SF combat grip / uniform HELP!

Ranger

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I carry a SF M2 for duty. I am very used to employing my SF from the speed holster on my duty belt and really could not see having it any other way. I work in the dark a lot and need a light on my belt that I can employ immediately if I dont have it out. My problem is the darn black rubber combat grip rubs off on my uniform! it looks terrible! I wear a Kaki colored uniform shirt and each has a black mess all over it from the combat grip rubbing off on it. I have tried everything including tape. I wrote SF a detailed letter and they never bothered answering it. I bought a Z2 and I know I will have the same problem with it. So can any of the Officers here help me. Whats the solution?
Thanks

Ranger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I have trained to use the grip the way it is and do not want to change it. Maybe I can replace the rubber combat grip with a metal grip?? I dont know. Its very frustrating. I was hoping someone on here would have a solution for me. This is certainly the place to learn about lights! Thanks for any assistance.

zven

Enlightened
Well, I'm not a LEO, nor have I had the combat ring on my C2 put marks on my clothes (at least, not that I've noticed so far). In terms of various small, garden variety fixes, I don't think there's much that can be done to prevent the marks from being made. I don't think it would be practical to try and remove the ring and replace it with something else, and without seeing the speed-holster first-hand, I couldn't say whether any modifications come to mind.

So, without having the speed-holster, I ought to ask: is there any way to position the M2 in the holster so that its clip is
facing towards your body, and thus that the parts of the ring that stick out don't rub the uniform when it's in the holster or being drawn? That's about the only "simple fix" I could personally think of.

The other thing that comes to mind is that various aftermarket bodies exist for the 6P/M2/etc. lights (as well as tailcaps, heads, etc.). I'm fairly certain there are bodies out there that have combat rings similar to what the M2/Z2 already have, but in metal rather than rubber. Others will have to chime in as to what exactly those bodies are, where to find them, and so forth. Also, I have no idea if they still work with the speed-holster.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome:
Thanks. I have trained to use the grip the way it is and do not want to change it. Maybe I can replace the rubber combat grip with a metal grip?? I dont know. Its very frustrating. I was hoping someone on here would have a solution for me. This is certainly the place to learn about lights! Thanks for any assistance.
Ranger, I'm sure one of the resident machinists could make you a replacement ring out of black delrin. They hang out at the Custom and Modified BST section.

Or.. could you coat the ring with clear paint?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am told that a true flashaholic would switch agencies to one that wears dark blue uniforms so the marks don't show.:grin2:

Drummer

Newly Enlightened
Or you could pull the black rubber off and rig one with parachute chord...:D

On another note, soaking the rubber ring in something (maybe epoxy?) would create a hard shell on it to prevent it rubbing on your shirt.

An easier option might be to change flashlight duty belt holders to one that positions your light differently.

Ranger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info everyone. I came up with a brilliant solution! I wrapped the dam thing in electrical tape!
I might try and epoxy it after the tape starts falling off.

rala

Newly Enlightened
How about getting a nitrile or latex exam glove used in hospitals. Then cut off one of the small fingers and its finger tip and then stretch it over the ring/grip. I think it would work better than the slippery surface of the electrical tape as the ring/grip covered by the glove would retain some of stickiness yet slide off your uniform.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
hmm, i love gaffer tape, never leaves a sticky residue, so u can replace it offten as u like, i use it on my fenix. and it stays on pretty well.

do they have shrink tube big enough for that? lol

i like the clear paint idea, but i wonder when the rubber flexes, would it break up the paint job? and u'd be left with the rubber exposed again?

u should tell ur department to get darker uniforms, our local PD switched from light blue tops to dark gray for tactical purposes at night.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually they do make shrink wrap big enough, but the stuff I used became like 1/8 thick after it was heated (started off about 1.5" and shrunk to about 3/4".

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
You could try putting some 1 1/2 heat shrink tubing, 2-1 or 3-1 ratio, with adhesive inside over the rubber ring. Would take a bit of dexterity to not melt the rubber inside but if you are reasonably careful I think it can be done.

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Z3 tailcap down so it hasn't been an issue thankfully, as we have light blue uniforms.

1HI4X

Newly Enlightened
Wow, Z3 - that's an oldie!
The Z3 has to be my favorite light thus far, especially with the 6PD bezel. I haven't tried the M3/M3T yet but I think it may be next. I have 4 Z3s at the moment. If I'd kept the ones I'd sold I'd have 9! :eek:

Top to bottom: Z3, 7Z, 6Z

100_1130webcopyrightforum.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for sharing the photo of the three CombatLights together :thumbsup:

I've always liked the Z3, (especially with M2 bezel though).
I have 7Z - it looks and feels too long though.
Strangely though the 12ZM doesn't (although one could argue that it is too long for the CombatGrip...)

Last edited:

Ranger

Newly Enlightened
Great ideas everyone. Thank you.
I am going to try some shrink tubing and "gaffer tape"? The glove ideo would probably work too but my vest rubs on the grip so much it would likely tear off. I just cant come out with it as ast as I'd like with it grip down in the holster so I have stayed with the M2 and Z2 with grip up. i love both of them. In the speed holster they ride pretty high. A little too high for anything longer..otherwise I think I'd love the Z3 and m3. Thanks again. If I ever get something solid I'll post a picture.