Fenix LOD operation

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
I've been drooling over the fenix lod for a while and Im pretty sure Im gonna give in and buy one soon, but i was just curious as to how people who own one feel about the way it switches between modes, it seems a little weird to me, but maybe its easy to get used to I dunno, or do you feel like you just end up using it on the medium setting and ignoring the other modes?

aussiebob

Enlightened
I mainly just use medium and ocasionaly low for reading etc, never really use high unless its the only light ive got on me and im outside and its really dark. And i never use the strobe or SOS.
You rotate the head to turn it on and off and to change modes you have to turn it off then back on within a couple seconds.
You would be fine pretending its a single mode light.
And its really easy to use.:wave:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it would be very strange too.

But I got one recently, and it is a great UI and very easy to twist on / off / change modes single-handedly.

I love it!! Get one and you will seriouly love it.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I don't really see my self ever using strobe or SOS except maybe to show off to friends, but it kinda bugs me that high and low aren't easier to access.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's VERY easy to access!!!

It's every bit as delicious in person / in your hand as it is in those pictures.

Trust me you will love the UI and the ease of operation. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
I tend to use medium most often (for finding my way out of the office at night) due to convenience, high when medium isn't enough, and low for using the light in candle mode for longish periods. I use rechargeable AAA's so runtime and battery consumption basically aren't an issue most of the time. I never use SOS or strobe modes and would like to get rid of them. I'd also like to get rid of medium since if runtime is an issue I use low, and if output is more important I use high. For simplicity's sake I'd also like to get rid of low and use a separate light for long runtime, but that's a matter of preference, I can certainly see rationale for keeping low.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Don't let it put you off you will quickly get used to the UI, it is quite simple to use and can be used one handed quite easily. Personally i would use the high mode the most, with medium probably second.

When and if you get it you will be truly surprised at how small the light is and how much light can come from such a small package.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to use medium most often (for finding my way out of the office at night) due to convenience, high when medium isn't enough, and low for using the light in candle mode for longish periods. I use rechargeable AAA's so runtime and battery consumption basically aren't an issue most of the time. I never use SOS or strobe modes and would like to get rid of them. I'd also like to get rid of medium since if runtime is an issue I use low, and if output is more important I use high. For simplicity's sake I'd also like to get rid of low and use a separate light for long runtime, but that's a matter of preference, I can certainly see rationale for keeping low.
Sounds like the LF2X is better suited for your preferences. :)

I have both LF2X and L0D. I love both now. I can't believe how nice and useful these 1AAA lights really are!! :party:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
Well, I didn't really need a whole lot of encouragement, I was gonna give in eventually. Thanks though for the input guys. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
A few people have mentioned the LF2X. Maybe I'll look into it sometime. I don't feel much desire for more of these computerized lights though, amazing as they are. I want something really well made with 1 level and no computer. I have a Peak Baltic in titanium which I thought might be the answer, but IMO it's too big and it has some annoying electronic idiosyncrasies. Maybe someday someone will get all this stuff straightened out.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I didn't really need a whole lot of encouragement, I was gonna give in eventually. Thanks though for the input guys. :)
No, you really, really, really ought to get them NOW!!! :naughty::naughty:

I waited so long, but when I got it, I was like whoa why did I wait so long? :mecry:

:devil: Get it now!!!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few people have mentioned the LF2X. Maybe I'll look into it sometime. I don't feel much desire for more of these computerized lights though, amazing as they are. I want something really well made with 1 level and no computer. I have a Peak Baltic in titanium which I thought might be the answer, but IMO it's too big and it has some annoying electronic idiosyncrasies. Maybe someday someone will get all this stuff straightened out.
well with the LF2X it is complext to program, but once it's done you most likely will never have to do it ever again. :poke:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Medium is the best compromise between useable brightness and runtime in an AAA light.
Low for extended runtime or close in work.
High should be used sparingly as it drains the batteries real fast (you would not want to be left in the dark because of a dead battery).

