MX-99I/U Flashlight

FNG

Enlightened
I found this in my garage and did some researching. I couldnt find any helpful sources but this one. Its a 2D flashlight with a very dim beam. The beamshape is pretty good though.

http://www.thevietnam-database.co.uk/HowtoRuck/Equipment.htm

Packing7.jpg

I found that it has 3 filters that came with it. One is a light white piece cardboard that im guessing is for using as a signaling device, a purple lens, and clear lens that im not sure how to explain it. It makes the beam go wider. The reflector is made of metal and is smooth but has some rust on it. Ill try to get some pictures in the next week with Kodak Picture CD. Can anyone else help me find more info about this light?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I've got 2 of those. They are still being manufactured, but the filters vary depending on the government contractor. They are available in basic olive drab and black. My samples are made by Fulton Industries and one of them only came with 2 filters (blue & red). I do remember my older one having been supplied with a clear lens as well as the blue and red filters. They also come with a spare bulb. The bulbs suck big time, so go to your local Walmart and replace them with Rayovac Krypton bulbs and feed them Alkaline batteries. With the Krypton bulb, you'll get a bright and very tight narrow beam. Definately not the best flashlight on the market, but it's very cheap and servicable.

If you want a link to Fulton's site, click HERE

C

Cosmic Superchunk

They really haven't changed much if at all (at least that I can tell) in the last few decades. Kinda like Maglites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can get new ones from around $5-$9 bucks, but since I'm not an expert on vintage militaria, I really could not say what the ones from the Vietnam War era are worth.

FNG

Enlightened
Looks like a great candidate for 3x123 modding. Already have the stuff to do it.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was the first real flashlight I ever bought with my own money I was about 10 years old and I paid $3 for it new in the govt. issue cardboard box at a surplus store near my home. That light was really a great light for a kid to have. Had the signal button the colored and diffuser filters and a clip to hang on your gear. Great for Scouting too I think every kid in the neighborhood wanted one after I showed up to play a summer night game of flashlight tag with it. I remember my Dad gave me a talking to for stealing every D battery in the house I could get my hands on. I still have the light, it is in my kitchen drawer with a Krypton bulb in it, I can't seem to part with it.

If anyone comes up with a cool mod for it let me know!!!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
you "found" this in your garage? i wish i could "find" military surplus around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FNG

Enlightened
Well I did the 3x123 mod but it was as bright because the reflector has some rust in it. In my Mag 2C though, its really white. You can easily fit 4 123 cells in the body but I dont have the right bulb.

Rail

Newly Enlightened
This was also my first flashlight, my father gave it to me when I joined the Scout program (2nd grade). It definitely attracted some attention while I was growing up and most of the flashlights around were walmart specials. I loved flashlight tag!

I now have two, buying a second for $5 when I got into high school. I had 4 filters, all plastic. One white map lens, transparent blue signal lens, tranparent red night vision lens, and clear white diffuser lens. Carries an extra bulb in the base as well. Very robust, easy to repair, and stays very water resistant if you keep the seals lubed.

These were my everyday flashlights up until recently after discovering LEDs and CPF, at which point they retired to the gear drawer. I've considered mods, such as an LED PR-2 bulb, Surge/LX bulb and new reflector, but I'm definitely hanging onto mine either way. As far as I know these are still GI. It'd be nice to get the same versatility and robust qualities in a modern light for under $10.

Any chance on pics of how you went about modding your MX-99?

avusblue

Enlightened
I had one of these as a kid, too, but it's now been long gone for years. I'd like to get another. Where can these be bought, either online or at retail? (new and authentic, not ebay used or cheapy copies)

Thanks,

Dave

Rail

Newly Enlightened
I don't know where you can find them online, but I guarantee you can find them new at your local MX/BX/PX military exchange. I picked up my second at Hanscom AFB a while back, it was cheap. They should definitely be less than $10, $5-$7 when I bought mine. The most common GI brand I've seen is Fulton, though my original is a "GTP/GI Price", both of which I appear to be well made. There are alot of cheapo imitations out there, so you might want to ask a few questions before ordering online. However, I have come across a company that appears to make a full line of MX-99 style lights, 2D, 2AA, etc. While I personally don't have one they seemed like decent lights, though I can't remember the price. Does anyone know what site/company I'm talking about? If I can find it, I'll post it here.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i modded a mx-991/u with 6 nimh a cells,a cheap 5.0x2.1mm jack,a mag xenon prototype bulb,and a white led for a charging indicator.there is plenty of room in the old anglehead for the goodies.used a 100 ohm 1w resistor for charge current limiting and a diode for blocking so it charges anytime the key is on in the car.i put a real glass lense in it too.had to take out the spring and spare bulb plate to get it to fit.a tight squeeze but it goes back together watertight.