Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WF-400 Cree Q2 2-Mode

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

HoloCoCos

Newly Enlightened
After 2 weeks reading this forum, this is my first post, and I need help.

I live in Brazil and want to buy a flashlight under $50 (flashlight + batteries + charger + shipping), so I prefer DX.

I will use it in my bike, riding at the city and maybe at the countryside, then my first priority is runtime.

I think a 3-mode is perfect: a high mode with a far beam and about 2 hours runtime, a low mode to use most of the time with at least 4-5 hours runtime and finally a strobe mode, to use when I want the cars to see me when riding on illuminated streets.

I prefer the 18650 battery because of the runtime, but I can handle with rechargeables AA or AAA (I already have this charger and batteries). I don't want primary CR123A, for ecological reasons.

Now flashaholics, wich are my best choices? During my researchs I selected the folowing ones, in this order:

Romisen RC-U4 Cree P4 3-Mode
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11119
I really liked this because of price, battery options, brand (seems to be the best brand in DX - in this price range) and modes, but I couldn't find a review, a runtime graph or a brightness comparison

Ultrafire C2 Cree Q5 5-Mode
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10853
I had almost bought this when I saw the RC-U4, it seems to be very bright, lot's of people have good reviews on C2's, but there are complaints about the highly sensitive tail cap and only 3 stars at DX

Fenix L2D CE Cree 6-Mode
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=195
Lots of flashaholics indicated this and it has a long runtime in high/mid modes, plus a brightly "turbo" mode, strobe, great quality and possible the best Chinese brand. It's brightness is wonderful for this size and runtime, but is the most expensive of my "dream list".

Conqueror M-C1 Cree Q5 5-Mode
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10367
Liked this because someones says this is an "evolution of C2", but there are complaints about quality and only 3 stars at DX

Smartfire V-68C Cree Q5 4-Mode
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10301
Don't have an opinion on this... but feels like a good one, with 4,5 stars at DX

WF-400 Cree Q2 2-Mode
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5448
Have an excellent runtime at bessiebenny's comparison (the 1-Mode) and 4 stars at DX

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Fenix L2T v2 Q2 from the fenix-store.com is <$48. You can also get 8% off with coupon code CPF8.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=335

This will be well below $50, and will offer significantly more quality or features than any of the lights you are thinking about.

Two modes, controlled by a twist-switch, plus a forward-clicky rear on-off switch... if you already have NiMH AA rechargeables - that sounds like the ticket for you.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want good output and good runtime. I'd go with something with more reviews like the WF-400. Romsien has gotten pretty good reviews but always be wary of low reviewed or newer products.

The WF-400 with good budget batteries and a decent charger is around $42 total shipped.

The RC-N3 might work too. Buy two and use then one at a time. Presuming good AA rechargeable batteries it should give you around 5-6 hour total runtime.

Any more specifics, like more specific runtime requirements or battery requirements?

:welcome:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, none of the lights you've linked. They all have tight spots, unsuitable for riding a bicycle. I use a fenix L2D on my bike without problems, but the strobe is too powerful to use as a be seen feature IMO. Also IMO, 10 the lumen low is only enough to be seen by- you won't be able to ride just by its light. The L2D gives you more options than the L2T, so you can better balance runtime and battery life. Something with a small reflector will give a larger hotspot, which is what you need, so how about this?

edit: RC-N3 is far too spotish for bike riding.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Good point Jarl.

So with that in mind, the Aurora V6 would be a good choice presuming at least decent perforamnce and build quality.

The Fenix L2T V2.0 or L2D-CE Q5 might be a good choice too. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

cv3po

Banned
This sounds like how I use my Fenix LOD Q4! On high (with NiMH) you get an hour of runtime (so just carry spare batt?) and low is 6-7 hours. It also has a strobe if I can see well enough and want to make SURE that I can be seen (like on narrow roads). If you already have the batts then it's under $50 with the coupon.

HoloCoCos

Newly Enlightened
meuge, Jarl, Gunner12 & cv3po: Thanks for the Fenix suggestions! I really liked L2D Q5 and liked L2D CE very much, even more the one that comes with an E01 for + $6 :D

meuge: the problem with L2T, IMH, is that 16 lumens in low mode and 2,5 horus in high mode, with only this two modes, won't satisfy my needs... but the L2D CE have more options of output & runtime, and sounds great

Jarl & Gunner12: the Aurora V6 Cree P4 and the Romisen RC-N3 has only one mode... so no, thanks.

Gunner12: the WF-400 was my first choice after I saw bessiebenny's reviews, because of the extremely high runtime, but I was thinking that one with a Q5 emitter could give me more brightness and runtime.

and finally, Jarl: do you think that if I change the reflector to an OP one I will have a spot not so tight?

Buck

Newly Enlightened
I bike-commute a fair amount with an L2D Rebel 100 taped to the top of my helmet. Not sure how the spot on that compares with an L2D CE, but mine has a bigger hotspot than the Cree Romisen lights I have. Most of my route is reasonably well lighted, so I can't really say if it would be adequate for riding away from supplemental lights. That really depends on how fast you are going, of course! If you are not screaming down hills, it should be bright enough.

