOL.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can bring as many as, as jobs you can create for them, 1. Give your friend a 4D Maglite, 2. modded rayovac lantern with 12 watt flood light running on 18 AH, SLA batteries to light up your tent "for days on end:drool:" 3. Coalmen LED 3xAA "for when you want you tent dimmer for sleeping, runs for 5 days" 4. BigBeam 1766 C with a 150 watt par 46 running on SLA batteries "for lighting up the camp site" 5. Task force with Q5 to always have on you, 6. 6D xenon Mag for the share intimidation factor "my light is bigger then your light:huh:" 7. 10 D 32 watt rayovac for when the 6D Mag is too small:cool:. 8. MiniMag LED 3x AA when your friends needs a light in their tent. Well I ran out of jobs for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with more later:naughty:.

flashlite

Enlightened
I always bring five or six flashlights when I go camping but I usually end up using only one. The one I always end up using is just a 1AA light, which has been either the Gerber IU or the Inova X1. One of the other lights I always make sure I have along is a thrower but I only remember pulling that out once.

I haven't gone camping yet this year but I've just recently become a minimalist when it comes to flashlights. Besides the lights I keep in my cars, I took all my lights except for three and removed their batteries, wrapped them in newspaper and packed them away in a cardboard box. I should just sell them but there's always that part of me that thinks I may "need" them someday and regret that I've sold them. I've got a new light on its way to me right now but when I receive it, I plan on packing one of my remaining lights away. I really don't have any use for so many flashlights but I can't seem to stop buying them. I've decided that of the three that I keep handy, one will be a 1AA long-running general use light, one will be a thrower and one will be a loaner so that I'm never without the first two. They will probably all go camping with me.

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened
Well not really camping this weekend, but we are on the Hood Canal in WA with a dude with a M@g with the led option. After a little posturing, I whipped out the 2D M@g with the "M" module and showed him what a light really is. Nice clean white light vs a yellow mess. Followed up with the P2DQ5 to his M@g 2AA.

If you have the right lights, you don't need to take a bag full.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes bring more than one light with me for my camping/backpacking trips. I know I don't need more than one light and one headlamp, but I like the fact that I could test them outdoors when it gets really dark. This is because I live in NY where there's too much ambient light outside 24/7.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup , went camping this past weekend to a site where you can park your car so i thought what the hell i'll bring alot and leave the rest in the trunk.
i just about ended up using them all but only because i brought them.
i could get away with just my 2 led petzl headlamp.

in the real dark, anything over 100 lumen is unnecessary. the mag p7 was too bright. in fact i'm beginning to think it's not a very practical flashlight at all :p.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I knew I wasn't alone! In fact, I remember using more than one light at the same time just for the hell of it. I would have my Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp on and a Dexlight XV walking around the campsite.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
You take your flashlights outside the house? They might get dirty or something.

Yeah, you are weird.