The mode changing in the L0D is easy and very solid. The speed in which you twist off then back on again is not critical.
Unlike my MTE pushbutton 5 mode where I have to tap the button just right or it won't switch.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Medium is the best compromise between useable brightness and runtime in an AAA light.
Low for extended runtime or close in work.
High should be used sparingly as it drains the batteries real fast (you would not want to be left in the dark because of a dead battery).

The mode changing in the L0D is easy and very solid. The speed in which you twist off then back on again is not critical.
Unlike my MTE pushbutton 5 mode where I have to tap the button just right or it won't switch.
The trick to using a L0D or similar light is to always have a spare light, always.

In my case I always have my E0, another AAA light. So if battery dies on the L0D, I can just use the E0, or take the AAA out of the E0 and swap it into the L0D for more bright run time.

AAA batteries are also very tiny and easily carried in a separate pocket / pack as needed. :)

Grock

Newly Enlightened
I also love my LOD that I decided to get another one with a Q4 bulb.

Its very easy to turn the head with one hand and I use it all the time since AAA battery is cheaper than CR123's. I also use it as a back up light when I leave the house because it does not take up too much space.

The strobes and SOS will come in handy someday.

paulr

Flashaholic
L0D high runs over an hour which is comparable to the Surefire E2e which was the favorite EDC here back in the day. What is the matter with you guys? :D

I'm not worried about being left in the dark, I have other lights available, spare batteries, etc. Even if it's the only light I have, I just don't see what the problem is. I can sit around in the dark without melting. The light is mostly for getting from one place to another in the dark without bumping into things, and I don't need an hour of runtime for that. If the runtime on high was 5 minutes I'd see your point, but an hour is quite a long time.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
does anyone also have a fenix L1D? I'm pretty sure its too big to keep on a keychain comfortably, but maybe some ppl do? Its also a very nice looking light.

RyanMPLS

Newly Enlightened
I've been drooling over the fenix lod for a while and Im pretty sure Im gonna give in and buy one soon, but i was just curious as to how people who own one feel about the way it switches between modes, it seems a little weird to me, but maybe its easy to get used to I dunno, or do you feel like you just end up using it on the medium setting and ignoring the other modes?

It depends! If you use standard alkaline or NMHi/Eneloops then medium is what you will hit up most and this is the first hit on a twist which is very very often enough light and where you will use the light. The triple click to high is a pain and more to hit strobe/SOS is blah but who uses these? If looking for a low light to wander about at night the E01 is a better choice than the L0D.

If, like myself and a lot of other CPF'ers, you run 10440's you'll find yourself doing a double twist to hit the 'low' setting for 'normal' operation. I almost always run on low while running 10440s whether it's watching the grill or anything else but I like having the higher setting for wow and just to blind people from time to time.

Sometimes strobe while at a karokee gig can be worthwhile. :grin2:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone also have a fenix L1D? I'm pretty sure its too big to keep on a keychain comfortably, but maybe some ppl do? Its also a very nice looking light.
Yes I have L1D. I consider it on the border of being too big as a key chain light.

I consider the L0d, L1D, and L2D to be must have lights for those who consider AA/AAAs.

PS - this comparison review by unknownVT shows the relative size of the L0D / L1D. I loved his comparison threads since it shows the relative sizes of each flashlight.

The lights seem much bigger though in the pictures than when actually compared to in person.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

I had one and sold it. Yes it is too big for a keychain, but fine for a pocket light. I don't like it's UI but that's another matter, and a subjective one. If you want a computerized and very flexible 1AA light, look at the LRI Proton. I don't have one myself yet but one of these days will probably give in and buy one.

Main use for an AA these days = when you can't easily put your hands on more batteries, e.g. travel or camping. Otherwise these AAA lights we're discussing are bright enough for most purposes and are a lot smaller. With an L0D Q4 and a pack of Eneloops and a charger, you're ready for almost anything.

Last edited:

Latest posts