The strobe mode is really too bright, but that kicks *** in traffic, and on all but the sunniest days, it's highly effective in daylight as well. Even on sunny days, I think drivers see me and think I'm closer than I really am, so are more likely to yield. On the bikeway, people coming the other way do get annoyed sometimes. I turn my head a little so they're not in the hot-spot, but the spill is still so bright that they don't realize that! As we used to say in Boulder Velo Club, "the Tough poop rule is in full effect."

The helmet mount is great for aiming at cars coming down side-streets when you have right-of-way and don't want them pulling out in front of you. Should also be good for ensuring that the road or trail is lighted where you need it, not where your handlebar is pointed. I have the WF-400, and it is really bright, but way too heavy to be comfortable on the helmet. Also, I remember seeing reports of the cheap Li-ion cells failing after very few cycles, which would make them seem MUCH less inexpensive, although maybe that was not so bad with the 18650s?? Anyway, AA NiMH are cheaper per cell and you probably already have a brand you like and trust, so that might be worth considering.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
and finally, Jarl: do you think that if I change the reflector to an OP one I will have a spot not so tight?

I'm guessing you're referring to the fenix. IMO (owning a textured and a smooth l2d) go for the textured. The L2D isn't a thrower, so don't try to turn it into one, and if the emitter is slightly off centre you are screwed with a smooth reflector. With a textured reflector, the beam pattern won't be so bad.

Not sure about the E01/L2D combo. The E01 on your bars would help with be seen, and also act as an emergency backup, but the extra lumens from the premium Q5 version are probably very useful while cycling.

HoloCoCos

Newly Enlightened
with an L2D Rebel 100 taped to the top of my helmet [...] mine has a bigger hotspot than the Cree Romisen lights I have [...] Should also be good for ensuring that the road or trail is lighted where you need it, not where your handlebar is pointed.

I ordered a TwoFish and was planning to use it in my bike handlebar, but use it in the helmet might be a better way to use it.

So, a L2D mounted in the helmet, pointing to where I look is better than a C2-like with OP reflector mounted in the handlebar pointed to somewhere ahead in the ground, right?

The strobe mode is really too bright, but that kicks *** in traffic, ..., it's highly effective in daylight as well.

Very good to now! I plan to use it when riding between and alongside cars...

HoloCoCos

Newly Enlightened
After this replies to my post, I see that there are more than output and runtime involved in my needs, so these are the characteristics that I'm looking for:
  1. price - under $50 with batteries, charger and shipping (already have rechargeable AA, AAA and the proper charger)
  2. batteries - AA, AAA or 18650
  3. runtime - 2 hours in high and 4-5 hours in mid (low mode with +10 hours is good but not necessary)
  4. brightness - difficult to describe, but at least a medium mode with enough light to see something the size of 2 cars in front of me and as much as possible in high mode (this is a very inexact characteristic)
  5. spread - as much as possible to make my riding safe (see where I'm riding)
  6. portability (in helmet) - desirable to be thin and light if the spread is the best characteristic - so I'll mount it in my helmet, but can be heavy and big if the throw is it's best - so I'll mount it in my handlebar
  7. throw - I even don't know if it's necessary when riding in the city... so this isn't something I'm looking for

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't settle for LESS than what you really want!

Delay your purchase, save up your money, buy what your really want!

If you spend $50 on something, when you know full well you would rather have something else, in the end you will shortchange yourself. If you do this, a year from now you will have two or three $50 lights and still not be as happy as when you finally buy what you should have in the first place!

In my personal opinion this just serves to make Flashaholics, since they always buy less than, and consequently are always lusting for something more.

Many here will disagree with me however.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be very happy with the L2D people have suggested. L2T v2 to save a few dollars, a L2D R100 if you really need warm smooth flood, or a L2D Q5 for the best overall performance. I have a L2D Q5, and I know that it will be a much used tool long after its LED is outdated. Quality is simply amazing compared to DX.

HoloCoCos

Newly Enlightened
Final Decision

Okay, you all convinced me, I'll buy a Fenix L2D!

Now, is there any real, visible, difference among L2D CE and L2D Q5?

L2D Q5 - $57,5 (with the discount), but I'll pay more $34,5 of importation fees - total $92

General Mode:
  • 12 lumens (55hrs)
  • 53 lumens (10.5hrs)
  • 107 lumens (4hrs)
  • SOS
Turbo Mode:
  • 180 lumens (2.4hrs)
  • Strobe
L2D CE - $46,08 (with discount), it's tax free for me (under $50 we don't have to pay importation fees in Brazil)

General Mode:
  • 9 lumens (55hrs)
  • 40 lumens (10.5hrs)
  • 80 lumens (4hrs)
  • SOS
Turbo Mode:
  • 135 lumens (2.4hrs)
  • Strobe
Probably I'll buy a L2D CE, unless I find a 20% discount at Fenix-Store :)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Final Decision

The L2D is a great light. If the Q5 is so much more expensive then the standard P4 version is still a good light to go for. I think that 4-7's mentioned that most of the standard L2D's were actually better emitters than P4's (Q2+Q3's) anyway, which is good.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Final Decision

You can probably ask a few of the Brazil members here and see I they had to pay the fee, because I remember a few of the European members were able to avoid the fee.

Both are good lights, so your choice.