Ultrafire 602C Seoul SSC 42180 extremely hot

george74

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
I am new to this and need some help.
I've just received my second one of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2978
The first one gets quite warm after several minutes but it's ok. The one I got today gets warm immdiately and after 1 minute is so hot I can no longer hold it in my hand. What can be the reason for this? Can I do anything short of having it replaced? The 2 are equally bright btw.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Either the first one doesn't have very good heatsinking, or the second one has a short.

This similar light from KD seems to have more output on 1 AAA then the Ultrafire one with 1 AAA.

:welcome:

george74

Newly Enlightened
Why should the first one have a bad heatsink? It doesn't get too hot.
Thanks for the link, may try it someday.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Does the LED shift blue with longer use(in the light that runs cooler)?

If it shifts blue, that is a sign of overheating for the Seoul P4 LED.

Which battery are you using?

LEDs can create quite a bit of heat. Presuming no short, a LED driven at a decent current in a light that size should heat up the light pretty well. Maybe not hot(depends on the current) but there should be a noticeable increase in heat.

If not much heat is felt, that means there isn't a good thermal path, or the LED is driven at a low current(then the light would be dimmer).

george74

Newly Enlightened
I cannot see any color shift in either of the units.
The cooler one gets very warm after a couple of minutes, the hot one gets so hot that I can no longer hold it after only 1 minute.
I use the original batteries from the above link Both units seem to have exactly the same amount of light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Besides a short, a bad driver, or a bad battery(probably not), there's not much else I can guess, I don't know too much technical stuff.